• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thread with "Cow" in it for actual meat conversation

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As I've been getting older, I care more and more about what I put in my body and have found that for taste and overall quality, organic and "free range" products are better. YMMV of course.
Yeah, I am not getting the same mileage as you. I rarely can tell the difference, so rare it is probably within the margin of error of my anecdotal survey meter. What truly makes a difference is how fresh the food is and how it was handled. Speaking of handling, I remain concerned about the prevalence of food poisonings from organic products. The research is all over the map. Seems more safe then years ago. But organic production of many foods results in more exposure to bacteria and other "natural" baddies. As I see it, you are just picking your poison. Artificial or natural.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Also, most beef that is not labeled grassfed is in fact likely fed grass for the first 90% of its life and is only fed grain to fatten it up in the last 10% of its life. If you can’t find grassfed where you live, or can’t afford it, then regular USDA beef is probably still a decent option.
Exactly. I think even scarier though is pork production in the US. I've been trying to source vegetarian-diet pork products as much as possible. It's clear to me that non-traditional industrial feed products are detrimental to health of the animal, the ecosystem, and even the downstream consumer. Just look at what we feed pigs:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Exactly. I think even scarier though is pork production in the US. I've been trying to source vegetarian-diet pork products as much as possible. It's clear to me that non-traditional industrial feed products are detrimental to health of the animal, the ecosystem, and even the downstream consumer. Just look at what we feed pigs:

Fun fact: China has a “Strategic Pork Reserve”, they also had serious concerns when African Swine Fever decimated their hog population.

Also, you may be interested in the series “Rotten” on Netflix which discusses various parts of the food industry.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
A 4 Star Staff Sergeant Pilot with a Navy Cover fetish all because his hair is UnSat? I bet this one gets fed Fake Beef and it enjoys it. As if recruitment numbers aren't bad enough. https://thepatriotnation.net/what-they-are-planning-to-feed-our-navy-is-absolutely-sickening/
I’ve found that most cavalry-cop, Marine super-senior enlisted aviators with naval officer covers have more years in the suck. This guy is impressive! Must be the fake meat he consumes.

number9

Contributor
CAFOs are horrendous.

Fun fact: China has a “Strategic Pork Reserve”, they also had serious concerns when African Swine Fever decimated their hog population.

Also, you may be interested in the series “Rotten” on Netflix which discusses various parts of the food industry.

King Corn is another excellent documentary, as is Food, Inc. The book Fast Food Nation is also very much worth reading, and so is virtually anything written by Michael Pollan ("The Omnivore's Dilemma" is a great place to start).

The more you know about industrial-scale food production, the less you will wish you know. The single most interesting class I took as an undergrad was "The Political Economy of Food", which really opened up my eyes.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CAFOs are horrendous.

King Corn is another excellent documentary, as is Food, Inc. The book Fast Food Nation is also very much worth reading, and so is virtually anything written by Michael Pollan ("The Omnivore's Dilemma" is a great place to start).

The more you know about industrial-scale food production, the less you will wish you know. The single most interesting class I took as an undergrad was "The Political Economy of Food", which really opened up my eyes.
Pollan is awesome. Recommend all his stuff too.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
A 4 Star Staff Sergeant Pilot with a Navy Cover fetish all because his hair is UnSat? I bet this one gets fed Fake Beef and it enjoys it. As if recruitment numbers aren't bad enough. https://thepatriotnation.net/what-they-are-planning-to-feed-our-navy-is-absolutely-sickening/

The wifey and I tried a couple of different versions of the fake meat when a bunch of the stuff went on sale for like 70% off a couple years ago. We figured, "Why not... let's see what the hype is all about."

Personal anecdotes-
1. It smells horrible while cooking- like, the first time we cooked it we did not want to eat the spaghetti sauce we made with it based on how it smelled while cooking it the same way we cooked ground beef.
2. It tastes similar to beef in spaghetti sauce, but we didn't find this out until after the cooking smell had cleared out.
3. Burgers also kind of taste the same, but the texture is off.
4. We prefer making bean burgers- our thought process is that if we're going meatless we'd rather season something to taste more of what it is than what it isn't. Bean burritos work. Fake meat bean burritos don't.
5. It's not worth the cost.
6. It really isn't any healthier.
7. Anything made with this stuff tastes better than the Veggie MRE option meals.

I understand the veggie folks who think that killing animals for any reason is wrong. I don't agree (I think more like the folks across the world who are thankful that a living being gave their life to sustain mine... but that's just, like, my opinion man).

I suppose there is a niche market for this stuff. To be honest, it wasn't that bad, but it's not good enough of a replacement for real meat, and it's not any healthier. So there are no reason for a meat eater to switch to it.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only if you hard pass on anything labeled "blade tenderized." Which basically leaves you wagyu ground beef and primal cuts for BBQ. I've already had *E. coli* once, and I'm in no hurry to pick between having it again or eating shoe leather.

taxi1

pilot
I remember watching some cooking show (Giada was a judge, that was the important thing) and one of the contestant's themes was "meat as a side dish". To the extent I can, I try to follow that mantra. Move it from the center of the meal to something that compliments the meal.

Except for visits to Fogo de Ciao. Or Carnivores in Nairobi.

Leg of lamb, pork, ostrich, rump of beef, sirloin, rack of lamb, spare ribs, sausages, skewered kidneys, even crocodile​

Meats are roasted on traditional maasai swords over a huge charcoal pit that dominates the restaurant's entrance. The rough-hewn beams combine the rustic feel of a rural setting with that of a medieval banqueting hall.

The Carnivore doesn't conform to the familiar restaurant traditions. First, the soup of the day along with a plate of home baked bworn bread and butter are served. Then, an army of carvers move table to table, swords laden carving juicy cuts onto sizzling cast-iron plates. Accompanying the meat feast is a selection of salads, vegetable side dishes and sauces

The feeding frenzy doesn't stop until you declare defeat by lowering the white paper flag perched atop the central tray. This is then followed by dessert and coffee. The full meal including the soup course is at a set price. A vegetarian menu is also offered.

number9

Contributor
I remember watching some cooking show (Giada was a judge, that was the important thing) and one of the contestant's themes was "meat as a side dish". To the extent I can, I try to follow that mantra. Move it from the center of the meal to something that compliments the meal.

I went to Carnivore on the way to my honeymoon.. highly recommended. Oryx was my favorite! It's very tasty.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Only if you hard pass on anything labeled "blade tenderized." Which basically leaves you wagyu ground beef and primal cuts for BBQ. I've already had *E. coli* once, and I'm in no hurry to pick between having it again or eating shoe leather.
How is blade tenderized more likely to give you e coli then ground meat?

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot

Given how toxic carbs are now recognized for, what else could be at the center of the meal? Broccoli?

taxi1

pilot
Given how toxic carbs are now recognized for, what else could be at the center of the meal? Broccoli?
Cauliflower, green leafy stuff, rice, I love corn, brussel sprouts, taters, shrooms, all peppers and tomatoes, olives, fruits and nuts, any of that Mediterranean diet stuff. Really, just portion size. I grew up eating "Meat and three" and now it's more like "four of which one is meat"