• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THIS is what I REALLY fly! (That's an E-6B, not EA-6B!)

sbeaTm08

Wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one
pilot
Their last CO apparently made it clear that he wanted to bring the bunny back and the squadron did his bidding. When they come home from Aghanistan, every single jet had the Playboy bunny painted on the tail and all the aircrew were wearing the original bunny patch. Not all the jets are pictured here but they all had it.
From their last fly in:

I'm glad he did. In VMAQ-1, back several years ago, they had the bunny in random places trying to keep it low key.

jmcquate

Contributor
The Q-2 guys used to keep a little bunny path under thier squdron patch. Good to see it's back. Speaking of bunnies, is VX-4 still around?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I ran into the VMAQ-2 guys several times on deployment and they always seemed to be wearing the bunny patch.

VQ-2 is still around and in Whidbey but apparently not for long, I the squadron goes the way of the dodo bird next year with the drawdown of the EP-3.

The Q-2 guys used to keep a little bunny path under thier squdron patch. Good to see it's back. Speaking of bunnies, is VX-4 still around?

No, VX-4 and VX5 merged and became VX-9. They kept a det of F-14s down at Pt Mugu until '04 or so and last I saw it in '03 it had a bunny on it's tail, much to my surprise. One of their maintainers helped fix our bird and he said the CO had it painted on to see what would happen and there hadn't any complaints yet at the time, and it had been a little while since they put it back on. Unfortunately shortly thereafter their CO got relieved in part because some of the squadron guys visited the Playboy mansion.

Here is a thread with a little more backstory on it all, bunny tails on 'Vandy One' and all (pics ain't coming up though? :():

http://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/vx-squadrons.14026/

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My personal favorite for subtlety was the jet that is currently on a stick at Ault Field Rd and WA-20. It came in from the Death Jesters, but had the "CY" on the tail in the shape of the bunny head.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I ran into the VMAQ-2 guys several times on deployment and they always seemed to be wearing the bunny patch.

VQ-2 is still around and in Whidbey but apparently not for long, I the squadron goes the way of the dodo bird next year with the drawdown of the EP-3.
Huh what? Why are we putting new center wing boxes and new wings on so many EP3's then?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Q-4 was a reserve squadron at Whidbey Island that moved to Cherry Point around the same time that Big Q-2 was split. That's why you don't see any Q-4 bunny stuff..

VMAQ-4 was also the last operator of the EA-6A and were known as the Seahawks when at NUW. When they got activated for Desert Storm they went to Cherry Point, transitioned to Prowlers and deployed to Iwakuni. They formally became an active asset in 92.

That hangar at the east end of the ramp at NUW was shared by VMAQ-4 and VAQ-309 (the West Coast Reserve Airwing Prowler squadron). No clue what's in it now. Way too small for P-3's.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Huh what? Why are we putting new center wing boxes and new wings on so many EP3's then?

To make them last to 2019-2020 or so, then retire them. Much like they are still cranking Prowlers out of PDM in JAX, the last one that went to the Navy was earlier this year and the rest are going to the Marines who will retire them in 2019, or thereabouts.

Now back to the bunnies!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That hangar at the east end of the ramp at NUW was shared by VMAQ-4 and VAQ-309 (the West Coast Reserve Airwing Prowler squadron). No clue what's in it now. Way too small for P-3's.
More Prowlers as we play musical hangars and the transition goes on.

gotta_fly

pilot
Back in the day there were a whole lot of Prowlers that went through Tinker on the way to the east coast. They had a great turn plus Tinker-burgers as the flight kitchen but admittedly it was never the stop that Offut is. Maybe that's a factor?
Offutt? Yuck. I hope you're joking.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk