• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THIS is what I REALLY fly! (That's an E-6B, not EA-6B!)

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Very jealous jollygreen, I hope to be there in a couple of years!

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Here's one with a vertical stab

US_Navy_E-6_Mercury.jpg

And here is one without a vertical stab, well... at least it took off with one.
no tail e6.jpg

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
I don't know when that picture was taken but its pre milstar so my guess is before 2001 and yes I too would be interested in the story.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Rudder check at 400-ish+ knots as I recall...Boeing test bubbas at the controls, late-80's maybe?

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
It was actually flown by what is now VX-20, was at the time Force A/C Test, Test Pilots. The AC is still doing E-6 testing w/ us. It was over Washington State, in 1989, during A/C limitation testing. The rudder was kicked left/right/left/right and then a boom/bang was heard. From the AC, if there was not a chase plane that day, they wouldn't of known, the A/C actually flew quite nicely still.

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Nah. The E-6B has a battlestaff compartment that carries an AF crew. They control the ALCS. Each squadron sends a jet to Offut AFB for a week or so for that mission.

Hey LT, not to be a douche, but watch what you say on here in regards to our deployments...

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Really?! i would hate to point out the obvious but what you all do ain't that secret, especially when Wikipedia, Globalsecurity.org and Navy.mil all have something to say about it. It's not like the plain white paint job makes it anonymous either ;).

Flash I was hitting more on deployment cycles, not the inner workings of "How to launch a Nuke from an E-6 for Dummies" that can be bought on Amazon. I totally agree that Wiki and GlobalSec have a small too much info on the Merc, but I'm guessing a lot of that was from gathered small bits of info that were found on sites like this that got turned in to what they are today....i'm just sayin...

CP

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Flash I was hitting more on deployment cycles, not the inner workings of "How to launch a Nuke from an E-6 for Dummies" that can be bought on Amazon. I totally agree that Wiki and GlobalSec have a small too much info on the Merc, but I'm guessing a lot of that was from gathered small bits of info that were found on sites like this that got turned in to what they are today....i'm just sayin...

CP

So you revive the 3 month old thread and point out that that info might be sensative? Pointing the way to the smarter than us super-sleuths...nice SA.

You should of just typed "BEADWINDOW 3" and hung up the on the internet.

OBTW, that is on the net too...http://www.tpub.com/seabee/6-46.htm

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
So, I found this appropriate. There was a flying drumstick in our hangar today, so I decided to snap a few photos.

This is a shot of both jets in the same frame.
2011-09-14_14-58-54_176.jpg
Anyone have any time in her? Apparently she's going on a stick outside Tinker.
2011-09-14_14-59-25_137.jpg
Also, is this a 129 bird? It has Marine markings on the starboard side and Navy on the port. No squadron markings (painted over).

Soo small in the Merc's hangar.
2011-09-14_14-59-43_928.jpg

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Anyone have any time in her? Apparently she's going on a stick outside Tinker.

She was a VAQ-35 bird for a bit. According to ye olde logbooks my first flight in her was 25 Jun 92 with "Cato" from NUW to NKX FPC was 1A9 so we likely had an AST-6 on board for fleet ops in W-291.

I also see some flights to Colorado Springs and Roosey Roads. With that early a buno it is likely we flew it to St Augustine FL for rewinging before we shut the squadron down.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
From the NJ marking on the tail I'd guess it was a VAQ 129 bird. That would also explain the Marine marking on one side. I'd almost bet it has Navy on the other.