• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"THE WORD" at tbs right now about API

herbaltonic

pilot
To get this thread back on track. Current situation at the VT's at Whiting...word from API/mainside is hazy and unreliable, worse from TBS. We've heard lots of rumors about TAD orders all over CONUS and overseas, IOC stuff, and IA stuff to eliminate the pool. What I can say is that we're getting plenty of planes, and the only thing holding people back is weather. Progress ranges in each class, but one guy in our class (12 weeks underway at this point) has a form solo, and two night contacts before RI's while most of the class is in the c42 block. Time to train is down, weekend flying is common, and days off are infrequent enough to be appreciated.

VF101GR

pilot
Secondhand information so take it for what it's worth: College roommate is currently at TBS (Fox Co.) and received an MOS brief from the Co. XO. The XO said all pilots will be given an aptitude test for foreign languages and the results will determine the next course of action for SNA's. Students who score well will proceed to language school/U of Mary Wash for follow-on language training. Those who don't will be sent TAD to wherever they can be used. He said the TAD assignments (as expected) are typically crap. No IOC for SNA's though.

SWACQ

pilot
Contributor
No IOC for SNA's though.

That's what they said when I was going through. I ended up going to IOC anyhow. Seems that since the point of IOC is platoon level ops (vice mostly squad stuff at TBS), you need a full platoon of Lts to lead, not to mention, when you do something like mortar week and the associated hump, you need a certain number of bodies to carry the equipment and ammo, ie, you can't just work undermanned and pretend you have a full staff, you physically need the bodies to make it happen. My Co had a low number of infantry slots, so to make IOC actually work as intended, they either needed to pull in extra students for the course or fill in with bodies from the enlisted instructor company. 3 of us who were flight contracts got to go to IOC to fill the dead space.

VF101GR

pilot
That makes sense. I don't think that's the case currently though (again, based of secondhand info) due to infantry-types from Alpha and before still waiting to class up for IOC. This is just the gouge I received from someone in the most junior company on deck. I'm sure with the ebb-and-flow of SNA's waiting for IFS and API it will probably revert back when the Sept. and Oct. classes form.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
I can confirm this. Im one of the Lts going through language training right now and we get weekly progress briefs via email from the CO of CAOCL. The next language class will consist of a handful of 7599s from both Echo and Fox. I havnt heard anything about it being at UMW yet since they only just extended the contract for the current class (us) to finish there. Unless we over-extend our welcome, they will more than likely have the next class there as well since its probably the only place that can accommodate all of you.

theblakeness

Charlie dont surf!
pilot
Oui. They have four language classes: Portuguese, French, Russian and Arabic. We are essentially the first test dummies for the RCLF program that is sitting on the Commandant's desk right now. Im sure there is a maradmin out somewhere that you can read and find out about all the extra PME fun the rest of you will get to do. No pre-API IA tours for us. We are all reporting down to Pensacola on Jan 3-4th.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Heard the required pass rate at API is 94% now? Is that true?!?

Any updates on the wait? Charlie Co. graduating in October - be good to know what's happening. Last we heard was Lt's are being tasked out to I,II,III MEF for whatever the wait time is (?). Any info would be appreciated.

-Cas (USMC)

I don't have my ears very close to the ground in terms of whats going on @ API, but I do know that we have a couple 2Lt stashes from there working here for my squadron and I think maybe one was farmed out to MAG-11 stuff. Sounds like folks are being sent all over....heard about an API guy who was being sent off to Okinawa for a few months until they can find room for him in an API class.

ConsiderItDone

Marine Officer
I'm sure with the ebb-and-flow of SNA's waiting for IFS and API it will probably revert back when the Sept. and Oct. classes form.

It is looking like the Oct. Class will be slammed with Air contracts just from Georgia alone, much less others from my OCS Class back in summer of 09.

VF101GR

pilot
Good news for Alpha Co. folks reporting in October--They have started to put up the Golf Co. bulletin boards in O'Bannon Hall so Alpha should be the first company into the new barracks (Haas Hall).

The barracks was dedicated to 1st Lt. Peter Haas, son of Warren "Pete" Haas. For those that don't know SgtMaj. Haas--he was Chesty Puller's SgtMaj and current president of the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation (MC-LEF). MC-LEF provides education bonds of $20K per child to families of fallen service members, a really awesome organization.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Good news for Alpha Co. folks reporting in October--They have started to put up the Golf Co. bulletin boards in O'Bannon Hall so Alpha should be the first company into the new barracks (Haas Hall).

The barracks was dedicated to 1st Lt. Peter Haas, son of Warren "Pete" Haas. For those that don't know SgtMaj. Haas--he was Chesty Puller's SgtMaj and current president of the Marine Corps Law Enforcement Foundation (MC-LEF). MC-LEF provides education bonds of $20K per child to families of fallen service members, a really awesome organization.

Good news being that you will spend 6 hours field day-ing instead of 15 mins?