• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

phantomphixer82

nor was it ok when an Air Force exchange pilot in the same squadron just before transition to the tomcat bagged his flight leader

VF-74 did not have an Air Force Exchange pilot before transitioning to the Tomcat's. We did have a German exchange pilot though

phantomphixer82

It was an Air Force exchange guy as I checked with mishap pilot
I am not sure when the Air Force exchange pilot was in VF-74, but I was in VF-74 from the end of 1981 to 1985, and transitioned to the F-14's in 1983. We lost 3 phantom's before the transition to Tomcats, 1 to a bad cat launch, and 2 to ramp strikes. He would have had to have been there before me, and I never heard about it. I am not saying it did not happen, it just did not happen when I was there. Where do you find mishap information?

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Odd, from Fence In to Fence Out, I ran around "Armstrong" in country. Something about being able to arm/fire the laser and not being retarded enough to have a weapon selected or a target contributor populated. Never was a problem and didn't hear of anyone having anything inadvertently falling off the jet.

/dropped without a cleared hot once
//flying with Harrier Dude on a SOTACC CAS frag
///paid up my keg
////those who have and those who will

Good for you. I don't touch that switch unless I'm intending for something to come off my jet. You guys have some f'd up switchology. I can do all that and never have to arm up. Laser has it's own arm switch, not slaved to the master arm. Older (Lot X and below) Hornets have to arm up to get items out, but that changed with XII and up.

Joe,
Vincennes had nothing to do with firebreaks when they bagged that Iranian airliner. They were engaged at the time, and they initially got a mode II squawk back from the contact, labeling it as an Iranian Tomcat. Turns out there was a Tomcat on the field at the time at the hold short from where the Airbus took off from, and they think that's where it originated from. Never got another Mode II return, but you know once you head down that road during the cluster, it's hard to turn the train around.

HuggyU2

None
The pilot of the RF-4 came through Randolph T-38 PIT back around '94 or '95. I was an IP there, and he gave his version of the story to us while showing us the Tomcat video. I don't remember enough details as clearly as I should, but needless to say, his version is very harsh on the Tomcat pilot (but not the RIO). He was tracked for a long time, and the pilot claims he thought it was an Iranian F-4. If I recall right, he said the Tomcat pilot's father did an air-to-air kill years prior.
Anyways, I don't know where he got the info, but since it had been 7 years since the incident, he had had time to get the scoop on what happened.
_____
IIRC, the Alaska Eagle blue-on-blue was with 2 Eagles that were on alert. I guess they get to occasionally get to launch for some flight time, and that's when the near-frat took place. The shooter was a 1Lt.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am not sure when the Air Force exchange pilot was in VF-74, but I was in VF-74 from the end of 1981 to 1985, and transitioned to the F-14's in 1983. We lost 3 phantom's before the transition to Tomcats, 1 to a bad cat launch, and 2 to ramp strikes. He would have had to have been there before me, and I never heard about it. I am not saying it did not happen, it just did not happen when I was there. Where do you find mishap information?

Never said it happened when you were there. I was flying with mishap pilot in 1981 at VF-101 and he told me the story as did his RIO on another occasion. It occured in late seventies. Air Force exchange billet later went to VF-41 and German slot went to VF-74 so it would remain a Phantom exchange tour as long as feasible. It then went to VA-42 as Germans went to Tornadoes although last pilot in 1991 complained it was too slow for his liking.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Joe,
Vincennes had nothing to do with firebreaks when they bagged that Iranian airliner. They were engaged at the time, and they initially got a mode II squawk back from the contact, labeling it as an Iranian Tomcat. Turns out there was a Tomcat on the field at the time at the hold short from where the Airbus took off from, and they think that's where it originated from. Never got another Mode II return, but you know once you head down that road during the cluster, it's hard to turn the train around.

Thanks for enlightening me on your recap. I was on the FIREBREAK study instituted by Admiral Kelso and we went through every step of what happened in all the incidents I mentioned. So I am familiar with deatils of what each player did or recounted. The Vincennes shootdown was in 1988 so of course there could have not been anything related to"firebreaks" as you started your comment directed at me. Did you get your dates backwards?*

*Note: "FIREBREAK" measures as I referenced it did not occur until 93-94 timeframe after we interacted directly with CNO on potential measures to mitigate risk and avoid such unfortunate incidents in the future.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Poor choice of words, but consider the source as others have noted

No, I actually picked those words quite intentionally. Frat is no joke, and anyone who shrugs it off thinking that it is needs to have their attitude re-caged. Especially so when someone is engaging in pompous fanboy dickswinging in support of a fighter jet on an internet forum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't keelhauling the punishment for striking an officer on a ship (at least that's what it was in "Mutiny On The Bounty"! :) )?

Note: Air Force has commited this act with literal Blue on Blue off Alaska at least once so nobody's immune.

Yep, well familiar with that one as an F-15 pilot. Happened 19 March 1990 with an AIM-9P.

foxtwoyourflightleadx.jpg

My comments were not intended to point fingers at anyone who this has happened to, nor imply that this was somehow a gold-wing problem and not a silver-wing problem. On the contrary, my comments were aimed at the numbnuts -- that apparently you guys ID'd as a non-aviator anyway -- who called the splashing of a US aircraft a "kill".

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
The pics on the right are fake I believe, done for the program. The ones on the right are definitely not.

So which pics are correct???? Just playin', it's obvious:D

I'm suprised nobody is bagging on the Army in this situation. Didn't our Army bretheren bag a Tornado during the beginning of OIF? Didn't they go blue on blue on someone else during the first Gulf War?

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
The Hornet can hold its own. These two bumped and flew back.

Attachments

• image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 79
  • image7.jpg
    image7.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 74

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The F-15 is certainly a touch bird. Took that winder above, the mid-air and was hit by an Atoll fired by a Syrian Mig-21, made it back to base as well.