• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

Pags

N/A
pilot
Try to stop the Soviets from pushing through the Fulda Gap created some rather interesting weapons, to say the least :)

"if we fill the fulda gap with big explosions just as their legions of tanks are pushing through, we might have enough time to re-enact dunkirk."

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
"if we fill the fulda gap with big explosions just as their legions of tanks are pushing through, we might have enough time to re-enact dunkirk."

Reminds me of the good Cold War joke:

Q: How far apart are the towns in Germany?
A: About 2 kilotons.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
" a very cool way to start a carrier demo as first performed by a great fighter pilot, Ed "Hunack" Andrews, who commanded VF-84 in 1980-1988."

Wow, that's a long command tour. ???

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Ed Andrews was my Dad's skipper of VF-84 around 1977-78. He was also the CAG of my Dad's airwing on the Indy during the 1983 alpha strike over Lebanon against the Syrians. He was shot down in a corsair and rescued by an Egyptian trawler I believe. Also lost an A-6... with the pilot being shot by AAA while he has in the chute. The B/N..Bobby Goodman was released after Jesse Jackson went over there. Any of you older fellers know more details of the story??

fudog50

Hey heres a cool one too!

1995, filmed from USS John Paul Jones (DDG-53)

Tomcat was from VF-213, CAG-14 embarked on USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), my current ride.

The TF-30 showing it's true colors!!!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great State of Hawaii calls for Tomcat Commemorative Stamp

Mahalo to wise and attentive Hawaiian state legislature, which is first to call for creation of a US Postage Stamp commemorating the service of the F-14 Tomcat

FM: F-14 Stamp Info Guy

Congratulations! As of 13:59 HST, 27 February 2008, SCR47 and SR22 have both passed the Intergovernmental and Military Affairs Committee and are recommended for adoption on the floor of the Senate. The vote for adoption by the entire Senate will come a few days from now, but it's relatively certain that it will pass.

Thank all of you for your gracious support and for all your hardwork. All of you are responsible for this massive success. There were oodles of testimony and the Committee members had ear to ear grins during the whole time - they felt patriotic just hearing it.

Northrop Grumman Corporation supported the measure and testified with outstanding words, and later presented Sen. Suzanne Chun Oakland with a beautifully packaged F-14 Tomcat commemorative hardcover book. Today was a total success.

Congratulations, and bravo zulu! Sleep easy tonight, we won!

Having passed the Intergovernmental and Military Affairs Committee, the Senate Chief Clerk has now uploaded all testimony received prior to Feb. 27th (Very late testimony not included; that is pending upload).

Download the IGM Committee's OFFICIAL testimony packet (the same one used by the Senators during the hearing) here:*

*Adobe Acrobat Reader required.

The Great Tomcat Postage Caper is ongoing and more info for those interested can be found here.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Battlephrog Stamp!

Does this mean it will set a precedence, and we'll see a "Mighty Battlephrog" commerative stamp in 2017?

And what the heck not? They've been stationed in Hawaii since the get go and I can hook you up with the right people to get it started. I'll send testimony as my first Battlephrog ride was out of Kaneohe in 1972 and featured a tour of all the islands (that counted). Quite a ride!

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Mahalo to wise and attentive Hawaiian state legislature, which is first to call for creation of a US Postage Stamp commemorating the service of the F-14 Tomcat ...
a picture on a roll of commemorative toilet paper maybe, but on a stamp? come on, what did the "mighty" tomcat do to rate a stamp? Now a stamp with the "legacy" Hornet ... yea, there's you a stamp, maybe even on a commemorative silver dollar ...

:D

S/F