• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

fatathaland

There's no doubt Iran is the reason the US is literally shredding F-14's into mush rather than parting them out.

I'm just thankful the Shah of Iran was overthrown just prior to the delivery date of 75 brand new F-16's to Iran.

Instead of the new islamic fundamentalist Iranian state getting the F-16's, they all went to Israel. Imagine how different history might be just because of that simple switch.

Israel now reportedly operates over 300 F-16's...

There's no doubt Iran is the reason the US is literally shredding F-14's into mush rather than parting them out.

I'm just thankful the Shah of Iran was overthrown just prior to the delivery date of 75 brand new F-16's to Iran.

Instead of the new islamic fundamentalist Iranian state getting the F-16's, they all went to Israel. Imagine how different history might be just because of that simple switch.

Israel now reportedly operates over 300 F-16's...

Plus Bagdad would still have a nuclear reactor if Isreal didn't get the F-16's.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned that Google Earth is NOT real time or even recent imagery. Some of their stuff is 4-5 years old.

Google Earth San Diego and try to find the USS Midway. It was there in 2005 when I visited. Has it sunk since then?

I just counted 18 Tomcats on the ramp at Oceana in Goggle Earth. How many of those are flyable?:icon_hamm

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned that Google Earth is NOT real time or even recent imagery. Some of their stuff is 4-5 years old.

Google Earth San Diego and try to find the USS Midway. It was there in 2005 when I visited. Has it sunk since then?

I just counted 18 Tomcats on the ramp at Oceana in Goggle Earth. How many of those are flyable?:icon_hamm

True story. They still show both T-34s and T-6s on the ramp at Sherman. I know those are at least a few years old.

mike bennett

Tomcat & A-7 (CV-64) Photos early 1980s

Dear Forum Members,
I was contacted Paul Jarvis who served aboard the USS Constellation during the 1980s.
He has sent me some photos and has given permission for me to send them for inclusion on the forum.
He also passed his camera to Dave Baranek who was a RIO in an F-14 Tomcat who took the superb air to air shots

Enjoy

Regards
Mike Bennett

Attachments

• VF-24fromLtjg.jpg
    VF-24fromLtjg.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 108
  • VF24airrefuel82BaranekRIO.jpg
    VF24airrefuel82BaranekRIO.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 95
  • VF-24refuelBaranekRIO82.jpg
    VF-24refuelBaranekRIO82.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 100
  • VF-24launch1982CV64-04.jpg
    VF-24launch1982CV64-04.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 110
  • VF24aboardCV6481.jpg
    VF24aboardCV6481.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 108

Mav0130

somebody must have forgotten to tell the Iranians about picture day. how embarassing.

Anyway, If i were Iran, I would probably try to recom. my old f-14's too. Until the 18's, they were the very best. lets not forget they were just decom-d in like 2002...

Mav0130

hm...close enough for government work. I wasnt sure about the exact date, i knew it was within the past 7 years. thats why I threw in the like...but thank you for correcting me.

Mav0130

haha i know better than that. In fact, I'm trying to get through OCS using the fewest amount of phrases possible.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor

The Midway is still down in San Diego, they made it into a floating museum. Its pretty cool. They restored a bunch of decommissioned planes and put them on the deck and in the hangar bay. When I was at NADEP North Island in 2005, our PR's helped put the flight gear together for the "dummy pilots" in those planes. Here's the link to the Midway museum website if you want to check it out.

http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=eeIGLLOrGpF&b=3038957

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Midway is still down in San Diego, they made it into a floating museum. Its pretty cool. They restored a bunch of decommissioned planes and put them on the deck and in the hangar bay. When I was at NADEP North Island in 2005, our PR's helped put the flight gear together for the "dummy pilots" in those planes. Here's the link to the Midway museum website if you want to check it out.

http://www.midway.org/site/pp.asp?c=eeIGLLOrGpF&b=3038957

:rolleyes:

That one flew right over your head and is now sailing straight out of PetCo Field.

Brett

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
:rolleyes:

That one flew right over your head and is now sailing straight out of PetCo Field.

Brett

I would like to issue a formal apology for my last post. After rereading the post, I realize that I completely missed the point of the post. However, you still may enjoy the U.S.S. Midway museum website:eek: