• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Summer Cruise 09 Thread.

sickboy

pilot
I put in for Med, conventional surface, any phase. How'd you hear already?!

LT called me and told me. I had a Med cruise last year, it kicked ass. Cyprus is pretty damn shady though. Hit me up if you have any questions about it.

navy09

None
Are you hitting any exotic WESTPAC ports on SAMPSON? I was able to get out there for the last two summers- it was great.

sickboy

pilot
Are you hitting any exotic WESTPAC ports on SAMPSON? I was able to get out there for the last two summers- it was great.

I don't know, as far as I can tell Sampson hasn't even done sea trials yet. I think I'm just sitting in San Diego for a month.

gotta_fly

pilot
I don't know, as far as I can tell Sampson hasn't even done sea trials yet. I think I'm just sitting in San Diego for a month.

I don't know anything about a surface ship's timetable but I was at the commissioning of that ship in Boston almost two years ago so I would guess they're probably done with trials by now.

Kyoowashugi

We have an ensign from our school on Gridley, which was commissioned about 6 months before Sampson, and they've already been deployed and returned - I doubt you'll be sitting in port.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I put in for Med, conventional surface, any phase. How'd you hear already?!

Yeah, I want to know how you found out as well! I put in for aviation afloat, aviation ashore, then any type of overseas surface, all first phase. Hopefully I'll pull an afloat one, I hear most people get an HSL squadron if they get ashore, and no offense to that community, but I would hate to show up to a pilot-only community with glasses and NFO dreams. :magnify_1

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I hear most people get an HSL squadron if they get ashore

Not necissarily true. I did mine w/ a Rhino squadron in Lemoore, and had friends who cruised with VAQ, VP, VAW, VRC as well as VS :)eek:) so it is really all over the board. I even heard of a middie "cruising" with VQ (E-6 type), and there was reportedly a middie in the back seat of that F-5F that went down @ Fallon last summer. As for numbers, I will say that roughly 30 mids passed through Lemoore on cruise that summer (not to mention the guys who presumably went to Oceana), so my advice to you would be to let your LT know if you really have a preference for a community with NFO's. In fact, the way I swung my Hornet cruise was because a friend of mine (who had been scheduled for HSL) worked with the LT to see if there were any other cruises open. When the Lemoore cruise opened up, he put him there, and then my friend subsequently failed to get med-up in time. So I swooped in from my VAW cruise and took it. Funny thing is that he is in helo advanced now and wants to get HSL :)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Yeah, I want to know how you found out as well! I put in for aviation afloat, aviation ashore, then any type of overseas surface, all first phase. Hopefully I'll pull an afloat one, I hear most people get an HSL squadron if they get ashore, and no offense to that community, but I would hate to show up to a pilot-only community with glasses and NFO dreams. :magnify_1

Or you could look at it this way: this would be the one and only chance you would have to fly a helicopter (or anything else for that matter). I did my cruise with an HSL squadron and had a blast. Not to take anything away from our hard working NFO brethern, but I don't think you'd get much out of it as a Mid. There's no way you'll get any kind of edge for flight school so I'd try and peg out the fun meter.

Besides, you could end up anywhere. HSL, HS, VFA, VAW, VP. If you end up in VP-land you can play Dungeons and Dragons with our NFOs...I keed, I keed....sort of...

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
There's no way you'll get any kind of edge for (insert community here) so I'd try and peg out the fun meter.

Sage advice for any mid going on a summer cruise! Have fun out there, it is an awesome time, and it is one of the few chances you will have for the next few years to have fun and observe cool $hit without anything really being expected of you. :)

TN88ND

I'm a MIDN 2/C at Vandy. I just got word today that I'll be doing an aviation criuse with HSL-45 in San Diego during third phase.

I'm really excited! San Diego is definitely not a tough city to have a good time in.