• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Summer Cruise 09 Thread.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm scheduled for VP out of Whidbey Island. P-3s might be a chill community to be in, but I don't know about it for a summer cruise. I might try for something more exotic (Japan).

Could be a good thing- we had MIDN in my squadron a while back- they were there for a few days then got thrown on an aircraft repo to Europe and then spent their time back with the squadron getting drunk. Your mileage may vary- but at least in Whidbey you can go to Vancouver during your free time.

JMF2k10

Could be a good thing- we had MIDN in my squadron a while back- they were there for a few days then got thrown on an aircraft repo to Europe and then spent their time back with the squadron getting drunk. Your mileage may vary- but at least in Whidbey you can go to Vancouver during your free time.
After getting more information, Whidbey looks and sounds pretty cool. I'm going to try to bring my hiking gear. Are you VP-46? We could preplan this Euro-trip thing :]

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
After getting more information, Whidbey looks and sounds pretty cool. I'm going to try to bring my hiking gear. Are you VP-46? We could preplan this Euro-trip thing :]

I'm not, but I have a bunch of friends who are- not sure what trips they are planning on taking this summer.

USN99

USN99
None
Phase what?

I'm with HSM-41 phase II as well. Should be a good time.
I did my NROTC cruises before they had this "phase" thing; before the Aviation Cruise was invented. All 1/C cruises were surface! (I liked mine so much, I went aviation.) :icon_smil

So I would just ask about this "phase" thing. I know the USNA Mids have their summers divided in to three phases and they have some military training - i.e., summer cruise or some USNA-based training - for two of the three phases.

Do NROTC Mids have summer cruises that encompase 2 of 3 phases? Or just 1 phase per summer? Would each phase be limited to 4 weeks?

Thanks for the update. :confused:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For NROTC you only do one phase and generally that's about 4 weeks. My 1/c cruise I was ashore with an HSL squadron so I did exactly 4 weeks, but my 2/c cruise I was underway on the Reagan which was coming back from the Gulf, so I was there over 6 weeks. I had friends with cruises that were only 2 weeks. YMMV.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I'm scheduled for VP out of Whidbey Island. P-3s might be a chill community to be in, but I don't know about it for a summer cruise. I might try for something more exotic (Japan).

That might not be a bad thing. I wouldn't count on any Europe repo flights but you never know, stranger things have happened.

The one thing I will say for VP squadrons, you will probably be able to fly as much as you could want. Your front office might not let you go on pilot training flights (maybe, maybe not) but you can probably volunteer to fly on pretty much everything else. You may not get stick time every flight, but you have to be on the airplane to fly it. Not going on everything you can only ensures you'll fly that much less.

Repo flights are where you will probably get the most stick time. Assuming there's not something unusual going down, like bad weather, most plane commanders don't mind letting the mids see if they can hold heading and alititude until they're board out of their minds.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best thing about summer crusies is it's a chance to learn something about communities you may otherwise never see, and you never know when that knowledge will be useful. Firstie cruise was on an SSN in the Med. First and only time I'll ever be u/w on a sub, but it was a blast. I did my 2/c on a DD in Pearl Harbor that wasn't going anywhere, so I wrangled some time with their HSL-37 det at K-Bay.

Really is what you make of it. You won't be given many tasks or opportunities unless you go looking for them.

JMF2k10

That might not be a bad thing. I wouldn't count on any Europe repo flights but you never know, stranger things have happened.

The one thing I will say for VP squadrons, you will probably be able to fly as much as you could want. Your front office might not let you go on pilot training flights (maybe, maybe not) but you can probably volunteer to fly on pretty much everything else. You may not get stick time every flight, but you have to be on the airplane to fly it. Not going on everything you can only ensures you'll fly that much less.

Repo flights are where you will probably get the most stick time. Assuming there's not something unusual going down, like bad weather, most plane commanders don't mind letting the mids see if they can hold heading and alititude until they're board out of their minds.
Thanks for the gouge. I'll definitely look for any flight I can get on.

USN99

USN99
None
I really need an update

For NROTC you only do one phase and generally that's about 4 weeks. My 1/c cruise I was ashore with an HSL squadron so I did exactly 4 weeks, but my 2/c cruise I was underway on the Reagan which was coming back from the Gulf, so I was there over 6 weeks. I had friends with cruises that were only 2 weeks. YMMV.

About your 2/C cruise, it sounds like the entire 6 weeks was onboard Reagan. In my day 2/C cruise was 3 weeks aviation; 3 weeks amphibious warfare/USMC. And in those halcyon days, 3/C and 1/C cruises were all surface warfare for every Mid; every cruise was 6 weeks having just then been reduced from 8 weeks! I thought 2/C cruise was now organized in to surface week, aviation week, submarine week, or whatever week. :confused:

I can see a lot has changed. How about an update on the NROTC cruise make-up. Would be grateful for any update. :D

Thanks.

Kyoowashugi

I can see a lot has changed. How about an update on the NROTC cruise make-up. Would be grateful for any update. :D

3/c cruise is CORTRAMID, which is the Surface Week, Sub Week, etc. that you mentioned.

2/c is an "enlisted" surface or sub cruise, where the mid is supposed to follow enlisted crew around to learn what they're doing. In reality, this isn't always strictly followed. These can be anywhere from two to six weeks, but usually around four.

1/c is an "officer" cruise, where you can do surface, sub, aviation ashore, aviation afloat, EOD, SEAL, and a few other cruises. Basically fun time pretending to be an officer before you get commissioned. 2-6 weeks, again.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
1/c is an "officer" cruise, where you can do surface, sub, aviation ashore, aviation afloat, EOD, SEAL, and a few other cruises. Basically fun time pretending to be an officer before you get commissioned. 2-6 weeks, again.

Out of curiosity, are they allowing mids to do special warfare cruises again? I know they canxed them while I was in NROTC.

OSUbeaver

Time to musk up
pilot
Best thing about summer crusies is it's a chance to learn something about communities you may otherwise never see, and you never know when that knowledge will be useful. Firstie cruise was on an SSN in the Med. First and only time I'll ever be u/w on a sub, but it was a blast. I did my 2/c on a DD in Pearl Harbor that wasn't going anywhere, so I wrangled some time with their HSL-37 det at K-Bay.

Really is what you make of it. You won't be given many tasks or opportunities unless you go looking for them.

-Great Gouge, I was with a HSL squadron out of NASNI this past summer for my 1/C cruise and flight time was pretty limited. We were cut loose at about 0800 everyday which resulted in most of the mids taking off and complaining about lack of flight time...we're talking 2 hours of it over 33 days there. I stayed, asked around, tried to learn some stuff, and got 12.5 hours or so. Point of my ramble is this: You will get NOTHING unless YOU go get it, no one is going to come ask you if you want to learn X, fly in X, etc, etc. Sorry if this is a bit of a threadjack.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Not a NROTC guy here but I figured I'd post anyway - I got Block I (which, I assume is your guys' phase I - it's late May through mid June) at HSL-44 out of Mayport. I'm pretty pumped.

Anyone else going to be in that squadron or in Mayport during that time?