• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The REAL Reason Cell Phones Are Not Allowed on Airliners

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
No sh!t - the people at the airlines and FAA who make this stuff up are fairly ignorant of technology and engineering.

es101js

pilot
i always thought that the general electronics ban was warranted during takeoff and landing to make sure all the passengers are alert and paying attention to the overcomm in case of an emergency, general alert, important information...etc. only my opinion but it seems like a good reason, and sitting on a bus next to a person on the phone for 10 mins is bad, listening to some business guy talk for 2 hours would be terrible. i hope they keep the ban longer.

MasterBates

You know, I have been on planes trying to get a Family emergency sorted out while I am enroute.. Land, 8 voicemails, try to put out fires while switching planes.

Would be nice to be able to call from the air, without the OUTRAGEOUS prices they charge for the airfone.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I personally know of one case in a glass cockpit RJ where all their screens kept blanking off and on during an approach. As they were executing a missed approach and declaring an emergency, they had their jumpseater leave the cockpit to brief the FA on what was going on. The jumpseater noticed a pax in one of the front rows talking on a cell phone and told him to hang it up. As the pax was saying "I have to hang up now" the jumpseater heard the pilots in the cockpit exclaim "there it goes again!". The jumpseater snagged the phone before it was hung up and figured out that every time you talked into the phone and it transmitted, it would blank out the cockpit screens. When you listened and the phone was in the receive mode, the screens would come back.

This incident was briefed to us during my initial training at Hawaiian back in 2001 by our FAA rep. It was a recent incident and the FAA was briefing all operators of glass cockpit aircraft. Until then, most of us thought cell phone interference with glass avionics was an old wives tale too. While rare, it does happen.

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
The movie "Air Force One" could have been drastically different had they been allowed to use their cell phones.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
How would Jack Bauer ever be able to save the world if his cell phone didn't work while on board every airplane, helo, submarine, etc..

Lawman

None
I personally used my cell phone to text message a friend giving him updates enroute while flying a GA aircraft. It didnt mess with any of the navigation equipment, the engine didnt suddenly run backwards, and the autopilot did not suddenly roll on its back and do a split S into the ground. What did happen? I picked up so many towers at one time that it would send a couple (3-4) of the same text messages to whomever I was transmitting to but text messages coming to me were fine.

jpm269

pilot
Depending on the altitude that you are flying at would dictate whether or not you got reception at all. There have been a few times that I have forgotten to turn off my cell phone before going up and it drained my battery due to increased power usage in the roaming mode.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I've never turned my cell phone off, I thought they had debunked this myth years ago...