• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The REAL Reason Cell Phones Are Not Allowed on Airliners

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I like this a lot! My guess is there is a lot of truth to it..

Edited due to copyright concerns

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9015839

I have dealt with the RF spectrum enough to realize that funny things can happen with devices which transmit and the frequencies they transmit on. We saw some funky things on the EP-3 that we could not figure out how or why something ended up on a particular frequency (though often it could be explianed when something would show up a frequency double or triple the original one, I forget off the top of my head what it is called?). One of the strangest signals we got we did figure out but still could not explain how it happened or why it looked just like a threat radar. One thing to remember is that we were dealing with the raw and unprocessed signals that the rest of you see with your RHAW gear, thoguh even those often pick up erroneous signals.

My point is that transmission devices do some unexpected things sometimes and I think it is better to be safe than sorry. It would take a lot of money and a lot of testing to make sure that cell phones do not interfere with all the different types of equipment from all the different manufacturers and all the different planes to figure out what would happen to all of them. Who would pay for it? You?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Harmonics. Second and Third order by what you describe.

Thanks!! It has been a few years........a few times that is all we would pick up on an emitter, our operators were usually first class and were able to pick out right away what they were though.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
When I was doing IFS, I had my phone on in my pocket and forgot to turn it off. I got a few calls while flying, noticed it b/c it was on vibrate, and each time it did the radio would pick up static and my instructor and I couldn't hear each other over the ics. We thought we had issues till I realized what it was and I turned it off, didn't happen again.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
When I was doing IFS, I had my phone on in my pocket and forgot to turn it off. I got a few calls while flying, noticed it b/c it was on vibrate, and each time it did the radio would pick up static and my instructor and I couldn't hear each other over the ics. We thought we had issues till I realized what it was and I turned it off, didn't happen again.

Yes... this is the same phenomenon you get when you leave a phone on top of a speaker and it either about to receive a call/text or simply looking for a signal. I can definitely recall missing a couple of ATC calls b/c the dude sitting in front of me left his phone on.

The interference sound is annoying, and things can get interesting when you hear "Turn left heading **static** for traffic, report on heading". And you have to call the approach controller back 2 or 3 times b/c of the static.. and that's in Class C. Now imagine that happening around NYC or DC or some other busy as hell B airspace...

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Mine has this "flight mode" on it, where it does not transmit or receive, but you can still use the other stuff on it (camera, MP3 player, and so on.) I wonder if they'd still want me to turn it off...maybe only if they see it in use?

Is the cell phone interference the same thing as that annoying hum/buzz you hear sometimes when you walk by poorly-shielded speakers with your phone?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Mine has this "flight mode" on it, where it does not transmit or receive, but you can still use the other stuff on it (camera, MP3 player, and so on.) I wonder if they'd still want me to turn it off...maybe only if they see it in use?

Is the cell phone interference the same thing as that annoying hum/buzz you hear sometimes when you walk by poorly-shielded speakers with your phone?

Mine has that too, during takeoffs and landings your cell has to be off completely, but during the majority of the flight you can have that mode on.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Out of curiousity, how many of you military types follow 3710 and the cell phone restrictions listed there to the letter? :D

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
Out of curiousity, how many of you military types follow 3710 and the cell phone restrictions listed there to the letter? :D

That's the one where you have to have it on you at all times for when you are stranded in El Paso or in case you punch out in East Jesus (EJ)? Then yep, I follow it to the T.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I personally find the average American's dependance on cell phones quite amusing.
I think the most amusing development in our dependance on cell phones are the new Blue Tooth head pieces that people wear 24/7. Not only is it creepy that a bunch of people are walking around appearing to be talking to themselves, but these people feel it is so important to have this thing in their ear at all times. Ill admit, I own one. It sits in my truck (still on its first charge of about 3 months ago...) and I use it for hands free talking while driving (so I have my hand free to drink coffee). Along with their increased use Ive seen people who care less and less about having privacy on the phone ... it seems people almost want everyone else to hear that they are yappin on the phone. Anyway, done with my sidebar.