• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The REAL Reason Cell Phones Are Not Allowed on Airliners

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How bout we do the American thing and let someone else do it for us.:D

Emirates is installing a satellite antenna on their planes to enable the service and not use terrestial cell phone towers. That would not allow people to just turn on their phones and dial away, people who want to use their cell phones will have to use the Emirates' service (and pay Emirates accordingly). It also notes that the crew will have control over the system and the level of service. The modification to the aircraft will be tested to ensure that interference will not occur on those particular aircraft in the Emirates' fleet that is modified.

The rate for use is pretty steep, two pounds a minute (almost $4), but money is no object for some idiots who are addicted to their cell phones. :(

Can you hear me know?

hands-free-cell-phone.jpg

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I have left my phone on in just about every conceivable phase of flight, from cruising in the 30's, to bombing around in the Weiner. I have found that above 10000 or so, reception is damn near impossible with the exception of a few spots. Being inside an aluminum tube does wonders for reception. Mileage varies in the T-34, but you can get a good signal for the most part. Of course, I always leave it on by accident and usually turn it off just as soon as I realize it is on. Many a flight I have been beating the plane up in the pattern at Brewton when I suddenly feel a strange vibration in my pocket.
As far as interference goes, I am quite sure that 80% of TACAMO crew members just leave their phones on during flight so that they can instantly receive calls as soon as they are able to, and I have never had any problems with interference with nav or radio equipment. I am sure it is possible, just haven't experienced it. If an aircraft is properly shielded and certified FM immune, it shouldn't be a problem.
I have flown with an IP who answered his cell phone while in the pattern in the 737. Very distracting to say the least, but he told the person on the other end that he would "holla back later", so I wasn't too put off by it.
On the whole, I think cell phones are pure evil and that our lives have only been made more difficult by them, but that hasn't stopped me from sucking on Cingular's teet.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As far as interference goes, I am quite sure that 80% of TACAMO crew members just leave their phones on during flight so that they can instantly receive calls as soon as they are able to, and I have never had any problems with interference with nav or radio equipment. I am sure it is possible, just haven't experienced it. If an aircraft is properly shielded and certified FM immune, it shouldn't be a problem.

The E-6 is arguably one of the most shielded aircraft in the entire world, I dont' think many airliners are equipped to fly after a nuclear war.......

Even if you do shield aircraft I would not be surprised if cell phones and other transmission devices will rpobably become more powerful with many more features.

For every measure there is a countermeasure, then a counter-countermeasure and so on and so on........

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The E-6 is arguably one of the most shielded aircraft in the entire world, I dont' think many airliners are equipped to fly after a nuclear war.......

Even if you do shield aircraft I would not be surprised if cell phones and other transmission devices will rpobably become more powerful with many more features.

For every measure there is a countermeasure, then a counter-countermeasure and so on and so on........

True, the entire aircraft is EMP hardened. That may have something to do with it. I found the same to be true in the 737 also, although my experience with it is fairly limited.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
bigger issues at play?

anyone have any ideas how most IEDs are being detonated in Iraq?....I'm not saying, but I'm just sayin'.....Think about it.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
follow on

do some looking around on google. you'll find another good reason why cell phones should not only be prohibited from being used, but really shouldnt even be allowed on planes in the first place. i'm not confirming/reporting/endorsing/or sanctioning any tactic, counter measure or any other sensitive issues... a quick google search yielded the following www.washingtontimes.com/national/20031117-121127-4225r.htm

Ignorance of things that can kill us doesn't make us any safer. its frustrating being smarter than the a-hole who searches me at the airport.

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
If you are basing your opinion on that show then you are grossly misinformed.

I understand that mythbusters is a TV show, but I think they deserve more credit than that. Anyone that has watched more than a handful of episodes would agree that they follow the scientific method nearly to a T. Resultantly, I believe I'd be well supported in saying that they are at minimum a fairly credible source on most subjects.

I agree in that a vast deal of research would have to be conducted to come to any absolute conclusion on the matter.

It's somewhat of an abstract idea, but I thought it would be a smart move (from a business standpoint) for a cell carrier to fund such research for their bandwidths. Lets say verizon dumps a few milion into having their bandwidth tested in an array of aircraft against different avionics packages. If successfully proven, the FAA (or whatever agency regulates cell usage in the air) could approve Verizon devices to be used while flying. This could become a major selling point for Verizon, and could prove to be a valuable marketing tool. The added bonus is that we are conserving our tax dollars for important things, such as hammers and toilet seats.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I understand that mythbusters is a TV show, but I think they deserve more credit than that.

Why would you think that? What you watch is an edited version of events which is put together in order to entertain a broad audience. While I tend to agree that the goal of the show is to be up-front and legitimate about the content, they are under no obligation to do so and have no responsibility to represent anything other than what the producers feel will maximize their ratings and advertising revenue. Mythbusters is a novelty - an entertaining one that frequently resembles a scientific approach to the issues they depict, but don't confuse it with actual science. As far as the FAA, safety of flight, or concerns for my own personal safety, Mythbusters is of absolutely no value in determining anything.

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
as far as cell phones flying goes...I think i would be more concerned with someone having an avenue to learn classified info through my phone than I would be about it interfering with the avionics
I don't particularly worry to much about it when I'm flying either but as I mentioned in my post on the first page of this thread - it has happened. And it's been documented and briefed by the FAA.