• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Neverending Callsign thread (Best/Worst/Funniest and where they came from)

A6 Mongo

Just don't pick your own callsign, your life will be hell. We had a guy that was in love with Batman and wanted to be and called himself Batman. His callsign was in reference to a bat, his name was "Guano!"
Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

How true. We had a pilot who wanted to be called Topgun or something like that. The squadron ended up calling him "Whale" as he was a rather chubby guy. I ended up with "Mongo" after the ready room watched "Burning Saddles". Something about the way "mongo" acted reminded them of some of my golf swings, and the name stuck.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
^^^

I've known a "Mongo" and a couple of "Lennys." One of the Lennys somehow convinced the wardroom to call him Mongo instead and so he became Mongo, although not before his wife heard that we were thinking of calling him Lenny (she thought Lenny was hysterical). The other one is still Lenny. (Both are great guys.)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I ended up with "Mongo" after the ready room watched "Burning Saddles".
Or...could it be, you didn't remember the previous Cubi port call...when you decked a Carabao, while on a 'Po City bar crawl (in Tropical Wbites)?:oops:
***Only "The Shadow" knows!
Carabao.jpg
BzB

A6 Mongo

Or...could it be, you didn't remember the previous Cubi port call...when you decked a Carabao, while on a 'Po City bar crawl (in Tropical Wbites)?:oops:
***Only "The Shadow" knows!
View attachment 10843
BzB

Awwhhh. . . Cubi Point! Crossing shit river to a wonder world of decadence. Great memories. Just went to NAS Pensacola where they have done a fantastic job of recreating the O Club in the museum.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
^^^

I've known a "Mongo" and a couple of "Lennys." One of the Lennys somehow convinced the wardroom to call him Mongo instead and so he became Mongo, although not before his wife heard that we were thinking of calling him Lenny (she thought Lenny was hysterical). The other one is still Lenny. (Both are great guys.)
Speaking of the wife's input on callsigns: My wife calls me "Iceman". Somehow, it just doesn't sound so impressive with that hint of sarcasm in her voice. Being a Navy brat herself, you should hear her go off on the former Apache pilots in our unit!

srqwho

pilot
How true. We had a pilot who wanted to be called Topgun or something like that. The squadron ended up calling him "Whale" as he was a rather chubby guy. I ended up with "Mongo" after the ready room watched "Burning Saddles". Something about the way "mongo" acted reminded them of some of my golf swings, and the name stuck.

My Krock boat callsign was Mongo. Still not sure how I feel about it given the clip below was the basis for it...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My Krock boat callsign was Mongo. Still not sure how I feel about it given the clip below was the basis for it...

Neat video...actually, I think "Mongo" is a COOL handle. Pretty masculine, plus I was always a fan of the ol' Motor City Lion, Alex Karras. I still get a kick out of Blazing Saddles.:D
Alex 'Mongo'.jpg
BzB

srqwho

pilot
Neat video...actually, I think "Mongo" is a COOL handle. Pretty masculine, plus I was always a fan of the ol' Motor City Lion, Alex Karras. I still get a kick out of Blazing Saddles.:D
View attachment 10846
BzB

Thanks. A much better reference to point people with questions to.

And, my wife's name is Mary... so I guess I won that fight.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Before I checked into my squadron there was a dude whose last name was Lester, so he got the call sign Mo. Apparently his wife hated it so much she called the Opso or someone and demanded that people stop calling him that, which of course everyone complied with ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Before I checked into my squadron there was a dude whose last name was Lester, so he got the call sign Mo. Apparently his wife hated it so much she called the Opso or someone and demanded that people stop calling him that, which of course everyone complied with ;)

Winning.

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
Marine H-53 driver that I went to ASO school with: GUE (prononounced Gooey) - "Go Ugly Early"

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
A Marine ground-pounder told me this story from a FOB in Iraq.
The Air Force enlistedman is writing the flights into the FOB that day with the pilot's name (when available).
The Airman looks over at my buddy and starts laughing and pointing at the board. The Airman says that in the Air Force most of the call-signs are pretty cool and gives a few exampls, but it's obviously not like that in the Marines.
The Airman asks my friend, "how do you get a call-sign like Puppy Nuts"?