• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Neverending Callsign thread (Best/Worst/Funniest and where they came from)

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Had the C/S "Bat" hung on me after me and some other folks on our det got a WestPac head shave. They claimed I looked like Grandpa Munster with my head shaved and kept asking me if I could turn into a bat.

707guy

"You can't make this shit up..."
"Cons" was mine - short for my last name - from my first OpsO I worked for. I worked with a guy name Holloway so when Ops needed something he would bellow from his office - "Cons, Hols - get in here..."

East

东部
Contributor
After a squadron visit to Amsterdam one of the guys got stuck with "Monkey boy", many moons ago there was place called the " bananabar"'....for the ones in the know it was selfexplanatory, for others not so.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
<<< BTW, I cruised with VA-95 aboard (in CAG-9) when they had Spads, and RonDebMar was a Green Lizard w/ Skyhawks in 'Nam. Did they have Intruders in '95? Was C/S still "Fortress" then? ...BzB

Here ya go, Hugh ...

1 April 1970 disestablished
1 April 1972 established as VA-95 Green Lizards
18 November 1995 disestablished

Squadron flew Intruders out of Whidbey during this time frame ...1972-95.

I'll email you a (current) VA-95 roster ...Spad & Scooter drivers ...early to mid 1960's ...maybe you sailed with some of the Spad guys.

Phantom309

Callsigns are so awesome!

Some of the callsigns in my squadron

"Holy" his last name is Chitmon thus Holy Chitmon!
"Blade" not sure, he used to be an Eagle driver, I'm sure it has something to do with that
"Curse" last name LeCourse
"Packer" last name Mudge

Those are the ones that I can't remember. Two cool stories I've heard of how pilots got their callsigns.

One come out of the Minnesota ANG when they used to man the alert site here at Tyndall. The pilot had responded to an unknown rider and it turned out to be a little Cessna. He was slowing his F-16 down to take a picture of the tail number so he was dirty and slow, and Betty was screaming in his ears and he went to turn her down, and hit the stores jettison button instead and blew off his wing tanks instead of shutting Betty up.

His new call sign when he landed was changed to "Punch"

Another Pilot I was talking to had a Skydiving accident over a weekend when his main failed to open, and his reserve didn't open fully in time and he slammed into the ground. After he recovered and got back to flying his call sign was affectionately changed to "Bounce" because his buddies said he bounced when he hit the ground.

Renegade One

None
...I cruised with VA-95 aboard (in CAG-9) when they had Spads, and RonDebMar was a Green Lizard w/ Skyhawks in 'Nam. Did they have Intruders in '95? Was C/S still "Fortress" then?BzB
Here ya go, Hugh ...

1 April 1970 disestablished
1 April 1972 established as VA-95 Green Lizards
18 November 1995 disestablished

Squadron flew Intruders out of Whidbey during this time frame ...1972-95.
Can attest to all of that. CAG-mates with VA-95 in the 73-75 timeframe (CVW-15 on CORAL SEA x 2 cruises) and then again in the 78-81 timeframe (CVW-11 on AMERICA, again, x 2 cruises). Great squadron.

BzB: Can't swear to it, but I think their C/S was "Lizard"...in my time.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
"Pom Pom" for banging a cheerleader on det. Best was the CO, at my farewell, asking how I got my callsign which I promptly answered. My farewell bbq was right before the OSC "basket auction" so the looks on the faces of the wives present with children was priceless.

Renegade One

None
"Pom Pom" for banging a cheerleader on det. Best was the CO, at my farewell, asking how I got my callsign which I promptly answered. My farewell bbq was right before the OSC "basket auction" so the looks on the faces of the wives present with children was priceless.
Did you mean OWC?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After the Romosexual debacle, are people relying on acronyms more? It seems like a lot of call signs are acronyms.

Hornet guys like acronym callsigns, I've noticed. The trend is spreading into the rest of the Air Wing. Good way to cram a good (embarrassing) but longish story into a pithy callsign.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
My farewell bbq was right before the OSC "basket auction" so the looks on the faces of the wives present with children was priceless.
Gee golly, that sounds like a real "career enhancing moment"!;)
BzB

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

I'd be hard pressed to explain the existence of male cheerleaders to a small child as well.