• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Neverending Callsign thread (Best/Worst/Funniest and where they came from)

CUBUFFS4134

Tellin’ it like it is.
pilot
Contributor
Two great ones from my fleet squadron:

Squadron mate is cleaning his GLOCK after a range shoot the night before his wedding. Shows it to his bro-in-law who is interested in buying it. Bro doesn't tell the other that he chambered a round. DASH removes magazine and needs to drop firing pin to disassemble. For some reason puts hand in front of muzzle, pulls trigger and the rest is history.
DASH- Dumb Ass Shot Himself

Crewman is comparing guns in apartment with roommate. Emptying mags, dry firing, etc. Roommate reloads without telling crewman. One thing leads to another and "other" shoots his roomate in the leg.
DASHR- Dumb Ass Shot His Roommate

Classic!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A C/S that just came to mind was laid on to a new nugget in my Squadron VA-55 on the '61 TICO cruise. He had a penchant for 'flaming hookers' in the Cubi O'Club (which was actually doubly dangerous, as the OLD club back then had a thatched palm false ceiling, probably dry as a bone)! Instead of liquore, this genious JG used a mouthful of Ronson lighter fluid, which he would ignite as he blew out a spectacular 5-6 foot stream of flame. On his final demo, he over filled his fuel supply... and ran out or breath before fuel exhaustion. Result: badly burned lips, chin/throat. Grounded for 2 weeks, an Airwing ban (beano), on 'flame-throwing', and a callsign change to "PUFF", as in the fire-spouting magic dragon of yore!:eek:
Puff....jpg
BzB

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just came back to me from my first Squadron tour: We had recently had a COC, and weren't too familiar with our new Skipper! Not too long after, a group of our JOs went up in the Sierras on a skiing weekend, and naturally one of them broke his leg. A few days later, XO called for an APM. To kick it off, the Skipper got up, took a big puff on his hand wrapped Havana, and announced "There will be no skiing by pilots in VA-94". Almost instantly he became Beano! He actually dug it when he found out, and had it added to his name panel outside the cockpit of 401. He never shed it, as it was in his CAPT retirement bio many years later.;)

I think most RR Callsigns are really cool, one of the many reasons SWOs have little use for us.:p
BzB

sundown88

Navy Connoisseur
If anybodys interested, you really don't think "Frumby" was my choice of call signs. I entered the squadron and in the ready room my name was on the grease board which said
"FNG on deck: Capt Bob Hein." Underneath my name was the beginnings of a long list of call signs. After three days at the next AOM(all Officers meeting) my name was voted on and Frumby was chosen as my Delta Tau Chi name. For those of you who don't get it:
"Frumby" Hein
Of course, I got into a alcohol related incident not to long after and almost got renamed but that's another story!!
Semper Fi!

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

LMFAO :D:D:D

You have to love the aviation community.

V/r,

Sundown88

ssnspoon

Get a brace!
pilot
The problem these days is the fear of getting fired. Mine makes sense to everybody in my squadron, but if someone yelled it across the hall and Capt so-n-so heard it, we would all get fired!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And then there was Scooter - who earned it by loosing control of a Vespa and trying to make friends with a lava rock wall in the Azores.
And thread resurrection strikes again. Great ECMO, great officer; most importantly, great dude.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PUMA - Possibly the Ugliest Man Alive.

Needless to say, a vicious lie . . . :D

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I was known as "Knucklehead".

I didn't like that call sign much...and that's why it was my (assigned) call sign.

Carry on.

Last edited:

Minnesota Tomcat

Turkeybeast
Enlisted folks get unfortunate tags too, but they don't always stick. I've had three of them during my Naval career, and the last one stuck.
During my A-6 Intruder Tour I had: Dr. Ruth--a play on my first name--Rut--which is a variant of Ruth with the 'H' dropped. Tail Hook took care of that one.
Skid Marks--shortened to Skid.
Then I transferred to P-3 Orions. They dubbed me with Elk. Not real positive how they came by that one.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And thread resurrection strikes again. Great ECMO, great officer; most importantly, great dude.

Did he get sent home early from cruise for that? It may be another guy though, the one I know of did it in Greece (Crete?) with a passenger.