• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

the more things change.......

brownshoe

Contributor
Threadjack . . . why is the enlisted dress uniform ironed this way? Or is it just tradition?

Believe it or not... for safety. The pants were easy to grab air if you went overboard. Take them off, tie the cuffs in a knot, grab some air in the legs and wrap them around your kneck:) Or at least that what I was taught in boot camp. They helped to keep you afloat.

Steve

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The uniforms - and Service Dress Khaki are great! - BUT FOR GOD SAKES PLEASE GET THE FEMALES A DECENT VERSION OF THIS UNIFORM.

A female military professional should have a uniform fit to feminine lines - fitted appropriately. The Marine Corps of all the services gets this! We don't want to see females walking around in unflattering potato sacks! I doubt they do either!

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
Threadjack . . . why is the enlisted dress uniform ironed this way? Or is it just tradition?
To continue the threadjack...it is ironed inside out so it can be folded and stored in a locker (typically under one's rack) without the outside getting dirty. Really helpful with whites.

bigstew60

I agree, although having worn that getup makes me REALLY appreciate the uniforms I am currently wearing. :)

I understand the traditional value on the e dress uniforms but its 2007 for crying out loud. We need to get rid of the bells. We should do the same thing that every other branch does and have the same dress uniforms for all ranks and enlisted just wear there rank on the shoulder as usual.

brownshoe

Contributor
To continue the threadjack...it is ironed inside out so it can be folded and stored in a locker (typically under one's rack) without the outside getting dirty. Really helpful with whites.

Very right! Sorry I had "Miller Lite" induced tunnel vision last night, I was thinking bell bottoms. The inside out sideways crease was for storage. The trousers would lay flat when folded in this manner and also would keep the outside clean. All the enlisted uniform items were folded to save space for storage. Sorry about the confusion, here's an interesting link.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/navy/l/bluniformhist.htm

Steve

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I understand the traditional value on the e dress uniforms but its 2007 for crying out loud. We need to get rid of the bells. We should do the same thing that every other branch does and have the same dress uniforms for all ranks and enlisted just wear there rank on the shoulder as usual.

The Navy already tried this once, didn't they? Late 1970's when Zumwalt was CNO...

phrogpilot73

I disagree... Those uniforms have history and tradition associated with them. Are you saying you want to look more like the Army & Air Force (yes, there are differences between the officer and enlisted uniforms in the Marine Corps)?

haubby

None
Contributor
I like the cracker jack uniform and would proudly wear it anytime, anyplace. That particular uniform is the trademark of the service and should never be replaced.

Edit: As long as it fits the person wearing it. Nothing worse than a set of cracker jacks breaking its seams.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Speaking of Enlisted uniforms, I like these....
tfuserviceuniform.jpg

tfuserviceuniform.jpg

and
350px-New_US_navy_Working_Uniform.jpg

OldNavy

If we did the same thing that every other branch does, then we wouldn't have any tradition, would we. Personally, I liked standing out from the members of other services. There is no doubt which guy or gal is the sailor in a group of service people.

The change in uniform from "cracker jacks" to khakis for CPOs is a cherished part of the transition from being a sailor to being "The Chief".

brownshoe

Contributor

First of all thank you for your service. But I don't agree with you, the old "cracker jacks" are great. I was proud to wear them, I was a "Sailor" by God! A "squid" to a Marine... and that was okay. But you'd better not call me that unless you were a "Jarhead" cause if you did you'd be in trouble... And... the "Jarhead" would help me kick ass.

But yes... ah the tradition! Again thanks young fellow, I thank you for your service. (Get one for me.)

Steve

bigstew60

First of all thank you for your service. But I don't agree with you, the old "cracker jacks" are great. I was proud to wear them, I was a "Sailor" by God! A "squid" to a Marine... and that was okay. But you'd better not call me that unless you were a "Jarhead" cause if you did you'd be in trouble... And... the "Jarhead" would help me kick ass.

But yes... ah the tradition! Again thanks young fellow, I thank you for your service. (Get one for me.)

Steve

Of course when I wear it, I Wear it with pride. I just think they could be designed a little better if they are going to keep them around. The blues actually look pretty good especially when you got a lot of chest candy. But the whites just are made of a different fabric that makes the uniform sag if you got a lot of medals. Also I dont think e-6 and below should wear khakis. I was only refering to dress whites and blues. Beide everybody know they will probably never get rid of crackerjacks. When you think of the navy uniform that is that first one that comes to mind.

Attachments

• me in blues.jpg
    me in blues.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 108

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the service dress khakis look good and would be a lot easier to keep clean than my choker whites. On what occaisions would this uniform be appropriate to wear? Pretty much all I wear now is regular khakis for SDO and a flight suit for everything else. If there's a retirement or other special event I might wear summer whites or chokers, but that's it. While I do think the new (old) dress khakis look sharp, I don't want to shell out the bucks to have another uniform that hangs in the closet 99-100% of the time.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
mccluskycw9.jpg

Wade McClusky. What a guy. Leader of SBD squadron at Midway with Max Leslie. That pic is of him on an F4F though.

Nevertheless, makes me even prouder to wear my greens.
f-ing A.

bigstew60

mccluskycw9.jpg

Wade McClusky. What a guy. Leader of SBD squadron at Midway with Max Leslie. That pic is of him on an F4F though.

Nevertheless, makes me even prouder to wear my greens.
f-ing A.

I haven't seen an officer wearing aviation greens since I was an e-1 about 11 years ago. But I think that is one of the best looking uniforms that I saw an officer wear.