• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

the more things change.......

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
As for the E-dress whites....holy shit, is the intent to deliberately embarrass these guys? That uniform looks better suited for a gay pride march. Tradition or not, I think if the Navy polled its E-6 and below, they would indicate they want something other than what is pictured as their new dress uniform.

Being an E-5 myself, I can definitely vouch for that! I took one look and was suddenly reminded of the Russian Navy (be it a United States Navy uniform from years ago). Honestly, I wish they'd drop the new Dress White jumper top and just keep the one currently issued instead.

FWIW, I am very proud to where both the Dress Blues and the Dress Whites - I feel a little prouder when I'm wearing those uniforms.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I haven't seen an officer wearing aviation greens since I was an e-1 about 11 years ago. But I think that is one of the best looking uniforms that I saw an officer wear.

This has been belabored in another thread. I wear my greens every year. I encourage every aviator to do so.
Here is the Regs link for prescribable wear, it's actually very affordable since it can be worn with the leather jacket in lieu of the green one. As long as your leather jacket looks good, I recommend the painted leather insignia.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter3/Officers/om_19_WK_Aviation.htm

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being an E-5 myself, I can definitely vouch for that! I took one look and was suddenly reminded of the Russian Navy (be it a United States Navy uniform from years ago). Honestly, I wish they'd drop the new Dress White jumper top and just keep the one currently issued instead.

FWIW, I am very proud to where both the Dress Blues and the Dress Whites - I feel a little prouder when I'm wearing those uniforms.

I have seen a few proposals in the past to drop the dress whites altogether for E's, I don't think it ever made it past the idea stage. Any thoughts on that?

vicariousrider

War Eagle!
I have seen a few proposals in the past to drop the dress whites altogether for E's, I don't think it ever made it past the idea stage. Any thoughts on that?

Well, sir, as much as I like the Whites, they get dirty QUICK. It seems like just sitting down somewhere gets them marked up or easily wrinkled. So, in all honestly, I think I'd be just fine without the Dress or Working Whites. Doing a Change of Command ceremony in some places, such as Hawaii or Guam, would definitely not be fun if we were wearing our Dress Blues.

I think discussions like these brought about the inception of one of the uniforms that had been undergoing testing - I believe it was a light gray shirt with dark gray pants. I'd be okay with the Dress whites and Working Whites going away so long as something suitable came along to replace them.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
TNGCast.jpg

I just want to be able to use a headband instead of getting PRK...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This has been belabored in another thread. I wear my greens every year. I encourage every aviator to do so.
Here is the Regs link for prescribable wear, it's actually very affordable since it can be worn with the leather jacket in lieu of the green one. As long as your leather jacket looks good, I recommend the painted leather insignia.

http://buperscd.technology.navy.mil/bup_updt/508/unireg/chapter3/Officers/om_19_WK_Aviation.htm

Where do painted leather insignia come into anything? :confused:

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I disagree... Those uniforms have history and tradition associated with them. Are you saying you want to look more like the Army & Air Force (yes, there are differences between the officer and enlisted uniforms in the Marine Corps)?

The Navy also has a number of traditions they've tried to change in recent years. Maybe the E6 and below would prefer something more along the lines of the other services. When they did away with bell bottom dungarees nobody bitched....

On a somewhat related note, last fall I saw a handful of Marine Es working out at the gym coaxing eachother on with statements like "Come on man, ten more situps, you gotta look good in your blues at the ball." I don't see that kind of pride reflected in the Sailors regarding their cracker jacks. Yes, I've worn both.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
USSJFK.jpg

Where do painted leather insignia come into anything?

I was referring to the wearing of the leather flight jacket around work spaces in lieu of the uniform green jacket.

To me, there is nothing sharper than leather flight jackets properly done.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
USSJFK.jpg

I was referring to the wearing of the leather flight jacket around work spaces in lieu of the uniform green jacket.

To me, there is nothing sharper than leather flight jackets properly done.

That's a sharp patch indeed. Was that one of the commands you were in?

LoneSailor

Many here were not in the Navy when the Enlisted Service Dress Uniforms changed to the old suit and tie "salt and pepper" uniform with combo cover. The Navy in the past decided to replce the cracker jacks with the suit and tie dress uniform, it didn't last long because many Sailors were outraged and wanted their old uniforms back.

"The more things change.." If history were to repeat itself, the outcome would be no different.

From http://www.history.navy.mil/library/online/uniform_enlisted.htm

9. The Decision to Change - 1970's

In 1973 the most sweeping change in the history of enlisted dress occurred. Based on a survey conducted in 1970 it appeared that there was some fleet desire, principally among the more senior petty officers, for a different, more distinguished garb. Based on these findings, the sailor was removed from his traditional uniform and placed in a suit and tie which corresponded to the officer/CPO style. The intention was to create a single uniformed appearance and present the enlisted male in a uniform which was thought to better reflect the increasing complexity of the modern Navy.

The action to utilize a suit style for all enlisted has been one of the most controversial changes to effect the Navy in its uniform history. From a practical standpoint, the adoption of a different uniform for dress wear was not the result of a requirement. The jumper/bell bottom style had evolved in a work environment where each piece of the garment originally satisfied a need. With the absence of fully rigged sailing ships and the advent of more comfortable work uniforms, what a sailor wears for dress occasions is now a matter of style.

The most obvious impasse to acceptance of the suit and its outfit to the enlisted and general public is that it breaks with tradition. While the components of the jumper style uniform serve no nautical purpose today and are not related to anything worn in the civilian world, it has served to identify sailors all over the globe for too long a period of time. Most navies of the world have utilized a similar outfit and most still retain it for non-rated personnel. Throughout the course of uniform history there has continued a strong resistance to changing traditional garments. Sailors prefer to be distinctively dressed. It was the same in 1830 as it is in 1977.

Yes there are Sailors out in the fleet that do not like the dress whites, but I think many are damn proud of that uniform and would not want it replaced for the sake of tradition. I know I wouldn't.

BourneID

pilot
I was going to ramble on here, but my problem is that its a wste of money and manpower to test uniforms if they don't apply to every sailor E-1 to O-10 We should all have the same stuff hanging in out closets, and the only thing different should be the rank insignia.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I was going to ramble on here, but my problem is that its a wste of money and manpower to test uniforms if they don't apply to every sailor E-1 to O-10 We should all have the same stuff hanging in out closets, and the only thing different should be the rank insignia.

It's a waste of money to have different rank insignia, we could just stencil it on our nametapes/nametags.