• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

cmhumphr

CuMhUmPeR
Just wanted to toot my own horn with regards to the C-2. My old helmet from my COD days is now on display in the VAW/VRC Museum Ready Room on the USS Midway. That's right, the Bunk will live forever.....well, until they take it down. It has VRC-30 and the DET-2 image, the det in which I was OIC for a deployment and a half. Not a great pic but that's all I've got for now.

03150909051.jpg

COD crews use oxygen masks?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
COD crews use oxygen masks?

Only in certain situations, an emergency or high altitude para drops or even when transiting at higher altitudes when the pressurization fails. So on average to almost always, we didn't use them. Problem with the VAW/VRC ready room museum is they had to borrow helmets from the ship. No actual VAW/VRC helmets. Not that they are different, just set up a little different. So for those VAW/VRC guys with logos on their old helmets, donat them!

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Only in certain situations, an emergency or high altitude para drops or even when transiting at higher altitudes when the pressurization fails. So on average to almost always, we didn't use them. Problem with the VAW/VRC ready room museum is they had to borrow helmets from the ship. No actual VAW/VRC helmets. Not that they are different, just set up a little different. So for those VAW/VRC guys with logos on their old helmets, donat them!

Or if you came into work after a big night out and needed the 100% O2, which I did on a few occasions. Does that really work, or is it all psychological.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I don't recall them talking about it in API or DJET or anything, but I was once told by a NASA physiologist/chamber instructor that it does indeed do the job in a real sense......something about alcohol robbing the brain of oxygen and the pure O2 replacing it.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or if you came into work after a big night out and needed the 100% O2, which I did on a few occasions. Does that really work, or is it all psychological.

I think it really works...

And congrats for surviving Primary. You're really on your way to those other gold wings now.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_090708-N-0780F-001.jpg

090708-N-0780F-001 SOUDA BAY, Greece (July 8, 2009) A Grumman C-2A Greyhound takes off from Greece's largest island of Crete en-route to aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69). Fleet Logistics Support Squadron FOUR ZERO (VRC-40) Rawhides are homeported at Naval Station, Norfolk, Virginia, and currently deployed to provide carrier onboard delivery (COD) support to the Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (CSG). Dwight D. Eisenhower CSG is underway on a scheduled deployment supporting the on-going rotation of forward-deployed forces to support maritime security operations and operate in international waters across the globe. (U.S. Navy photo by Paul Farley/Released)

Malo83

Keep the Faith
Wow ... I'm impressed. I didn't know there was that much to COD-World.

I just thought it was letters from home, movies, and the occasional deck launch .... :)

codlaunchhq9.jpg
Speaking of deck launch, this video really proves the spunkiness of the little hauler ;)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_050105-N-1229B-116.jpg

050105-N-1229B-116 Indian Ocean (Jan. 5, 2005) - A C-2A Greyhound, assigned to the "Providers" of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron Three Zero (VRC-30), prepares for an arrested landing on the flight deck aboard USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72). Helicopters and aircraft assigned to Carrier Air Wing Two (CVW-2) and Sailors from Abraham Lincoln are conducting humanitarian operations in the wake of the Tsunami that struck South East Asia. The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group is currently operating in the Indian Ocean off the waters of Indonesia and Thailand. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Patrick M. Bonafede (RELEASED)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
web_050105-N-1229B-181.jpg

050105-N-1229B-181 Indian Ocean (Jan. 5, 2005) - A C-2A Greyhound, assigned to the "Providers" of Fleet Logistics Support Squadron Three Zero (VRC-30), lines-up to be launched off the flight deck aboard USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72). Helicopters and aircraft assigned to Carrier Air Wing Two (CVW-2) and Sailors from Abraham Lincoln are conducting humanitarian operations in the wake of the Tsunami that struck South East Asia. The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group is currently operating in the Indian Ocean off the waters of Indonesia and Thailand. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Patrick M. Bonafede (RELEASED)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Those two pics above by Heyjoe are from my DET when I was OIC on the Lincoln, WESTPAC 04-05. Might even be me in one or both photos. Nice :eek:

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
The COD mission is my kind of thing. Nice pics. :D

IMO, the COD life is some of the most boring flying you'll ever experience with some of the most awesome beach life ever you'll experience :D For example, detting out of Singapore for 4 months while living at the 5 star Regent Hotel. It does not suck!!

Clux4

Banned
IMO, the COD life is some of the most boring flying you'll ever experience with some of the most awesome beach life ever you'll experience :D For example, detting out of Singapore for 4 months while living at the 5 star Regent Hotel. It does not suck!!

Granted you are dropping bombs or anything, I am really happy doing the necessary runs. The C-130 mission is also high on my list. This is just personality driven. I think of the community as laid back set of guys. Beach life is where it is at. :D

niktam

In other news, and I didn't see it touched on much, They are currently outfitting the C-2's with 8 blade propellers at VRC-40 slowly, and they are starting to give them the "glass" cockpits as well.

At the rag we are fighting to get the updated wiring done and get away from kapton wiring.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
In other news, and I didn't see it touched on much, They are currently outfitting the C-2's with 8 blade propellers at VRC-40 slowly, and they are starting to give them the "glass" cockpits as well.

At the rag we are fighting to get the updated wiring done and get away from kapton wiring.

Yeah, saw a VRC-40 bird with the 8 bladed props at NASNI last week. Looks awkward, even on an ugly COD. They need that extra power though with the 425's.