• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The MIF monster

Heloanjin

pilot
RetreadRand said:
Well one of the issues they had when I went through primary is that TIMS was counting people's warmup flights that caused HUGE problems
The other problem they had was instead of counting the grades from the first portion of an incomplete flight TIMS was counting the LOWEST of the grades So if you rocked T/O departure etc on the first flight and MIFFED it on your completion flight then the MIF would stand
So based on those two things your NSS could be several points lower than it should...BECAUSE of TIMS.....(or at least the adaptation of it)

Those are two problems that came up when TIMS (not TMS2, that's one of the old systems) was implemented in Corpus. Yes, those mistakes did impact a student's score. No, the impact was not HUGE.

When you look at how many total graded maneuvers you get over the course of Primary, you will see that the addition of warmup grades and using lower incomplete grades will move your final score by a very small margin. The odds that this small margin change would move your ranking in the selectors for your selection week is very small. The worst thing that could be said is it might move a student from a 50.1 NSS (eligible for jets) to a 49.9 NSS (not eligible for jets).

That doesn't make the error right, but let's keep this in perspective.

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
RetreadRand said:
Well one of the issues they had when I went through primary is that TIMS was counting people's warmup flights that caused HUGE problems
The other problem they had was instead of counting the grades from the first portion of an incomplete flight TIMS was counting the LOWEST of the grades So if you rocked T/O departure etc on the first flight and MIFFED it on your completion flight then the MIF would stand
So based on those two things your NSS could be several points lower than it should...BECAUSE of TIMS.....(or at least the adaptation of it)

Just to get this straight, how does it work for incomplete flights? I incompleted my C4390 because of ATC (couldn't get into Waldron), and the 5s that I got on the first flight were offset by lower grades from the second flight, and the second flight's 5's were offset by lower grades from the first flight. On my ATS, it showed that I got no 5's and like a 1.03 :icon_tong

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Whichever grades you got FIRST are the ones that count.

IE- go out, do a spin, get a 3, then the weather gets bad and have to return (incomplete). Go out again, do a spin, get a 5, complete the flight. The 3 counts, the 5 is on the gradesheet but not recorded for grading purposes.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
As far as MIF goes, what exactly is considered an "above" flight, 4 above MIF, 10, 20?

Heloanjin

pilot
As far as MIF goes, what exactly is considered an "above" flight, 4 above MIF, 10, 20?

As far as MIF goes, there is no such thing as an "above" flight. Your flight is what it is... SAT, Marginal, or UNSAT. MIF is the minimum grade necessary in each maneuver that must be attained by end of block. If you meet MIF, you meet the standard and you are doing what you need to do to become a Naval aviator.

That being said, MPTS expects you to exceed MIF in some areas. I like to use the PRT example to explain it. While you may meet the minimum in each part of the PRT, you won't meet the minimum to pass the entire PRT. Same goes with MPTS. If you meet MIF on everything and do not exceed MIF on anything, then you are not meeting standards. Unfortunately, MPTS doesn't define just how much you need to exceed MIF. That is up to the IPs/chain of command to determine.

But I sense the real crux of your question is how much do you need to exceed MIF to get jets. Sorry. No one has the answer for that.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
But I sense the real crux of your question is how much do you need to exceed MIF to get jets. Sorry. No one has the answer for that.

And even if they did, it would change next week. This system really isn't sinking in is it?

Malice 1

pilot

That is the biggest mystery of all.

A friend of mine got his projected last week, and it was a 38. He always tells me that he averages 6-17 above MIF on his flights. Thats about what I have, but I'm told I don't have a 38.

It's a big mystical system. One thing is for sure though: I don't want to be the NSS calculating guy when I get a B-billet.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
It's a big mystical system....
believe.jpg

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor
-VFR scan

This is easy. ALMOST hit something, but don't. And don't call out boats on the bay.

True, and if you are 1000 ft, don't call out someone at 35K. If you see a bird call it out and if you know the type then call it out also. I give bonus points for knowing the type of bird.

Malice 1

pilot
-VFR scan

This is easy. ALMOST hit something, but don't.

hehehe.

I tried that. It didn't work. I had to dive to narrowly miss a giant bird that was at 3500ft. I got a 3. I was kinda sad about that. I thought I dun good.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
That is the biggest mystery of all.

A friend of mine got his projected last week, and it was a 38. He always tells me that he averages 6-17 above MIF on his flights. Thats about what I have, but I'm told I don't have a 38.

Easy. He is lying.