• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The MIF monster

S.O.B.

pilot
The way to get more accurate grades is to have an average for each instructor, you could say for instructor X his average score is 30 for BIs and if the stud earns a 33, he would net three aboves. So essentially every instructor would have their own personally tailored handicap. Of course when you have a new IP you would just have to use the squadron average for the first few flights to give him time to build his own average.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I'll echo the above...

Look at the RI stuff, the MIF are 2's and 3's. If you can nail a solid 4 early and often THAT's where you can make the money. Now look at early fam's and form. Mif, again, in some areas is 2/3. Concentrate on that stuff and get really good at it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The way to get more accurate grades is to have an average for each instructor, you could say for instructor X his average score is 30 for BIs and if the stud earns a 33, he would net three aboves. So essentially every instructor would have their own personally tailored handicap. Of course when you have a new IP you would just have to use the squadron average for the first few flights to give him time to build his own average.

They do have an average for each IP. Only Stan knows it but you can go ask for what yours is. But in the end, it really doesn't matter. If you're grading consistently, even if it's dick-ishly, then everyone is getting equal treatment from you.

As for IP training, depending on the squadron, not everyone just gets thrown into the mix w/ hopes that they "figure it out." Some Stan-Os actually do provide training, both initial and continued.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
They do have an average for each IP. Only Stan knows it but you can go ask for what yours is. But in the end, it really doesn't matter. If you're grading consistently, even if it's dick-ishly, then everyone is getting equal treatment from you.

Just as a student perspective...it does matter though. Consider that someone who has LT. X who is a scrooge, for an onwing will have at least 7 flights during contacts and 6 or so during RI's (X-country) and it begins to matter. 14 events is better than a third of your flights...and if the person giving those grades doesn't correspond with a squadron average, then when it comes time to get an NSS, that person is getting short-changed or preferenced.

Don't get me wrong, I feel the system has treated me fine, but there are those with a legitimate argument.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Just as a student perspective...it does matter though. Consider that someone who has LT. X who is a scrooge, for an onwing will have at least 7 flights during contacts and 6 or so during RI's (X-country) and it begins to matter. 14 events is better than a third of your flights...and if the person giving those grades doesn't correspond with a squadron average, then when it comes time to get an NSS, that person is getting short-changed or preferenced.

It might matter to "you," but in the grand scheme of things, it "averages" out. I get what you mean, and it potentially can effect an individual, but the system doesn't care about "you." ;) For every scrooge, there's a Santa Claus. Also, not everyone gets to fly consistently. That's not "fair," either. Guess what, such is life. Lastly, again, a scrouge will "hinder" your grades a bit, but in the end, if you meet MIF (which, once again, is different than getting a 4) sooner than later, that's what matters. If you're not that good to begin with and only hit MIF at the end of block, then having a scrooge isn't your overall problem (which is not to say that you won't make it through the program, it will just be harder).

Scoober, I copy all, so this isn't directed at you, just putting it in perspective.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, Uncle..........what the hell is 'MIF'? And when did they do away with the AA/A/BA grading system? Is this an USAF-ism?

MasterBates

Yes, its from the USAF.

MIF - Maunuver Item File " A listing of required manuvers and associated proficiency levels for each block of training"

Block ~ Group of Flights
Fam 1-4 is now the C4000 Block
Fam 5-8 is now the C4100 Block
Fam 9-12 is now the C4200 Block

FAM-13X is now the C4390 checkride. Similar for BI, RI, Form, PAs...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Well, if you "nailed" it, that's a 4. You met CTS, beyond that, it's up to the IP gods. ...

Agree and disagree. The book clearly states that if the maneuver "Greatly exceeded CTS" then a 5 is in order. I personally try to take a step back and detatch myself from the "whole flight" and look at each maneuver, if a stud exceeds the CTS by a fair margin, then I throw him the 5, no problems. By the same token, if he jacks it up, I am not adverse to giving out the 3 or 2 if it is really jacked.

As for the CO saying "no 5's on in flight checks", I am going to throw the BS flag on that one. I don't think any CO would tell his individual IP's how to grade and that they can't give a grade that MPTS clearly states they can.

I have endured a lot of "santa claus" comments from fellow IP's after giving out a few good grades, but I have also gotten the "you dick!" comments from the same IP's when I am handing out the unsat.

Honestly, the best, most respected IP's in the squadron are not the hard asses who are the tough graders and give the hardest checkrides. They are the ones who take the time and have the patience to teach a student something and actually take an interest in instructing.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
They are the ones who take the time and have the patience to teach a student something and actually take an interest in instructing.

Couldn't agree more. The guys I'll remember are the ones who made me feel like they would be flying with me on the next rolling deck, night trap, or shooting an approach at mins after a 12 hour flight...not because they gave good or bad grades. I want to live through my career, and not screw the pooch...and that starts now....regardless of what airframe my grades put me in.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Agree and disagree. The book clearly states that if the maneuver "Greatly exceeded CTS" then a 5 is in order. I personally try to take a step back and detatch myself from the "whole flight" and look at each maneuver, if a stud exceeds the CTS by a fair margin, then I throw him the 5, no problems. By the same token, if he jacks it up, I am not adverse to giving out the 3 or 2 if it is really jacked.

I'm really surprised your the first to come back w/ an argument on my post. I actually agree w/ you, and try to do the same thing. I guess it was internet semantics. I read "nailed it" as meeting CTS, not exceeding it, and thus oversimplified my response. I'm with you on taking each part as a separate item that makes up the overall flight. I also am a proponent of the "makes deviations but corrects them on his own quickly" to get a 4. You're never perfect all the time, it's about correcting towards that perfection.

Lastly, scoober, that avatar is really FREAKIN' me out.

JackyB

CO Recommendation

A friend of mine in API asked How important is the CO's recommendation in getting jets? Does it have any impact on your grades? Told him I'd post the question.