• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The impossible to make separate thread (Ghost F-35)

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
I mean, Brett, you get upset when I get emotional around here. But. I share the emotional sentiment.
Concur. It sucks because some of the early sea stories were enjoyable, but his speculation on both of the recent F-35 Mishaps drives me up the wall. He's an old timer, he's a grown up and should damn well fucking know better and instead decides to profit off it with some clickbait-ass thumbnails.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Meanwhile, this piece of shit spent the weekend on Twitter engaging in and spreading the absolute worst kind of speculation about this mishap. Ward Carroll is not a friend of Naval Aviation. He is literally making money off the exploitation of mishaps like these. It's a disgrace.
Brett - Asking this in the most objective way possible - but how do you reconconcile your statement with his intimate access to a former CJCS Admiral Mike Mullen and Outgoing AB Vice Admiral Kenneth Whitesell - who seem to trust Ward. Again, not trying to start a flame war. But his efforts as a journalist and ambassador of Naval Aviation seem valued. What you think matters more than what I think. So I am just asking.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Brett - Asking this in the most objective way possible - but how do you reconconcile your statement with his intimate access to a former CJCS Admiral Mike Mullen and Outgoing AB Vice Admiral Kenneth Whitesell - who seem to trust Ward. Again, not trying to start a flame war. But his efforts as a journalist and ambassador of Naval Aviation seem valued. What you think matters more than what I think. So I am just asking.

I won't speak for anyone else. But from an outsider looking in, it appears that someone has found themselves a spotlight, and that person really wants relevance. Whereas there are some folks who used to have relevance (and then they retired, which means they should enjoy their twilight years in peace fishing, or skiing, or smoking brisket) who are now looking for a spotlight.

It's that perfect PFC to stripper marriage. Except now it's a FOGO to a Social Media Influencer. It's still the same fucking thing- someone who has a little money to a whore who wants to spend it.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
...intimate access to a former CJCS Admiral Mike Mullen and Outgoing AB Vice Admiral Kenneth Whitesell - who seem to trust Ward. Again, not trying to start a flame war. But his efforts as a journalist and ambassador....
Chuck,

in-the-navy-village-people (1).gifThere's nothing wrong with that, but I do question your assertion that he's a journalist.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Neither Mullen nor Whitesell have any idea what he's doing. He's not a journalist, and he's absolutely not an ambassador for our profession. That's an absurd statement, given what he has been doing by monetizing these mishaps. Snap out of it, Chuck. Ward is a clown who is only interested in himself.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Concur. It sucks because some of the early sea stories were enjoyable, but his speculation on both of the recent F-35 Mishaps drives me up the wall. He's an old timer, he's a grown up and should damn well fucking know better and instead decides to profit off it with some clickbait-ass thumbnails.

His hot take on the Sky Dong was just as wrong from the very beginning, so it goes in line with what he has been doing for at least 6 years now (yes, it's been that long).

Here is HJ's take on Ward back then, still valid and I bolded a few key parts:

I don’t do Twitter but followed link above which had a log of his tweet. I was quite surprised that he was purporting to be in the know and postulating how the “artists” created their masterpiece. Like I said, he used to know better as editor of Approach and PAO of the Safety Center. Recovering LSO is on the mark in regards to those in the know keeping silent....I fear that the Ward I knew is now amongst the Media Pundits who rush to be first and grab the public attention which equates ultimately to revenue and is oftentimes hand in hand with “fake news” or least half baked news.

I suppose there is another irony at play here. He may not have gotten positive feedback, but the more “looks” his Twitter Feed generates, the more he wins. Military.Com was built on click ad revenue and he was there generating those “looks” that translate to revenue. So the former “Angry JO” appears to have joined the ranks of those he once decried. That is ultimate irony to me.....

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
There is a storied history of SC beauty pageant contestants. For example...

That certainly was a TV moment.

A couple of other winners had some serious political consequences:

The 1980 Miss SC (not sure which pageant version) winner was Donna Rice. Her affair in 1987 with the leading Democrat Presidential contender, Senator Gary Hart, knocked him out of the primary, ultimately won by Michael Dukasis who lost to George H.W. Bush.

The 1987 Miss SC winner was Nancy Humphries. Now known by her married name of Nancy O’Dell, the audiotape of then candidate Donald Trump speaking about her almost cost him the Presidency.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A couple of other winners had some serious political consequences:

The 1980 Miss SC (not sure which pageant version) winner was Donna Rice. Her affair in 1987 with the leading Democrat Presidential contender, Senator Gary Hart, knocked him out of the primary, ultimately won by Michael Dukasis who lost to George H.W. Bush.

The 1987 Miss SC winner was Nancy Humphries. Now known by her married name of Nancy O’Dell, the audiotape of then candidate Donald Trump speaking about her almost cost him the Presidency.

The 1965 Miss SC winner was Nancy Janice Moore, who married Senator Strom Thurmond in 1968.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being born in 1902, I'm guessing that ol Strom was just a few decades her senior at the time. Gross.

He was 66 and she was 22 when they married. I ran into his youngest daughter a few times while she was a student at College of Charleston, she is the same age as me.

It gets better though, his oldest daughter was 49 years older than his youngest, born to a family maid who was 15/16 years old at the time and he was 22 or so. She was mixed race, and not publicly acknowledged until after he passed away. This from one of the most racist American politicians of the 20th century.

I actually met him once at a reception, where he also pinched the asses of a few interns.

So yeah, gotta love SC!

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
He was 66 and she was 22 when they married. I ran into his youngest daughter a few times while she was a student at College of Charleston, she is the same age as me.

It gets better though, his oldest daughter was 49 years older than his youngest, born to a family maid who was 15/16 years old at the time and he was 22 or so. She was mixed race, and not publicly acknowledged until after he passed away. This from one of the most racist American politicians of the 20th century.

I actually met him once at a reception, where he also pinched the asses of a few interns.

So yeah, gotta love SC!
SC has come a long way from Strom's prodigious and lengthy reproductive career. Now they have 2 senators unwilling/unable to produce offspring.

Apparently Tim Scott has a girlfriend who lives in ??. ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Little known “secret,” the law that authorized the creation of the National Museum of the United States Army titled it the “Strom Thurmond National Museum of the U.S. Army.” By the time it was built old Strom was 20 years in the grave (and maybe still impregnating 20 year olds) so the powers that be kind of let that title slide.