• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Pirates off the Somali Coast thread

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pirates fire upon HSL-49 helo

web_090826-N-0000F-002.jpg

web_090826-N-0000F-003.jpg

090826-N-0000F-003 U.S. 5th FLEET AOR (Aug. 26, 2009) Somali pirates aboard Motor Vessel (M/V) Win Far fire upon a U.S. Navy SH-60B Sea Hawk helicopter assigned to the Scorpions of Light Helicopter Anti-Submarine Squadron (HSL) 49. The Helicopter, embarked aboard the cruiser USS Chancellorsville (CG 62), was conducting a surveillance mission near the anchored M/V Win Far south of Garacad, Somalia. The video, from Forward Looking Infrared Radar (FLIR), shows the pirates firing a large caliber weapon at the helicopter. No rounds struck the Sea Hawk and no one was injured. (U.S. Navy Photo from Video/Released) Link to video clip on FLICKR U.S. Navy Gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/usnavynvns/3862516548/

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some motherfuckers just don't learn... Pirates attack Maersk Alabama again, and get lit up, again.

I'm curious who these guards are. I figured private security contractors, but the EU Naval spokesman described them as a "Vessel Protection Detachment" which sounds kinda official.

BigRed389

None
Some motherfuckers just don't learn... Pirates attack Maersk Alabama again, and get lit up, again.

I'm curious who these guards are. I figured private security contractors, but the EU Naval spokesman described them as a "Vessel Protection Detachment" which sounds kinda official.

From the guys I saw over there, Mobile Security Group dets.

Although now the MSC civvies are doing their own FP as well.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

HAHAHA...one of the comments:

"Yo ho ho ho, a pirates life for...hey, what's that red dot on your fore..."

Cleonard19

Contributor
I don't know about you guys, but if I saw three of my buddies get offed by three perfect rounds from pitching deck to pitching deck in swelling seas and poor visibility conditions, I would look for a new career path.

Apparently they didn't make their statement clear enough the first time around.

Shpion1

Contributor
Bootie sharing

A former Pirate doing nasty time in a jail in Puntland somewhere explained that out of the ransom, the bosses get 20%, 20% goes to necessities (food, weapons, etc), 30 for the gunmen/pirates and 30 for government dudes.

You can see where there is no incentive to stop this line of work.

take the recent ~2.3 mil ransom paid by the spaniards. 30% for the pirates, you're looking at almost 700k. Between even 10 pirates, thats a lot, I mean a lot of moolah for a Somali, where average anual earnings are around 500 bucks. So we'll have to put red dots on a whole lot of them to get them to drop the occupation.

navy09

None
I don't know about you guys, but if I saw three of my buddies get offed by three perfect rounds from pitching deck to pitching deck in swelling seas and poor visibility conditions, I would look for a new career path.

Apparently they didn't make their statement clear enough the first time around.

See shpion's post.

Bank robbers get killed every year but people continue to rob banks (even the same ones). As long as a pirate's risk outweighs his reward, he will keep at it.

navy09

None
So should we just stop shipping things by sea? This is mental jackoffery at its worst. Maersk Alabama's crew figured it out. You put hired guns on the ships, shoot to kill anyone who tries to board, and don't stop for anything till you are in safe waters.

Seriously?? You misunderstood.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
A former Pirate doing nasty time in a jail in Puntland somewhere explained that out of the ransom, the bosses get 20%, 20% goes to necessities (food, weapons, etc), 30 for the gunmen/pirates and 30 for government dudes.

You can see where there is no incentive to stop this line of work.

take the recent ~2.3 mil ransom paid by the spaniards. 30% for the pirates, you're looking at almost 700k. Between even 10 pirates, thats a lot, I mean a lot of moolah for a Somali, where average anual earnings are around 500 bucks. So we'll have to put red dots on a whole lot of them to get them to drop the occupation.

Perfect example why we can't negotiate with terrorist. (Or pirates) If they stop getting ransoms, they stop making money, they stop pirating.