• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Milestone Thread (1000 traps club + Carrier milestones)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Calling Naval Air "pussified" pretty much a zero-content comment from you MAKEVAPES.

Having been on the pointy end in OIF and OEF, Naval Aviation is in no way "pussified" IMO. We're still training to kill at home, and actually doing it down range.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Here let me clear the air with this...
trollspray.jpg

Now Vape Boy, back to your office for you...

setupfunny_1.jpg

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
... if anyone thinks traps, pilot or NFO are going to ever matter for promotion or anything else they're mistaken. Bag what you can for your own satisfaction.
but it makes for a nice blurb on fitreps, end of tour awards, etc.

it's jacked up that we get a speech that due to higher gas prices and limited funds, log legs and per diem on x-countries will be scrutinized with a fine tooth comb yet go out to any CQ event and the same speech givers are wasting fuel, maintenance on the aircraft, a national asset and it's crew just to bag a few traps because the training finished early ... and for what? a patch? or just for their "satisfaction"?

bagging traps → when does the training stop and waste begin?

SF

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
bagging traps → when does the training stop and waste begin?

I have nothing to add to this thread but the fact that this occurred on the April '05 boat (JFK), and 'no shit, there I was.' It pissed a lot of people off and the fact that a couple studs didn't qual due to lack of a couple traps only made it worse.

From a boat perspective: During that timeframe, JFK was CNATRA's dedicated deck. When I was on JFK in April '05, we appreciated the number of traps we were getting. We needed it every month because that's when Big Navy had cast us aside, and the ship was trying to remain relevant, especially in training new folks (ships company, CDC, CATCC, the Deck, etc). All those traps helped us train countless young folks who whould otherwise have been twidling their thumbs pierside.
Many of those young folks are now on other carriers, doing it everyday. No trap is ever wasted.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
once again, YGTBSMP... im back out of my cave... DUCK!

I changed it to avoid any possible frag from calling a percieved spade a spade. My distrust for the leadership is decades old, well founded and shared by a sizable community (albeit a quiet community mostly at Delta, SWA and Fedex now). Squeeze saw this sort of ass clownery in action. It will apparently continue.

Welcome to my island, and my fraternity, NUGGET! DUCK!

Lemme guess yer trudging your way through the FRS (go ahead and wear your "trips" patches the single anchor instructors will probably ask you for ball flying tips:icon_tong) followed by short turn around cycle two cruises (have fun!), quick shore tour for JPME on to your Department Head tour if you are worth a sh*t. Good luck from there. Seen it, seeing it and will see more.

disgruntled? Ive always gotten exactly what I want orders wise, no complaints. Ive kicked ass, taken names and been rewarded handsomelly earning my pay everyday... hope you follow along.

Keep following along, believing everything they tell you, it will serve you well.:D The pussification of naval aviation is sadly ongoing.

Probably need to clarify who you are referring to. As it is, I'm two years past my DH tour. I've got some experience level of my own Dorothy.

Pussification? Interesting...you'll have to explain that one.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
1000th Carrier Landings!

Shipmates, do they still have the tradition of celebrating 1000th landings (total for the "Boat" not the Pilot)? Back in my era, each 1000th trap was celebrated by a semi-formal dinner in the wardroom with a ceremonial "cake cutting" w/sword as dessert. The Pilot was honored with a small brass engraved plate W/rank, name, date & 1000th landing # (1000th, 2000, etc.) on a huge wooden placque displayed on the Quarterdeck in port. The landings are total from the very 1st trap after commissioning & does not include bolters or touch & gos. The honored Pilot also gets to select the complete menu for the ceremonial meal.
On USS CONSTELLATIONs (CVA-64) 'Round the Horn cruise (July-Sep '62) from Norfolk to new home port San Diego, we were practicing the mini-airshow off Costa Rica for our show at our 4-day stop in Acapulco. I was flying wing on CAG in a VA-55 A-4C tanker, & he was in a VF-51 F-8 as a fuel receiver in a Texaco demo.
We finished the practice and with CAG leading, hit a SH break over CONNIE. Turning final, I saw CAG bolter, then aced my normal OK3! (sorta like "Sir Launch-a-lot" A4s has done since his LANGLEY days, lol).:icon_trou
Without a clue, arrived at the ready & was informed by JOPA SDO that I had bagged CONNIEs 5000th! CAG was nowhere to be seen...
Now my favorite meal is Spaghetti/Meatballs. I was heavily lobbied by my 18 fellow A-4 drivers for Steak & Lobster for the dinner several evenings hence. I held my ground despite the whining of my guys, and the furrowed brows of CO/XO, to the delight of the blackshoe JG ship's Mess Treasurer ($$$)!
I was in the dog house for a few days but the entree, caesar salad & potato/cheese soup were delicious. Don't know to this day if I unknowingly "spoiled a set-up", but that's life, heh heh, heh.;)
The only Shipmate to buy me a toddy in Acapulco was CAG.:icon_zbee
*Photo: CAPT T. J. Walker CO Connie w/BusyBee
BzB

Attachments

• 5,000th Ldg Connie 1962.jpg
    5,000th Ldg Connie 1962.jpg
    785.2 KB · Views: 180

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Great thread, Hugh!

05/15/65...Flew a routine training mission off Saratoga in the Med...recovered (OK 3 IIRC!), taxied forward, and parked. Upon deplaning, flashbulb popped into my face...what the hell, I thought, my arrival wasn't THAT spectacular! :confused:

Ship's photographer then explains that I had just made the 10,000th landing on CVA-60 under the command of Sara's CO, Capt. (later RADM) Jack M. James...and I'm to accompany him down to the hanger deck for a brief cake cutting ceremony. By co-incidence, that was also my 250th trap on Sara...and notice the jg is flying CAG's bird!
icon10.gif

I had a long and exciting (insert big gulp here) relationship with Capt. James...LOL!! Would include one of our birds dropping 500#er's two days consecutively on his flight deck... while I'm the AO Div Officer...the "Algerian thingy", et al. (Story details in future posts.) Chatted with him and family at length when we met at the decommissioning of Sara ~30 years later at Mayport.

BTW...pilots forbidden to remove hardhats until safely in the island.

RononSpadRotated1.jpg