• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Milestone Thread (1000 traps club + Carrier milestones)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You mean CODs are not always banished to the Starboard-D with the helos?

Seemed like there was always a COD in the penalty box with us, he did the last trap, and the we came in on spot 3.5, 4 or 6 depending on where they parked him.

Maybe it's different on the east coast, but we almost always recover first, and yes we are in starboard D. And just because you're in starboard D doesn't mean you don't come in for the break. It's actually a helluva lot tougher to break the deck from stbd D though since you can't see a damn thing.

MasterBates

I can only speak to the JFK, (only cruise with a CV) but they were usually in the box with us.

COD seemed to be Last on, First Off.. But that was just what I saw as the Shotgun Cruiser HSL Det guy.

And yes, I am really bored in T-44 systems... (where I am right now)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Maybe it's different on the east coast, but we almost always recover first,...
There's a change ... our COD's -- C-1's and C-2's would always come aboard last -- deck loading and fuel more critical with the fast movers.

*edit* WESTPAC, of course ... :)

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a change ... our COD's -- C-1's and C-2's would always come aboard last -- deck loading and fuel more critical with the fast movers.

*edit* WESTPAC, of course ... :)

Only a few times have I come in last. A big reason is the fact that it takes a while to offload and load up within 1 cycle. If we come in last, then there's a good chance (depending on what we're bringing/taking) of not being ready for the launch. Also, if we ever have DVs then the ship definitely wants to take us first so as to not make the guests wait any longer in the back of the COD.

You're right about fuel... we usually get to the boat with plenty of fuel. However, once we're committed to the trap (not saying blue water) then we usually will only get 1 and at most 2 passes before reaching bingo. The reason for this is because the more cargo we bring, the less fuel we have for on the ball thanks to dumping down to max trap. I've seen a COD bingo with 20 some odd pax after getting a WOFD when boss charlied them too early. The ship couldn't understand why a COD would have to bingo after only coming from 150 miles away. Lots of explaining had to be done.... and I was lucky to be the COD representative that day.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
1000 trap club

Rumor has it that the Base CO of NMM is on his way to 1000 traps (is he still tailhook pres.?) I think he needed like 200+ or so inside a three year tour. Paddles and OIC's used to get a shit ton (for a shore tour) at 30-40 a year. B200 from (circa '03) Krock got the Fraud Waste and Abuse hotline called for cutting in front of students to the cat (and also got the Grand party and plaque last tailhook reunion), figured one O-6 pissing on an electric fence would teach them all not to.:icon_rage

Eagle/Tiger Base, picture?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know the numbers game, but I have flown with the Captain you speak of as a stud and found him a great teacher and American. He didn't strike me as a type who would resort to FWA for such a thing.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I was sharing the day case I pattern at the boat a little while ago with a T-45 that bagged his 1000th trap. He didn't start bagging until after all the TRACOM studs were gone, paddles told me it was the NMM CO.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
YGTBSMP!:eek:

Are Base CO orders DIFOPS orders? Great instructor, great american, maybe... Traps per bag-ex higher than the paddles that waved the studs for 3-4 weeks, ordering the OIC to take every weather recce and late safe so you don't have to brief? Way out of line, semi-unofficerlike, basic poor leadership by example. Don't they use qual numbers at the boat for a reason, it aint Captain B200, its B200...

Between the Double Anchor dudes claiming their 1000 and O-6's downright abusing their rank to _steal_ traps from the JO's who deserve them I won't be re-upping my tailhook membership. Stuff like this defames my fraternity.

(disclaimer: Im not a NFO hater, god lets not start this f***ing argument please, I know we couldn't do some of the missions without them, in my world they should get to count every night trap they could see out the front of the airplane, and traps above O-5 should count as a CAG only... 2cents).

Paddles, wave them off for no good reason if you have a pair.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't know the numbers game, but I have flown with the Captain you speak of as a stud and found him a great teacher and American. He didn't strike me as a type who would resort to FWA for such a thing.

He was my XO in VAQ-133 and remains one of the best "front office" types I've ever served with - amazing aviator, leader, and all around great guy to be around.

Brett

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I don't see what the big deal is... he bagged some traps bouncing with the fleet guys that showed up, after all the clown jet studs were qual'd. Am I missing something?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are we talking about the current base CO of NMM or aren't we?

Brett
OK, didn't realize NMM had a Change of Command recently. Figured they were due. Past CO was a Hornet guy who I flew with who is President of Tailhook. Current CO is a Prowler guy whom Brett apparently flew with. I can vouch for my time serving under the Hornet CO. Flew with him twice, he led a division to the boat I went to, and never heard a peep about him screwing people or production over in order to bag traps.