• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The great Helo debate

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
But no, we do not use "HK 123" or anything like that for IFR or VFR in the Army.

Until they get a call for a noise complaint at which point they have a roster of USN and USAF call-signs that they will start using!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
ah, the ole file for a sister squadron's call sign when you're going to bust the FARs trick. Classic!

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Sister squadron...why not sister service? Thus the HK or maybe HP, they are routinely over at KVQQ.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I thought that the avoid range was 20-40 and 60-75 Np/Nr . Is the 60-90 something else?
20-40% and 60-75% for Np harmonics 60-90 used to be a gouge number for the head, but I haven't seen it written down anywhere.

Also due to accel limiting and auto-start you can actually move the PCL's directly to fly during the start instead of idle, and the engine will still start up just fine and then accelerate at the proper pace to the fly setting. Of course there is no official guidance on this, and we don't do it for normal ops, but for an emergency restart, its a useful trick to have.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Both coasts, but primarily East. I couldn't remember why the Navy said that, but I thought it was related to this warning we have for the Blackhawk:

"Restrict the rate of ENG POWER CONT lever's movement, when tailwheel lockpin is not engaged. Rapid application of ENG POWER CONT levers can result in turning the helicopter, causing personnel injury or loss of life."

In training they mention this also applies to wet or icy surfaces with the tailwheel locked.

You may or may not remember, but they have that same warning for accel/decel in the FCF checklist for the Seahawk as well, although no mention of 40%.

Uuuugh! The IFR codes...we have to use a different code based on who, when and why we are flying. "Guard 123" if we are not activated. "Army 123", if we are activated title 10 but not flying in a local Army flying area, "Eat my shorts 123" for the specific base we are flying out of during AT or premobilization, and "I'm a test pilot 001" when doing test flights at Ft. Hood IF you are specifically leaving Hood Army Airfield...but be sure to close out your flight plan as both "Eat my shorts 123" and "I'm a test pilot 001" or they will call your wife at home in Florida asking where her husband's aircraft is. Oh, and "Plasma 123" when we are on deployment.

Painful. How does anyone really know if you're on IDT, AT or Mob? Does tower have your drill sheets up there? I know, I'm preaching to the choir.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The 40% limit from idle to 100% Nr is in the CH-53D NATOPS too, and the gouge reason is so it doesn't turn on deck.

Don't remember it in the E NATOPS, though.

AK60

20-40 and 60-90 Nf (Np) is the published avoid range in USAF 60s. During the winter months we use max 30% TRQ as a technique during acceleration to fly.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
During the winter months we use max 30% TRQ as a technique during acceleration to fly.

Is this a standardized & published procedure? Or is it good gouge that most people use?

-ea6bflyr ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Flip Flop!

Actually, I think you intending to type Ng would show an even greater misunderstanding of how the engine works. While it might be plausible that you got through an entire fleet tour without doing a rotor brake start (and hence knowing the normal indications), it is completely implausible that you didn't get stuck doing a few hundred waterwashes ...

Give me a fucking break. We've all done numerous waterwashes (ie: start the engines with the rotor brake engaged) and boat starts, too. It's not that g and p are close on the keyboard. It's that Ng and Np are the two things we think about in the turbine section and I was hammered and thought about the wrong one. Whatever, I don't give a fuck. THINK what you want. Sure.... Np is 100% on a rotor-brake start. My point is that fucking trees can act as a quasi-rotor-brake. If you want to tell me I'm retarded because NATOPS addresses that and I don't know the facts, I need to re-read NATOPS.

RotorHead04

Patch Mafia
pilot
Give me a fucking break. We've all done numerous waterwashes (ie: start the engines with the rotor brake engaged) and boat starts, too. It's not that g and p are close on the keyboard. It's that Ng and Np are the two things we think about in the turbine section and I was hammered and thought about the wrong one. Whatever, I don't give a fuck. THINK what you want. Sure.... Np is 100% on a rotor-brake start. My point is that fucking trees can act as a quasi-rotor-brake. If you want to tell me I'm retarded because NATOPS addresses that and I don't know the facts, I need to re-read NATOPS.

Sigh. Facepalm.