• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The great Helo debate

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
copy the tech rep. 53s rely more on in service support team in cherry point. SAC is "contracted" to provide support when asked (paid). However, we aren't in production for the legacy H-53s - only the K. It's coming along nicely.

HeloU4EA

pilot
Just joined the forum and weighing in a bit late, but on the issue of rotor blades hitting trees, it's not just the robustness of the blades, but the energy out at the tips. The H-60 has a tip speed of 725 fps. With the UH-1N blades having a tip speed of 814 fps, there is a lot more E=MV^2 for the H-1.

Renegade One

None
Just joined the forum and weighing in a bit late, but on the issue of rotor blades hitting trees, it's not just the robustness of the blades, but the energy out at the tips. The H-60 has a tip speed of 725 fps. With the UH-1N blades having a tip speed of 814 fps, there is a lot more E=MV^2 for the H-1.
Just for the nerd in me…is there an appreciable difference in the "M" factor for the various blade tips? Only because it could affect the whole "E=" thingie...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Just for the nerd in me…is there an appreciable difference in the "M" factor for the various blade tips? Only because it could affect the whole "E=" thingie...
Actually there is a significant different in blade masses. Especially between the UH-1 and an H-60. The UH-1 having more rotational mass.

Renegade One

None
Actually there is a significant different in blade masses. Especially between the UH-1 and an H-60. The UH-1 having more rotational mass.
I knew I loved the Huey…now I know another reason why…aside from the iconic sound, which is just like no other.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
As much as I love the -60, Igor's design has been shoehorned into a lot of places it might not actually fit.