• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Fuck yeah I wore it in primary. The Ghosts of Aviators Past were Aviators at one point. Which probably means that a lot of them were common sense kind of guys. When it was cold, they wore a jacket. They'd probably want me to do the same.

I can't imagine why anyone would consider it bad luck. If anything, it's a connection to the past generations of aviators. How could that be bad luck? If anything, it'd be bad luck to wear black shoes and a swo-ter. Better be careful, if you dress like a SWO, you might end up one.

Oh, and if someone with wings if pussy-footing around about wearing it? That's pretty disgraceful.

I've seen multiple syllabus-completers waiting to wing wearing black shoes. I gave one shit the other day. Unbelievable.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in the '80's, I had the dis-pleasure of attending Legal School at Newport, RI for five weeks in October and November. The base CO at the time prohibited the wearing of piss-cutters and leather flight jackets. I managed to make it through the full five weeks wearing both items without getting caught by the black shoe gestapo. My flight jacket had no patches at all. I received many disapproving looks from the black shoes on base and was mentioned in class one day as being in direct violation of the prescribed uniform of the day, but I was willing to take the chance, and ended up getting away with it. Maybe that was part of the reason I retired as an O-4.

I had a similar experience going through Legal School in San Dog. We aviators wore our Leather Flight Jackets on 32nd street dry side with honor and distinction. We were anxiously waiting for anyone to say something. No one did. :D

-ea6bflyr ;)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This brings up one thing I've been curious about: exactly how much leeway do CO's actually have to dictate uniform regs within their command?

Obviously, the Skipper is the boss, but still. Can Base CO's really dictate what can and can't be worn on his base, within uniform regs? Were I the base skipper, nobody would put up with me ordering everyone to get a high & tight or only wear SDBs. Where's the limit, or is there one?

gotta_fly

pilot
I wore the leather today (it's around 40 degrees) and took a lot of heat from other students. While they were making fun of me I laughed at them because they were shivering from the cold.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Agreed w/ the observation above: While there are plenty of students wearing and arguing for the shoes of brown, there aren't many proponents of student leather jacket-wear. Since it's only a seasonal thing, it just doesn't get as much time on it. Although I have to repeat, the only person I saw taking issue w/ it was another student. This was a student who also didn't think he rated brown shoes until he winged... but he did think he rated a very sketchy mustache.

I'm thinking of just asking fellow studs this question: "do you rate brown shoes/leather jacket?" And whether they answer yes or no, I'll say, "I guess you're right."

Pags

N/A
pilot
I wore the leather today (it's around 40 degrees) and took a lot of heat from other students. While they were making fun of me I laughed at them because they were shivering from the cold.

People who won't wear it and then are cold are idiots. Plain and simple. It's a coat folks. It's original intent was to keep aviators warm in open cockpits. Now it keeps them warm on cold flightlines. Unless you're too stupid to wear it.

Plus, sometimes, you gotta stop caring what other people think (especially when those other people are flight studs). If you like it, and it keeps you warm, then fuck the huddled masses. Apparently their flock mentality will suffice to keep them warm.

Wearing it when it's not cold outside just to wear it is kind of silly. As is wearing it to Seville's or on a ComAir flight home (paired with shorts and flip flops....good look...). But if it's cold, then wear it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I wish I had known this was even an issue when I was there. I would have thoroughly debriefed my onwings on FAM 0 about this stuff and how the only people that care are other studs. Then again, 50% of my studs were Marines, so I guess it would have been for not (or naught...I can never remember which).

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot

I'm amazed at how strong the anti-leather crew is among studs at whiting. The other day I heard a story relayed of the new Commodore correcting a student for wearing his leather jacket. I find that highly suspect. People get genuinely upset when I ask for the reg that says only winged aviators rate wearing leather jackets.

The point of friction is the studs themselves.

Nafod

Change I can belive in
when i was in API one of the instructors was the one to tell us that even though it was *authorized* for wear for students, it was kind of a faux pas.

so you get a few random instructors saying that coupled with a boat load of "motivated" students and this is what you get....

in any case, it has never really gotten so cold in P-cola or K-rock that ive felt the need to break it out.

Flying Low

Yea sure or Yes Sir?
pilot
Contributor

So True. I wore mine as a student. The other day I was on duty and the SDO had on the sweater. I was like WTF are you doing in the sweater. She said she knew she could wear the jacket but thought it was bad luck and that other studs would give her a bunch of shit. If I saw a stud in a leather jacket I wouldn't even think about it. I really don't even think I would notice it since for the past 7 years I have worked everyday around guys in flight suits and leather jackets (during the winter).

Just freaking wear it.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It was chilly here today. I wore my nomex.

It'll do till I get the wings, I'm superstitious and I'm afraid I might jinx myself.

Not wearing the leather jacket, combined with wearing lucky underoos for all checkrides have combined to get me this far...why mess with what's working, right?

magnetfreezer

I'm amazed at how strong the anti-leather crew is among studs at whiting. The other day I heard a story relayed of the new Commodore correcting a student for wearing his leather jacket. I find that highly suspect. People get genuinely upset when I ask for the reg that says only winged aviators rate wearing leather jackets.

At VT-10 there was a reg that students could only wear the leather jacket with khakis. Haven't seen any non softwinged SNFOs wearing them around here with any uniform combo.

Old NFO

None
Here are my flight jackets- The green one I wore from 1970-1985 when an asshole Academy Grad CO outlawed it, then my Leather one which I wore throughout my career... We didn't worry bout no stinkin rules :)

Attachments

• PB200002.jpg
    PB200002.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 350
  • PB200003.jpg
    PB200003.jpg
    960.4 KB · Views: 344
  • PB200001.jpg
    PB200001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 392

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I say this as an instructor:

STUDENTS: WEAR YOUR GODDAMNED LEATHER JACKETS AND BROWN SHOES.

You're in Naval Aviation. Everyone rates brown shoes, and you were issued the fucking jacket. Anyone who says you don't rate it is just being a tool, and I include your fellow idiot students in that statement. And explain to me how dressing like a SWO isn't "jinxing" yourself.

Out.