• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

S.O.B.

pilot
It is nice... I was lucky enough to be one of the dudes that got to test it... Works much better in the rotary wing world than the old stuff.

I haven't seen anyone bold enough to wear it with khakis yet.

Someone was telling me that you can't even wear your regular green flight jacket with a flight suit outside of the squadron in Norfolk.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is also a legal cap on how many flag officers there can be in all services at one time, correct?

Congress sets limits on end strength for the services and how many officers can be in each rank* and how long they can serve (unlike Civil War era when admirals would never retire and nobody could be promoted until they gave it up or died). They also approve the perks for Flags officers (cars, staff, etc.) and how many DCNO and ACNO (or DC/AC for HQMC) billets are authorized.

*Senate also must approve all promotion lists (usually approved as submitted except for dark days after Tailhook scandal)

bb1125

None
It is nice... Works much better in the rotary wing world than the old stuff.

Just curious...why is that? In my last squadron (HSL), it seemed like all of the pilots and crewman gave up their nomex for the Gore-Tex, but I didn't see anyone else throughout the air wing wearing it.

phrogpilot73

Just curious...why is that? In my last squadron (HSL), it seemed like all of the pilots and crewman gave up their nomex for the Gore-Tex, but I didn't see anyone else throughout the air wing wearing it.
For us in Phrog land, it gets VERY cold in the winter time. Even if we button up everything, the AO window is still not installed. Not to mention that I haven't seen but 1 or 2 working heaters in my career. Most of us started to get ahold of the new fleece/gortex combo and never looked back. It's MUCH warmer than the nylon/nomex stuff of yesteryear. They even have a nomex fleece mask with a hole for the boom mic for the guys in back.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saw a couple of dudes on the Boat wearing the GoreTex, mostly guys who were at Pax and were issued them for wear-testing. They certainly looked warmer and more comfy than Nomex. Like Phrog said, sure seemed like a good deal for the open-air phlyers. Downside: they can't be "patched up," unless you heat-seal the seams on the inside. I'd love to have one in addition to the Nomex, maybe as a liner for the lightweight instead of issuing the winterweight. But instead of the Nomex...not so much.

Incidentally, for those really cold flying days, two words: heated socks. Gerbings and some other companies make socks that have heating elements (like an electric blanket) and are battery-powered. It's amazing how much better you feel overall just with warm toes.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone have a picture of the jacket???

Also, if you don't want to wear the outer gore-tex layer the polartec fleece jacket and/or vest looks warm. I tried and tried to get the PRs to order me a set. When they finally came in I was told, "Oh, the wing ordered those and you can't have any." If only I had a key to that connex box...

Attachments

• Polartec3.pdf
    244.7 KB · Views: 161

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Multi-Climate Protection System (MCPS)"... I guess "fuzzy jacket" wouldn't be very military.