• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This time around, the blackshoe Master Chief on the ship is making it his personal vendetta to get the word out that "it's NOT (redfaced, spitting, cussing) authorized off the ship".

So maybe someone should "issue" him one with ship's patches and a nametag on it (maybe he's just jealous).

Too bad this wasn't a few years ago because Admiral Natter was a big fan when he was CFFC and showed up in public wearing it all the time. He addressed a USNI forum at Pavilion wearing one. Too bad the Master Chief didn't make that one so he could advise his Fleet Commander he was out of uniform.

adm.natter.gif

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Isn't the Nomex jacket technically a "working" uniform and thus restricted same as the bag?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Yes, that is the point of the OP's question.

Well in the case of working uniforms off-base and the typical restrictions, I've seen a lot of O-4/O-5/O-6's do it, but I guess when you're the XO/CO, no one is going to give you sh!t. I don't see why we can't wear working uniforms out in town within the context of a workday (out for a beer/food after work, errands on the way to/from work such as grocery shopping), but I don't make the rules. Anyone know why the Navy/Corps is restricted whilst the AF is not? (besides the usual ridicule)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Anyone know why the Navy/Corps is restricted whilst the AF is not? (besides the usual ridicule)
The AF, obviously, is far more aviation focused than the Navy. They can even wear flights suits in DC. The warrior culture of the AF is centered on the pilot. In the Navy and Marine Corps, it's not.

Cavt

Living the dream
pilot
Saw a kid wearing one in the Cordova mall today, was an AF version, he had taken all the patches off except for the flag.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The only "green" flight jacket that's worth a damn is in reality a "liner" for a winter flying suit --- it was referred to as "green nylon" but I don't think it was REALLY nylon but rather some other fire resistant material. It's not in the system any more as far as I know ... it had a knit collar, knit sleeve cuffs, knit waistband, and was the usual resting place for most fellows' patch collection. It was worn with khaki's, working blues, and flight suits and was a constant companion in the aircraft on cold days or on X-country's to cold climes ... it could even be worn while you were strapped into an ejection seat. If you wanted to get really fancy, you would couple it with a wolverine fur-rimmed hood to make an outfit that would stand up to the coldest WX we'd encounter on the platform in the Sea of Japan ... it was also what we wore to Cold WX survival in the middle of winter on Mt. Baker.

The later "nomex" kinda gray-green jacket was reserved for pussies and O-4's and above. It was NOT something that was lusted after ...

The good "green nylon" jacket material is represented in the background under this patch ... it's similar to helmet bag material.

centurian2sw0.jpg

HuggyU2

None
I'm not bashing here guys, but I've always been interested in the fact the Navy has never backed off on their policies with repect to wearing flight suits off base. I've twice had a Chief try to jack me up (both times were in the Corpus area) for being "somewhere I shouldn't have been" in my flightsuit.

The only "green" flight jacket that's worth a damn is in reality a "liner" for a winter flying suit --- The later "nomex" kinda gray-green jacket was reserved for pussies and O-4's and above. It was NOT something that was lusted after ...
A4's, the Green Nomex jacket is all that there's been for over 20 years. I've seen the type you got to wear, but only in military surplus stores and museums. We simply can't get them anymore, even if they were the best. They just don't make 'em like they used to, eh?
Call me a pussy, but I love the green nomex jacket (both weights), and have the one I originally got issued. It's pretty beat up, but it's the shit.

Tactical387

The AF, obviously, is far more aviation focused than the Navy. They can even wear flights suits in DC. The warrior culture of the AF is centered on the pilot. In the Navy and Marine Corps, it's not.

I see that all the time. If I were you guys I feel like I would get a little more upset about it.

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
The T-6, racquet ball and wearing my flight suit off base: my list of things I liked about Vance.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never understood why the Navy still gets so damn wrapped around the axle about "working" uniforms. Those who are on blackshoe/brownshoe bases like Norfolk have witnessed the "flight suits are like coveralls, therefore they shouldn't be allowed off-base" debacles. Likewise with Nomex jackets. We'd avoid a lot of this Talmudic debate about what does or doesn't constitute a working uniform if we would just enforce uniform standards instead of trying to hide behind regulations. i.e., if a uniform (or Nomex jacket) is in clean, presentable condition, it can be worn off-base. If not, it can't.

Anyway, the only thing I've ever heard about Nomex jackets is back in the late '90's when they started trying to Air Force-ize the jackets. Certain number of patches, squadron and nametag only, etc. This was at the tail end of the Tailhook crackdowns, and Naval Aviation seemed to put its collective foot down when it came to jackets and patches and ignored the new rules.