• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Who's the company making the embossed-leather patches these days? Tipsy Gypsy finally got some competition...and they could deliver an order in under six months. My squadron picked up a bulk order, and nice quality work. Can't recall the company name, though.

Shaul at www.flightjacket.com made ours in 2 weeks. $35 each.

USSJFK.jpg

Ace_Austin

pilot
The jackets we're getting issued now don't seem nearly the quality of either the privately purchased ones or even that above pictured issue. The collars look more like faux fur then mutton. The manufacturer and tags look exactly the same, but the quality seems to be going downhill.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The jackets we're getting issued now don't seem nearly the quality of either the privately purchased ones or even that above pictured issue. The collars look more like faux fur then mutton. The manufacturer and tags look exactly the same, but the quality seems to be going downhill.

Welcome to 10 years ago. Seriously, that's why all these jacket threads pop up. The issue jackets have been sub-par (compared to ye olden days) for some time. That said, I was comfy and warm in my issue jacket today, so it's all relative.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The collars look more like faux fur then mutton..
There needs to be a joke about wearing G-1 jackets and eating sheep meat here . . . but for the life of me I can't come up with one . . . :icon_tong

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The collars look more like faux fur then mutton.

To keep costs down, the spec was relaxed awhile back so jacket only has to look like goatskin and collar like mouton. W&G stopped bidding because the cost of raw materials was higher than what Navy wanted to pay and they refused to compromise quality.

phrogpilot73

Anyone bought one of the jackets on flightjacket.com? I'm thinking about getting a replacement to the issue one several years down the road and like the price, just wondering if the quality is better than issue.

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Anyone bought one of the jackets on flightjacket.com? I'm thinking about getting a replacement to the issue one several years down the road and like the price, just wondering if the quality is better than issue.

Pops leather. Great quality for a decent price. Lots of mods and upgrades available also. I don't have one, but I know lots of guys who do, and they are all stoked about them.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Shaul at www.flightjacket.com made ours in 2 weeks. $35 each.

Bingo. That's the one. Man, those guys have been busy...when we ordered our patches, there were like five designs available on that site.

I actually like my issued leather - plus, it's all broken in now - but if you can afford buying a nicer one, I'd say do it. Since it's not really "flight gear" but more of a uniform item, then I'd agree with the position that it's not any different than getting an Abbot's or Brooks Brothers uniform.

badger16

None
So once you put a nametag and patch on it, it's a no go for use with civillian clothes unless you want MB to hit on you?:D

Tipsy Gypsy

Who's the company making the embossed-leather patches these days? Tipsy Gypsy finally got some competition...and they could deliver an order in under six months. My squadron picked up a bulk order, and nice quality work. Can't recall the company name, though.

Truman1.JPG

Theres enough work to keep us all busy -
Good Holidays !,
T.G.

East

东部
Contributor
Happy Holidays TG!

Thanx Ed for the nametags you got me last year (the guy from the Netherlands, remember?).
Absolutely top notch!

Tipsy Gypsy

East,
I was a bit worried about customs but glad you got em' on the Jacket.
Appreciate the kind words,
Merry Christmas !
T.G.