• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

East

东部
Contributor
G-1

Neill Cooper G-1 Leather + Tipsy Gypsy nametag for me.
Just my $0.02

Attachments

• G-1.jpg
    G-1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 328

KSUFLY

pilot
It's really hard to tell the quality of a leather jacket on a website so it's really helpful when people like Skeeter, e6b, nkawtg and Brett give their experienced input...thanks guys.

Skeeterman

Banned
Here is a M-422a (1940-1950 issue) U.S. Navy flight jacket.

100_0299_1.jpg

I was one of the last pilots at Pensacola in 1950 to get one of these.
The G-1 came a few weeks later.

This photo is a Gibson & Barnes (aka Flight Suits, Inc) M-422a my repro make of very good goatskin with the real mouton fur collar. Just like the 1940s originals.

East

东部
Contributor
Patched-up

Hya Skeeter,

Any possabilities to display some patched-up versions of your G-1s?
Would appreciate it (also if anyone else can do this...)

Pags

N/A
pilot
I agree...the issued flight jackets look cheap and essentially they are. Think about it; they're made by the lowest bidder. I am really thinking about ordering one from here. They seem to have the best jackets I've seen plus they're goat skin and real mouton.

Got a jacket from them. It's above and beyond what I was issued at Pcola. The leather is so much nicer and more supple, and the color feels nice and soft. No buyer's remorse there. My squadron is getting leather patches from them, but I won't see them for a few months.

BlkPny

pilot
Back in the early 70's I really don't remember any regs concerning patches on flight jackets. If there were, in fact, any regs, I guess we just ignored them. Most of us were very creative about putting patches on our jackets. In fact, one of the most important roles for jg's in our squadron was the important responsibility for designing and procuring original patches.

Following my tour in VN, I flew with the AF in Europe, who decided that my jacket was not appropriate for VIP flights, so I called the closest Navy air field, Naples, and told them I was ordered to get a new jacket. The told me it was no problem, but it would have to be entered into my log book.:confused: I flew down, and managed to get a new "slick", and my logbook properly updated, all in a three day trip. To this day, this for me defines a "win-win" transaction.

KSUFLY

pilot
It looks like the pencil pocket is different...but what else differs between the M-422a and the G-1? By the way Skeeterman...nice looking jacket.

Hey Pags, how about a photo of your jacket you got from flightjackets.com.

East

东部
Contributor
Pictures

Yeah guys, show some of the real stuff....wanna see some real winnebago's! :icon_wink

Attachments

• usn1.jpg
    usn1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 311
  • usn3.jpg
    usn3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 347
  • usn2.jpg
    usn2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 333

Pags

N/A
pilot
It looks like the pencil pocket is different...but what else differs between the M-422a and the G-1? By the way Skeeterman...nice looking jacket.

my jacket is currently a few thousand miles away from me, so you might have to wait a few months on that. plus, it's still a virgin jacket, so there's not much to see.

Skeeterman

Banned
KSUFLY, The Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics widened the M-422's left pocket pocket 1/2" in 1941, added a pencil slot, and designated the jacket M-422A. More noticeable with the sewn seam down the right side of the left pocket. Also, the M-422A has the letters.. USN stenciled under the collar, and the lining was a rose/burgundy Bemberg rayon/twill type.

The difference between the M-422A and the G-1. The G-1 still has the pencil slot, but no sewn seam, just a sewn hole under the pocket flap, and the punched letters USN in the so-called wind flap, which the M-422A didn't have. BTW. we (new) pilots and the other older Officers called it the "tie protector" (wind flap) as it keep the black Dacron tie from being riddled by the zipper.
Has anyone here, ever asked why the "wind flap" only came up to 3/4 to the top of the zipper? The length of the wind flap was a stopping point for the zipper, and if zipped any farther, it would allow the leather jacket to cover the rank insignias on the collar. The CO and Air Boss was very strict on proper uniform dress code.. To combat the zipper from being any father up, we inserted a paper clip into the zipper band, so the zipper wouldn't go any farther..

Now you can go back to your squadrons and tell them all about those old Navy reg's..

East

东部
Contributor
Thanx

Thanx Sir for disclosing these secrecy's of the G-1 Flight Jacket.

Question to all about the nametags; Are only leather nametags approved on these leather jackets or cloth/squadron nametags as well... ??

Attachments

• web_061113-N-8825R-007.jpg
    web_061113-N-8825R-007.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 293

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have seen both, but who in their right mind would put an embroidered patch which wears out in 4 years on a leather jacket still going after 40?

Pags

N/A
pilot
Thanx Sir for disclosing these secrecy's of the G-1 Flight Jacket.

Question to all about the nametags; Are only leather nametags approved on these leather jackets or cloth/squadron nametags as well... ??

I think either are allowed...and you can velcro em on too if you want to go that route.

Skeeter...love the stories...keep em coming.