• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The DEBATE: Round 2

WHO "WON"???

• John Sidney McCain III

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Barack Hussein Obama

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • There is no DRAW ... make a choice for God's sake!!

Votes: 5 8.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
The difference between the English and several other Romance languages is that in American English we tend to use hard a's whereas most other dialects of English and Romance languages tend to default towards soft a's, i.e. Paukistan as opposed to Packistan. I say it the same way, because that's how it's supposed to be said.

It's "E-rawn" and "Pauckistan."

Ok, then, why don't you go to france and educate them that Etas-Unis or Amerique is really America?

Go to France, speak their language. Go to pakistan, prounounce it their way.

In the US, pronounce it our way.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Ok, then, why don't you go to france and educate them that Etas-Unis or Amerique is really America?

FOR FUCK SAKE GUYS, GET BACK TO THE DEBATE TOPICS!!! :icon_rage

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
One man's opinion: a REALLY fucking boring "town hall meeting" that didn't contribute much to my overall view of the two candidates ... Tom Brokaw supposedly chose the questions ... and gave a pathetic performance as moderator -- I figured Brokaw would handle the two candidates better, but no ...

Overall .... it made me want to give into my baser tourette syndrome inclinations. :)

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
One man's opinion: a REALLY fucking boring "town hall meeting" that didn't contribute much to my overall view of the two candidates ... Tom Brokaw supposedly chose the questions ... and gave a pathetic performance as moderator -- I figured Brokaw would handle the two candidates better, but no ...

Overall .... it made me want to give into my baser tourette syndrome inclinations. :)

I agree. It was a cookie-cutter debate that took place in a town hall.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Well, what's the alternative, the same old stump speech to a friendly audience? I enjoyed seeing them play off each other. Which reminds me, the two were at a 9/11 panel on civic service at Columbia which I have to dig up the video from.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO

I had this conversation with someone the other day. I grew up in Turkey and speak fluent Turkish.

When people ask me stuff about Turkey, I tend to say "Istanbul" or "Ankara" or "Izmir" (cities) "correctly", the way you'd say it in Turkish. I'm not going to Americanize it just to pander to a bunch of people who want to say Ayyraaannn instead of "E-ran".

Out of respect, I tend to try and pronounce proper nouns as closely to the way a native speaker might (assuming it isn't a situation like Finland where their word for 'Finland' is entirely different than it is in English).

Why Obama does it, I don't know. But as someone who is trilingual, I do it because it's more comfortable and I'm not going to Americanize a word for because it rubs someone the wrong way that I say it slightly differently. They'll just have to deal.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Agree with A4s and LGPP that it was a very very standard debate and I was pleasantly surprised to see both candidates stick to the questions vice just saying whatever they wanted to say.

That said, the McCain campaign needed a no-sh!t game-changer after the large swings of this past week and this... wasn't really it.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
God..listening to Chris Matthews suck Sen. Obama's nuts on MSNBCrap..."He wins because he's debonair" no shit, he just said that...

Oh, and here goes K. Olberman...ohhh I've gotta stop watching this channel before bed, I get all worked up...

FOX is so fucking in the bag for Sen. McCain...MSNBCrap is taking their playcalling from the NY Times...at least ABC/CNN/CBS TRY to appear non-partisan...only 27 more days....

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Why Obama does it, I don't know. But as someone who is trilingual, I do it because it's more comfortable and I'm not going to Americanize a word for because it rubs someone the wrong way that I say it slightly differently. They'll just have to deal.

Rubs someone the wrong way? Yes, it rubs me the wrong way when people switch languages mid-sentence. How about simply following English pronounciation rules because you're speaking....English.....and communicating with someone else who speaks......English.

Pronouncing it "your way" is either laziness or showing off that you're so....multilingual.

Screw that, fuck les francais. Look at me, I'm special!

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Rubs someone the wrong way? Yes, it rubs me the wrong way when people switch languages mid-sentence. How about simply following English pronounciation rules because you're speaking....English.....and communicating with someone else who speaks......English.

Pronouncing it "your way" is either laziness or showing off that you're so....multilingual.

Screw that, fuck les francais. Look at me, I'm special!

Uh, pronouncing "Istanbul" correctly vice saying "Istammmboulll" is not showing off. I've spent the majority of my life living overseas, I've learned a few things about not being the ugly American over the years and this is one of those tiny little nuances that people appreciate. Sorry if it offends your senses.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Seriously?...Can we kill this thread if it is going to degenerate into pronunciation arguing? I mean, if you guys are just fucking around to have fun, more power to you, but you're sounding like serious douchebags about 3 posts ago...

Status
Not open for further replies.