• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THE DEBATE, round 1

THE DEBATE: Round 1 ... WHO "WON" .. ???

• SENATOR McCAIN

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • SENATOR OBAMA

Votes: 26 24.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Most Naval Aviators are used to making a decision one way or another. Voting "present" is not normally an option.
+131

And an OUT-fuckin'-STANDING appreciation of the Naval Aviator psyche ...

Some smart guy once told me:

"We're not the way we are because we're Naval Aviators ... we're Naval Aviators because of the way we are ... "

Think about it. :)

Nafod

Change I can belive in
Exactly what I was thinking the entire debate. Have some fvcking respect.

That was an interesting rhetorical tactic. You got suckered in and wrapped around the axle about a rather unimportant detail (which was what he was trying to do to McCain). You would have done very well at TBS.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
Guessing most Republicans/conservatives give it to Sen McCain and most Democrats/liberals give it to Sen Obama, and moderates call it a draw... no surprise there. Most polls I saw of independents/undecideds gave it to Obama overall, and that demographic is the one to decide this election.

Personally, I thought the first half was better for Obama (on the attack in economics )the second half for McCain (on the attack in foreign policy). Sen McCain had more to lose after foundering around this last week with the financial crisis and bailout, his lower poll numbers, and this debate being on his strong suit-foreign policy. Sen Obama merely had to seem liked he had a grasp on foreign policy, look presidential and show that he "belonged on that stage". I noticed a lot less "umms" and "uhs" from Sen Obama. No major gaffs from either side, but I was surprised that Sen McCain couldn't look Sen Obama in the eye/look toward him, even after Jim Lehrer's telling them both repeatedly to address each other. Funny that others saw it as antagonistic, I saw it as being able to face up to someone you are disagreeing with.

I'm really looking forward to the VP debate, especially after the groan-inducing performance by Gov Palin with Katie Couric. When conservative pundits are calling for you to step down as Republican VP, you know you didn't knock it out of the ballpark.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=MDZiMDhjYTU1NmI5Y2MwZjg2MWNiMWMyYTUxZDkwNTE=

snake020

Contributor
I think Senator Obama missed a couple of opportunities - on the foreign policy issue with Georgia/Russia, Senator McCain made the issue out to be too simplistic; solely the fault of Russia. Obama alluded to the fact that it wasn't that simple, but he should have gone into more detail. The other was when McCain discussed his support of the military, yet his opposition to the post 9/11 GI-Bill wasn't mentioned.

McCain totally sidestepped the Iran issue; I watched last Saturday's forum on CNN with the five previous Secretaries of State and they all agreed the long policy of silence does not work.

Obama's lack of detail on where he wants to cut spending concerns me.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Obama's lack of detail on where he wants to cut spending concerns me.

It seemed they both tried to dodge this question...however many times it kept being rephrased.

At least Obama said, despite what needed to possibly be cut, he laid out what his priorities were. (Education, healthcare, alt. fuels) In my opinion this was a better answer than McCain's vague answer of "we need to just freeze all spending except defense...and veteran's benefits."

Obama alluded to the fact that we need to take a wait and see approach to see the figures at the end of the year, to see where we are at with respect to the budget(s) before deciding on what plans need to be put on the back burner. Makes perfect sense to me.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
That was an interesting rhetorical tactic. You got suckered in and wrapped around the axle about a rather unimportant detail (which was what he was trying to do to McCain). You would have done very well at TBS.

Maybe it was a ploy - but it wasn't the only thing I took away from the debate. I really feel like he kept conceding to Sen. McCain on many points - and then tried to spin them to match his platform. Either way, saying "John is right...." both shows your disrespect of someone very deserving of his title, and makes you look like a weaker candidate.

I'd never want to go to TBS, no thanks. :D

snake020

Contributor
What is the big hang-up here on the first name business? They both are Senators, same peer group and were supposed to be addressing each other directly in the debate.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
He went to arguably some of the most elitist schools in the country (as do his children) yet when I have children I can't choose where they will be educated.

Two things. The ivies are "elite," not "elitist." Otherwise the DoD wouldn't be sending your fellow officers there for advanced degrees. Also, your children can go there. They have to work really really hard in school (even in public school) and if they get in the money issue won't be an issue, thanks to massive endowments, ROTC, or merit-based scholarships.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The ivies are "elite," not "elitist."

We'll agree to disagree on that one. I've been to UPenn, Princeton, and Cornell. The only one where people didn't blatantly look down at me for planning on going into the Navy was Cornell. The kids at Penn and Princeton were d-bags.

grant_davis

McCain needed to talk bout or at least mention why he went back to DC and was thinking about postponing the debate. I think it says a lot that he was willing to put his campaign on hold to go do his job and Obama was not. I did like how McCain called Obama out about Pakistan..

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
McCain needed to talk bout or at least mention why he went back to DC and was thinking about postponing the debate. I think it says a lot that he was willing to put his campaign on hold to go do his job and Obama was not. I did like how McCain called Obama out about Pakistan..

"Call me if you need me..."

Umm...we need you. That's why you're a Senator. Do your job.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

Let's be balanced about this guys....McCain wanted to postpone the debate to head to Washington, he cancels Letterman because of the urgent need to get to DC but then he appears on Katy Couric?...He was not in Washington like he said he would be.

THEN he shows up in the 'Hall AFTER the bailout package had already been hashed out?

jt71582

pilot
Contributor
Let's be balanced about this guys....McCain wanted to postpone the debate to head to Washington, he cancels Letterman because of the urgent need to get to DC but then he appears on Katy Couric?...He was not in Washington like he said he would be.

THEN he shows up in the 'Hall AFTER the bailout package had already been hashed out?

I agree about the Katy Couric thing. He should have just told Letterman the truth - that he's a washed-up POS and he'd rather sit down with Katy to discuss something important than waste his time looking at Dave's teeth wondering if he should point and laugh or kick a field goal. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.