• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THE DEBATE, round 1

THE DEBATE: Round 1 ... WHO "WON" .. ???

• SENATOR McCAIN

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • SENATOR OBAMA

Votes: 26 24.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flugelman

Contributor
Senator Obama: "I have a plan to...."

OK, let's hear it...

On edit: Interesting statement from Senator Graham (R-SC) "If you're into class warefare, Obama won."

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Edge: Sen McCain.

I think McCain definitely set the pace of the debate and steered it more than Obama or the moderator would have liked.

On that note, here is something I've noticed about Sen. Obama, and it was painfully evident in tonight's debate. Mr. Obama cannot control the pace of an interview or a debate. His stance and attitude is almost purely defensive in nature. Tonight, you could see how Obama was not really trying to steer the coversation to his strengths and was conceeding alot to McCain. He almost always reacted to what McCain said instead of answering the question, and than spinning it to suit his goals. You'll also see this same reactionary type of response in most of his interviews. He will let the interviewer take him into an uncomfortable situation, and will have too little control over the interview to bring it back to his comfort level. I think this is one of Obama's biggest shortcomings. He cannot and does not own an interview.

stalk

Lobster's Pop
pilot
I've been flipping through FOX, MSNBC and CNN for the post debate review. I know this will be shocking (large amount of sarcasm) MSNBC has Obama the clear winner, CNN calls it a draw and FOX says McCain had a slight edge.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Edge: Sen McCain.

I think McCain definitely set the pace of the debate and steered it more than Obama or the moderator would have liked.

On that note, here is something I've noticed about Sen. Obama, and it was painfully evident in tonight's debate. Mr. Obama cannot control the pace of an interview or a debate. His stance and attitude is almost purely defensive in nature. Tonight, you could see how Obama was not really trying to steer the coversation to his strengths and was conceeding alot to McCain. He almost always reacted to what McCain said instead of answering the question, and than spinning it to suit his goals. You'll also see this same reactionary type of response in most of his interviews. He will let the interviewer take him into an uncomfortable situation, and will have too little control over the interview to bring it back to his comfort level. I think this is one of Obama's biggest shortcomings. He cannot and does not own an interview.

Good point. WEAKNESS. Not a quality I would want in a President.

gaetabob

pilot
I personally didn't think either "won" the debate. I felt it was not one of the better presidential debates I've watched. I understand you should try to use talking points and "answer the question you wish you were asked", but at some point someone needs to actually answer at least one of the questions asked.

Excluding the fact that neither actually answered a question, I think it was a draw. Each took turns putting the other on the defense, each had ok one liners and zingers, but neither one controled the debate nor said anything profound that we haven't already heard in the sound bites over the past two years, or however long this election season has been going on for.

I hope the next two debates have more substance...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Yes, it can be seen as a weakness.

The biggest issue I could see this causing as "President Obama" would be when negotiating with certain foreign leaders who have the ability to command a room just by walking into it. Or when in a situation where you need that air about you. I just don't think he has it in him.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
Both sides will claim a victory since no one who has already decided will change their mind.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Both sides will claim a victory since no one who has already decided will change their mind.
Soooooooooooooooooooooooo ... how about the rest of the voting populace in a dead-heat election ??? ... You know; the 10-15% that will decide who wins/loses ... ??? :)

You guys need quit being so cynical ... you're too young for that ... be more happy and gay ... like me.
:D

21996972fc4.jpg

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
be more happy and gay ... like me. :D

Do I have you to thank for the "Kinder and Gentler" Navy.

Couldn't resist.

As for the debate, I think that those undecided voters will wait for the next to prior to any decisions being made. I do feel that McCain came out ahead on this one.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think Sen. McCain started slow, but built up as the debate went on, especially as the debate went on to foreign policy, which I was expecting to hear from the beginning. As one blogger put it: I was lead to believe that this was a foreign policy debate . . . and there would be no math! :icon_tong

I think both parties and campaigns are having a huge WTF moment with the economy right now, and that translated into the debate. I think no one has a clear answer on that yet.

McCain dominated the foreign policy arena, though, and came off as both confident and prepared to handle the issues. Obama . . . was naive.

And having to read the bracelet before saying whose memory it was in was a HUGE turnoff. Why bother wearing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.