• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THE DEBATE, round 1

THE DEBATE: Round 1 ... WHO "WON" .. ???

• SENATOR McCAIN

Votes: 80 75.5%
  • SENATOR OBAMA

Votes: 26 24.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redux

McCain eeked it out, no HR's hit but obama couldn't even keep McCains name straight! :eek:

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I hosted a little debate party over here tonight.....(I should have invited Flash), and a few of the non Navy guys over here were self professed Reagan Democrats from Chicago and central Ohio..... They both felt like Obama looked like a dilletante. I think Axelrod told Lord O that he had to get McCain really pissed off....and it backfired. I think O came across as smarmy a few times.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
I've been flipping through FOX, MSNBC and CNN for the post debate review. I know this will be shocking (large amount of sarcasm) MSNBC has Obama the clear winner, CNN calls it a draw and FOX says McCain had a slight edge.

The CNN analysis that I listened to on the satellite (Anderson Cooper's crew) may have been calling it a draw, but all the polls that they decided to use and talk about where showing Obama as the "winner". Only one person on that crew pointed out how the results might be skewed since most of the respondents were Democrats.

STLEngineer

pilot
It's tough to judge, but 1/2 way through I gave it to Sen. Obama.

Second half, I think Sen. McCain tied it up.

For the viewers at home though, I think Sen. Obama came across as much more rehearsed (looking into the camera on answers). His soaring rhetoric may have connected with some undecided who are just tuning in to the election cycle. However, he didn’t do an effective job of tying Sen. McCain to the current administration, but one could tell that he had studied up on the issues.

Sen. McCain on the other hand never seems to be able to put the big picture together, and that is something he lacks compared to Sen. Obama. I’d like to see big picture points along the line of “higher taxes on businesses and the wealthy means less jobs, increased wage depression, or higher costs for consumers.” Also if he could tie his energy policy to his economic and foreign policies in a more sweeping fashion, I think it would get more traction.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I don't like how Sen Obama kept referring to Sen McCain as 'John'. Just seems a little unprofessional to me. Sen McCain always said 'Senator Obama'. Classy.

rookie7734

None
Sen. McCain intentionally did not look at Sen. Obama throughout most of the debate. If you noticed he either looked down or at the m.c. This began to irritate Sen. Obama. Sen. Obama also called Sen. McCain, John for most of the debate as a way of softening Sen. McCain up. It was clear to me that Sen. Obama had been practicing specific lines and body language to "get Sen. McCain heated."

It did not work. As I said Sen. McCain refused to even look at Sen. Obama even when the m.c. tried to get the two of them into a heated discussion. And on several occasions when Sen. McCain threw out some zingers, it was Sen. Obama who was visibally upset and got flushed. Sen. Obama was not as obvious as Al Gore was 8 years ago, but he was irritated. Sen. McCain was in command throughout this debate and it was Sen. Obama who was on the verge several times of losing it.

I'd score it for Sen. McCain. It wasn't a knock-out, but he won by decision.

FDX

It's mind games!
How can people believe in Sen. Obama's garbage? He says he will cut taxes for 95% but proposes billions in new spending. When asked repeatedly what he would sacrifice out of his spending plan because of the bailout price-tag he had no response. He says he will bring back jobs but wants to raise corporate and small business taxes. He made 4 million last year and gave 1% to charitable orgs, yet paying my taxes to pay for his programs is "neighborly". He went to arguably some of the most elitist schools in the country (as do his children) yet when I have children I can't choose where they will be educated. I've worked two jobs to put myself through college and now I'm supposed to pay for everyone else's higher education because he thinks everyone should have access. The government can't even manage social security and medicare yet somehow his plan will effectively manage healthcare for millions of Americans...funded by my tax dollars. Yeah right. Americans need to wake up. "President Obama" will be detrimental to this country.

end rant.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Wow, really impressed with Obama. He pretty much has my vote now. McCain has utterly failed to reach out to me which is a shame since he was my hero.

Obama definitely owned McCain in the debate.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He went to arguably some of the most elitist schools in the country (as do his children) yet when I have children I can't choose where they will be educated. I've worked two jobs to put myself through college and now I'm supposed to pay for everyone else's higher education because he thinks everyone should have access.

end rant.

You do realize that he earned his way into Columbia and Harvard. It is not like he graduated at the bottom of his classes there either.

And why can't your kids go to any school they want?

Bevo16

pilot
Better.

Now if you can just make up your mind prior to hearing anything, you will be ready to make O-4. :icon_smil

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
I don't like how Sen Obama kept referring to Sen McCain as 'John'. Just seems a little unprofessional to me. Sen McCain always said 'Senator Obama'. Classy.

Exactly what I was thinking the entire debate. Have some fvcking respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.