• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The basics of API

stgcst

Periodically they've upped the min required NSS in order to cull the herd a bit.

Something to keep in mind: 80 is the minimum passing grade for each exam, but if you get low-80's on all of your exams, you won't have a high enough NSS to graduate. You may still move on to flight-side, that's up to the Skipper, but at minimum you will pick up a pink sheet for "marginal performance".

Normally I'm a big advocate of the "if the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum," school of thought, but that doesn't really apply to API.

What's the current NSS? Is it still true that roughly 20% of the class won't move on to Primary? I read in a early post (2005) that you needed to maintain a 92 or better average to make the "cut".

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
What's the current NSS? Is it still true that roughly 20% of the class won't move on to Primary? I read in a early post (2005) that you needed to maintain a 92 or better average to make the "cut".

Not even close, unless things have changed a LOT since last year. Only guy in my class to not finish was an exchange student who was repeatedly UA and failed some tests.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
No, you don't have to have a 92 average. I'm not going to go into the min NSS, because there's no point in API studs worrying about NSS (not that it stops them). There's more to NSS than your academic average, anyway.

Don't get the idea that you'll be trucking along, thinking you're doing fine, then somebody hands you a pink sheet because you didn't meet an unknown cutoff number. If you're struggling, you'll know it.

If you're not scoring 90 or above on your exams at API, you should be concerned - not because of your average, but because it means you're not doing something right, study-wise. It means you haven't learned how to memorize lots of esoteric info quickly and accurately, and that's they key to success in flight school.

Gasman

I was an aero instructor many, many moons ago but the concepts are the same. For the aero majors, it is aero for rocks. I used to tell the class that I majored in Rugby, beer and women. Not necessarily in that order. I beat my buddy in every test because he was an aero guy and thought too much. I also had the dubious honor of giving the welcome aboard speech to the new classes. Told them to tell their husbands, wives, fiancees that they loved them but had to buckle down for 6 weeks and study. Too many officers and ocs types did not make it because they let outside influences (read honeys and dudes) interfere with the work. If you flunk out of AI, you'll never see your wings. Listen to the instructor. Most of what is said is the test. Memorize. If you don't understand the concept, treat it as PFM (pure f'ing magic) and be able to regergitate it for the test. Read all of the question, and all the answers. Typically two aren't even close and the working of the third is close but not correct. If a Grunt lateral transfer to the wing made it (me) so can you.

navyboy4415

What is the uniform of the day at API? I am at OCS now and would like to know if I should buy another set of polywools (they only issue us one set).

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
No, you don't have to have a 92 average. I'm not going to go into the min NSS, because there's no point in API studs worrying about NSS (not that it stops them). There's more to NSS than your academic average, anyway.

Don't get the idea that you'll be trucking along, thinking you're doing fine, then somebody hands you a pink sheet because you didn't meet an unknown cutoff number. If you're struggling, you'll know it.

If you're not scoring 90 or above on your exams at API, you should be concerned - not because of your average, but because it means you're not doing something right, study-wise. It means you haven't learned how to memorize lots of esoteric info quickly and accurately, and that's they key to success in flight school.

I agree about the min-to-pass. And I agree that if you're struggling in API, you'll know it. However, I do agree that if you are struggling your butt off in API, there should be some intervention from the command to see what's up, because, honestly, if you are struggling to succeed in API, Primary, Advanced, and the RAG are only going to get harder and unless something major changes in your habits and performance, you WILL fail and possibly not make it to wings and/or the fleet. just my 0.02 being a recent departure from the TRACOM and NATOPS completer at the RAG.

What is the uniform of the day at API? I am at OCS now and would like to know if I should buy another set of polywools (they only issue us one set).

They don't issue you shit. It comes out of your pocket. It's a nice graduation present when you get the bill at the end. :D

navyboy4415

They don't issue you shit. It comes out of your pocket. It's a nice graduation present when you get the bill at the end. :D

True.. they only "required" us to buy one set of khakis. The question for me to you guys is as an aviator how often do you wear your khakis? Should I have 3-4 sets of khakis or is 1-2 sets enough?

Thanks.

FastMover

NFO
None
True.. they only "required" us to buy one set of khakis. The question for me to you guys is as an aviator how often do you wear your khakis? Should I have 3-4 sets of khakis or is 1-2 sets enough?

Thanks.

Two should be plenty for now. While you're a stud you'll mostly be wearing flight suits unless you f up and have to see the man for something. Also some VT's require them for watch. I have two sets and have hardly touched them since API.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None

Thanks.

Don't buy another set of khakis. Couple of reasons: (1) After API, you will rarely wear them and one set is more than enough and (2) odds are you are going to put on a little weight after OCS so if you buy some right now and have them tailored to fit you at your OCS weight you will then have two sets of khakis that don't fit anymore.

That second point is what happened to me, your mileage may vary. Between a lack of a DI in my face, LOTS of beer, and the delicious pizza joint on Perdido Key, I shot right back up to my pre-OCS weight. Had fun doing it at least. Had to trash my OCS khakis, though.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
For API, have at least two sets of khakis. I would recommend three; two for daily wear and one kept dry-cleaned, pressed and inspection-ready. You never know when you need to look shit-hot with short notice. I can't tell you how many studs have shown up for PRB's with khakis that were clearly their "daily drivers" - one or two passes with an iron on those bad boys just doesn't work.

After you're done with API, you can leave the SH khakis hanging in the closet, and one set will be enough for VT, RAG and Fleet purposes. Periodic fit checks are advised.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Fester just trumped me. File my post under "Bad Gouge". I never used more than one set and the only inspection we had was on our first day. God, I'm getting old.

MasterBates

I have one pair that fits properly, and a "larger" pair if I am going to be stuck sitting around all day and would like to breathe. (just bought a larger shirt, my "tailored one" is a bit tight in the chest)

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
I have one pair that fits properly, and a "larger" pair if I am going to be stuck sitting around all day and would like to breathe. (just bought a larger shirt, my "tailored one" is a bit tight in the chest)

I didn't realize your chest had dropped to belt high Master :D:D:D

MasterBates

My tailored ones were tailored before I started bench pressing more than the Manatee weighs again. I had to slim down muscle wise (as well as some gut) to fit in the 45.