• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tattoo

billiken2002

pilot
Alright, I have a question for you guys to answer. Right now I am a sophomore in ROTC. And I am really itching to get a tattoo. I have no idea if there are any regulations on it or do I have to get permission before I do it. I have heard that Marine option do, but I haven't heard about Navy option. I obviously know that it can't be on my arms, neck, or face as if I was in uniform and what I would be getting is nothing Navy related. I just want to know if it's not a problem or is this something that I could risk losing my scholarship and possible commission over.

av8tor

No prob. As long as it's not offensive such as, sexual innuendo's, racial, etc. The Navy wouldn't have many Officer's if it banned tattoo's. Your upper arm is fine also. But please no cartoon characters!

Alex Fowler

I'm also a 3/c in NROTC and will be getting a US flag on my upper arm sometime during winter break, a bunch of people in my unit have tats, shouldn't be a problem as long as it's not offensive and not visible in uniform.

What are you thinking about getting?

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
Also remember that the Tat can cover no more than 1/4 of the body part its on. ie, no larger than 1/4 of your shoulder, lower back, etc.

Aimee

ha ha. check out this old thread re: tattoos.
Commissioning Programs / Paths to a Commission / TATTOOS

Enishi1983

Solid Snake
i was thinking about getting like a mythological figure (Anubis from Egyptian actually...), but i'm afraid that ppl will make fun of me b/c i like mythology :). what do you think the navy/usmc will say to that?

Stormy

HMT-302
The best advice I've heard about tatoos is that you should decide on some design, let the idea sit for a year and if you still want it, then get it. If you decide to change anything about it, then start another year's timing. Ideally that would make it so that you didn't regret having it anytime later. I've had one for several years and haven't regretted it once. Had some incredible artwork, though, too. Also, don't go with an artist who only copies things out of a "flash" book. Find someone who actually can do good artwork.

scarfacekracker

E-4 with 13 tats

I am currently a CPL in the USMC. I have 13 tattoos. Will this disqualify my from flying in the Corps. I heard that the Marine Corps was also adopting a new policy that if you have more then 3 tattoos or all your tattoos cover more then a 1/4 of a limb you can deny you from service. Is this true? Does it help any that I got all my tattoos since I been in? Plus I had all my tattoo's before this policy came about so would I get a grandfather clause? Please give me any input.

KBayDog

MCRC Frost Call 010-01

Here is the Reader's Digest version of the tattoo policy (MCRC FROST CALL 010-01) as it pertains to officer candidates. The reference is MCRC FROST CALL 022-03; this defines what is "go" and "no-go."

PLEASE TALK TO YOUR OSO/MOI/etc. REGARDING TATTOOS/BRANDS/ORNIMENTATION!!

NOTE: The Corps does not differentiate between officer and enlisted tattoo requirements.

Basically, every tatto requires a waiver now. CO, OCS will screen all candidates for tattoos, and will process waivers as needed. You are OK if you have been previously waived.

NROTC: Those currently in the program will be screened, but are "grandfathered" as long as the tattoos are not ones which a Commanding General is required to review (see below). Future NROTC selection boards will require tattoo waivers prior to selection.

MECEP: Basically, same as above. If you are in MECEP already, you are good. The FY '05 board will start requiring waivers.

ECP: Waivers will be approved by President, ECP selection board, and reviewed by CG, MCRC.

MCP: Same as ECP.

MCRC FROST CALL 022-03

Four criteria are used to evalute body markings. CONTENT, LOCATION, SIZE, NUMBER. The following are prohibited:

Content: Prejudicial to good order and discipline (racist, nude, vulgar, etc.)

Location: Anything on head or neck. THESE WILL NOT BE WAIVED!!

Size: If tattoos cover 1/4 of exposed body part (arm, leg) when wearing PT gear. Individual tattoos on exposed area can be no larger than the size of your "hand with fingers extended and joined with the thumb touching the base of the index finger."

NUMBER: More than four (4) tattoos/markings require region CG waiver.

I hope this helps...

scarfacekracker

I got one tattoo from my knee to my ankle. Is this really going to disqualify me? I also have one on the base of my neck. you can see it with skivy shirt on. But anything with a colar covers it up. What do you think my chances are?

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
Just remember, he who hesitates masturbates. If you want in, you go to the OSO, fill out the paper work and become persistent about it. Nobody (especially the USMC) gives out freebees. Does it matter what your chances are? Wouldn’t you rather be the guy that keeps going while they keep telling you no.

KBayDog

scarfacekracker said:
I got one tattoo from my knee to my ankle. Is this really going to disqualify me? I also have one on the base of my neck. you can see it with skivy shirt on. But anything with a colar covers it up. What do you think my chances are?

You can look into it, but the document says that "neck and head" is considered anything visible when wearing standard PT gear...

Good luck.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not sure of the official written Navy policy, but we had an applicant rejected for tattoos. The applicant was prior USMC and had been rejected by the Marines. A very good applicant but with lots of tattoos on the back, some on arms and I think legs. Nothing visable in uniform. Apparently they just thought that the applicant had too many. Give me a break already. If you can't keep from going under the needle to ensure you have the very best application then maybe you are more serious about permenantly inking your body then about being an officer in the Navy or USMC. Get your priorities straight!!

KBayDog

wink said:
If you can't keep from going under the needle to ensure you have the very best application then maybe you are more serious about permenantly inking your body then about being an officer in the Navy or USMC. Get your priorities straight!!

For those who desire to become a naval officer these days, yes, serious thought should be given as to whether to get any form of body art. It is obvious that the DoD is cracking down on tattoos.

However, not everybody knows what the future might bring. I agree that this makes an excellent case for erring on the side of caution, as rejection from military service is one of the "possession risks" (as the healthcare field would call it) of body art.

To say that all potential officers with tattoos are "more serious about permenantly inking [their bodies] then about being [officers] in the Navy or USMC" and need to get their "priorities straight" is unfair, and in many cases, untrue.

Right or wrong, tattoos are somewhat of a right of passage for junior enlisted folks; most are away from their homes for the first time, and peer pressure can be a bear. Is full thought given to the potential implications of their actions? Not always. Contrary to what is posted on airwarriors.com, not everybody enlists with the goal of earning a commission. Most enlist to serve as enlisted servicemen. Many intend to jump ship after their four years.

After time, however, many decide that they love their service, and want to serve as commissioned officers. It took me over four years to decide that I desired a commission; by then *gulp*, the "damage" was done - I had gotten a tattoo. Many of the Marines I will be commissioned with have between 7-12 years of active service behind them already, and I cannot think of any who do not have at least one tattoo.

What would happen if the Corps shut the door on all of us? Well, according to "Finding the Best Relationship With the U.S. Naval Academy" (Marine Corps Gazette, April 2004), a valuable commissioning source would be eliminated. It appears that, at least at TBS, Marine lieutenants with enlisted experience perform at a level considerably above their peers. In short, the Corps would lose many good officers. (I am curious to see if the trend presented in the article continues after TBS...)

The crackdown on tattoos is a very recent event; perhaps in the future, fewer candidates will have body art. However, until the message gets out that tattoos are becoming a taboo in the military, people will continue to get them. We need to ensure that the intent of "higher" is being met: We all have a responsibility to spread the word, educate potential servicemen, and do our best to promote responsible decision-making.

We should not, however, pass judgement.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I didn't say that folks WITH tattoos had their priorities wrong or didn't want to become an officer badly enough. To be specific, if some one is currently thinking of getting a tat, whether his first or another, and is concerned it might effect a future application for commission, then he has to set his prioirties. Ink up and take your chances or wait until you have the commission. And for the record, "passing judgement" is what recruiting officers and members of the board do. In fact, it is going to be required of every officer. Someone thinking of applying for a commission might want to start on making a judgment call on the value of personal body art versus an opportunity to serve your country, operate really cool stuff and lead some of the best men and women our country has to offer, including ones with tattoos.