• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tailhook '91

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
I played some dice game at the I-bar. No idea what it was called but I got beer out of it and thus, I'm a fan.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately, I think that it means that they don't see a huge overreaction to an "offensive" event as anything strange. They grew up with such blather and don't know anything different.

Not true.

I think many of us are adept at identifying an over-reaction to something, especially when it's as life-changing for our service as was the Tailhook incident. As was stated before, it's not something you really hear about anymore. Besides, I was six when it happend.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
... Besides, I was six when it happend.

That's my point. That isn't a slam on your age group, just an observation.

It's similar to my kids and their seatbelts/carseats. They FREAK OUT if I start to pull out of the driveway before they are strapped in like they're in the space shuttle. That's all they know.

When I was growing up nobody ever bothered with such things.

I'm not sure if you realize what it was like back then. And I'm speaking as a guy who was in flightschool at the time (i.e. not too far ahead of you). When I hear about what it was like in the 60s and 70s, parts of it sound really cool, but I'm sure that I don't have all of the context. It's just a generational thing.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Wasn't taken as a slam, I see what you're getting at. I am sure most of, if not all of us yearn for the days when you could do something "uncouth" and not have to worry about your career going down the drain because the wrong person saw it.

I was in the naval aviation museum a couple of months back, and I wandered into the Cubi Point O-club "exhibit". Looking through the myriad plaques and statues from different dets and cruises, I found one from a WestPac my dad did in '91 or '92, can't remember which right now. That was right before they retired his airplane, the OV-10. I stood there, looking at that plaque and all the others. It really hit me then that I really, really wished that I had been born maybe 20 years earlier, so that I could have had experienced this brotherhood of naval aviation that's supposedly died. It's a damn shame guys like us, who, I imagine aren't all that different from the men who flew F4F's, F-4's, A-4's, Hueys, etc back in the glory days won't ever get what they did, just because someones feelings might get hurt.

/rant.

AJB37

Thought from the younger generation . . . the fact that a 5th year college senior posting on a Naval Aviation message board didn't have any idea what Tailhook was may be a clue that we as an organization and a society are beginning to get over some of the PC BS of the era . . .

I was six when tailhook went down, so that probably has a bit to do with not knowing about it. But, I hope you're right about the end of the PC culture.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I was curious if VMFA-121 is still known as the Rhinos after the prop that was in their admin??

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I don't think they are called that. They're the Green Knights but use the callsign "Combat" (I think). Was that them that had the Rhino with the booze dispensing....uh....appendage?

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
My old NJROTC CO (who had earned the Navy Cross as a helo pilot in Vietnam) was red flagged by Hook 91. It was a subject of much discussion in our high school leadership classes.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
I was in the naval aviation museum a couple of months back, and I wandered into the Cubi Point O-club "exhibit". Looking through the myriad plaques and statues from different dets and cruises, I found one from a WestPac my dad did in '91 or '92, can't remember which right now. It really hit me then that I really, really wished that I had been born maybe 20 years earlier, so that I could have had experienced this brotherhood of naval aviation that's supposedly died. It's a damn shame guys like us, who, I imagine aren't all that different from the men who flew F4F's, F-4's, A-4's, Hueys, etc back in the glory days won't ever get what they did, just because someones feelings might get hurt.

/rant.

It still amazes me that one of the highlights of my time in WestPac was always the Cubi O'Club. As a part of CVW-5, we used to fly off the Midway to our homeport of Atsugi when we were within 100 miles of Yokosuke (the Midway's homeport). Much to the chagrin of my wife, on all but one flyoff we turned south and flew back to Cubi for some "low level" training on what we termed "the flyoff cross country."

Even in port, we took cross countries to Cubi via either Kadena or Osan. But always Cubi was the final destination. Yes, the Cubi O'Club and Olangapo had that much pull.