• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B Texan II enters service at NAS Whiting

NightVisionPen

In transition
pilot
That's what I mean. I'm assuming the seat is the same as the T-6A seat, which had a completely integrated survival pack. All that crap in the vest was in a seat pack that deployed after your time on mr toad's wild ride was over. All we had was a nifty harness rig with shoulder and seat attachments.

In addition to what the other guys said, the air force has a different mentality with regard to survival equipment and I see that you went through Vance. In a F/A-18 you have a lot of gear in your seat as well, but since we are expected to be flying over water all the time the Navy has us wearing almost as much stuff on our body in case we can't get to the raft. Flying Vipers in Fallon we had barely anything on our harness because we used the approved air force gear for the jet.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
All joking aside, is there a reason I shouldn't be wanting to go to TW-5 now? With the pace they way it is right now, I'm not projecting to leave PCola until the fall, and the Texan keeps showing up, making my odds better. VT-3 now, 6 and 2 to follow.

You'll still have a 2/3 chance of flying the T-34 given the projected transition timeline (but that changes weekly anyway).

I went through primary, and advanced in Corpus. It was a great time. (Pcola was still recovering from Ivan when I went through).

If I had the chance to chose between the two again and the T-6 wasn't in the equation- I would choose Corpus.

All the reasons you listed to not chose Whiting are bogus because you are only going to be in either location for 6months to a year (depending on wait time to class up). I will agree that the worst part about Whiting is that it is in Milton- it seemed like there was almost always a party going on in Corpus when I went through.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Also, any reason for the VT-3 hate? Or just ball busting?

Just seems to perpetuate the AF stereotypes with regards to sop, mando study hours, and the only squadron as far as I know that has people scheduled standby for sims. In the end it's all small stuff, more of a hassle? Yes. Life altering? No. Have fun in primary

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
I'd say it was 6.

Regardless, we can both agree it wasn't 3.

That's cuz you weren't in 3! ;)

Also, any reason for the VT-3 hate? Or just ball busting?

Jealousy. :icon_smil

Something about mandatory study for 8 hours if you weren't scheduled was a big one.

Myth. At least it is now. The only people with mando study are people on SMS.

Just seems to perpetuate the AF stereotypes with regards to sop, mando study hours, and the only squadron as far as I know that has people scheduled standby for sims. In the end it's all small stuff, more of a hassle? Yes. Life altering? No. Have fun in primary

SOP is pretty standard Navy, nothing mind blowing on the suck meter that you wouldn't get in any other Navy unit. Not sure about the standby sims, but really? I don't really see why it would even be more of a hassle. If you don't "sim" you got a dry run in so you're that much more prepared.

Oh, and as far as the "complicated" course rules:

1. They keep updating them for the T-6.
2. They are pretty easy. (So far) 360 out, vector to 340 out, follow some power lines and big @$$ buildings home. (that's the Cliffnotes version, but it's really pretty simple).

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And as a VT-3 alum from 04-05, none of that stuff was there when I went though, nor will it likely be there in a few years' time. As with every other squadron in the Navy, "change" is just a Change of Command away. Good and bad. Something to keep in mind.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
All well & good re: the Texan (II) ... but riddle me this, sports-fans:

In the Texan (II) ... how DOES one fly a PPEL over 4-Silo Farm w/ the canopy open ... ???

Hmmmmmmm ... ????
:)

vt1stud.jpg

BTW ... Pilatus ... Raytheon (now Hawker) ... Tucano ... Canada ... Switzerland ... HOW DARE ANYONE CALL THIS MISBEGOTTEN HYBRID A 'TEXAN' ... ???!!!???!!!

Please feel free to pick the 'real Texan' out of the two airplanes pictured ... :)

What, no love for Beechcraft? I've seen them on the factory floor smack dab in the middle of America, but nobody wants to fly the T-6 Kansas, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Don't knock it till you try it, either. Guys who loved the T-28 probably felt the same way I feel about the T-6...miss it, it was a fun little airplane to start flying in.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
All well & good re: the Texan (II) ... but riddle me this, sports-fans:

In the Texan (II) ... how DOES one fly a PPEL over 4-Silo Farm w/ the canopy open ... ???

Hmmmmmmm ... ????
:)

BTW ... Pilatus ... Raytheon (now Hawker) ... Tucano ... Canada ... Switzerland ... HOW DARE ANYONE CALL THIS MISBEGOTTEN HYBRID A 'TEXAN' ... ???!!!???!!!

Please feel free to pick the 'real Texan' out of the two airplanes pictured ... :)[/B]

Well, at least they're both powered by a Pratt and Whitney engine?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
What, no love for Beechcraft? I've seen them on the factory floor smack dab in the middle of America, but nobody wants to fly the T-6 Kansas, just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Don't knock it till you try it, either. Guys who loved the T-28 probably felt the same way I feel about the T-6...miss it, it was a fun little airplane to start flying in.

Not going to lie, I loved flying the T-34, may not have been very gucci, but it was my first, and that goes a long long way.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Not going to lie, I loved flying the T-34, may not have been very gucci, but it was my first, and that goes a long long way.

Agreed. Especially when they break in your home state, 1000 miles away from home. God those Brat's were good.

Pags

N/A
pilot
And as a VT-3 alum from 04-05, none of that stuff was there when I went though, nor will it likely be there in a few years' time. As with every other squadron in the Navy, "change" is just a Change of Command away. Good and bad. Something to keep in mind.

The skipper we had when we were there was awesome. That probably helped a lot.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Two things stand out in the press release that's on Facebook

"The 2009 Naval Academy graduate ..... has hopes to one day fly the F/A-18 Hornet."

Nothing like getting the "kiss of death" out of the way really, really early. I guess everyone has hopes and dreams, but "needs of the Navy" will probably rear its ugly head very soon in this young lad's career.

"I’m here for the Wing of Gold,” he said.

I don't think he wants one of these:
BaloonWings.jpg

Balloon Pilot Wing Insignia
The exact date the Balloon Pilot wing device was approved is not clear. However, the description of the wing first appeared in the 1922 Uniform Regulations of 20 September 1922. In this Uniform Regulation the following statement appears: “Enlisted men holding certificates of qualification as balloon pilots shall wear the same insignia as in paragraph (a) but with the right wing removed.” Paragraph (a) was a description of the Naval Aviator wings. There were no changes between 1922 and 1947. In the 1947 Uniform Regulations of 2 May 1947, the words “Enlisted men” are replaced by “Persons” in the above statement. The 1978 U.S. Navy Uniform Regulations removed the Balloon Pilot insignia from the authorized list of aviation breast insignia.

Python

pilot
Contributor
Two things stand out in the press release that's on Facebook

"The 2009 Naval Academy graduate ..... has hopes to one day fly the F/A-18 Hornet."

Nothing like getting the "kiss of death" out of the way really, really early. I guess everyone has hopes and dreams, but "needs of the Navy" will probably rear its ugly head very soon in this young lad's career.

"I’m here for the Wing of Gold,” he said.

I don't think he wants one of these:

The exact date the Balloon Pilot wing device was approved is not clear. However, the description of the wing first appeared in the 1922 Uniform Regulations of 20 September 1922. In this Uniform Regulation the following statement appears: “Enlisted men holding certificates of qualification as balloon pilots shall wear the same insignia as in paragraph (a) but with the right wing removed.” Paragraph (a) was a description of the Naval Aviator wings. There were no changes between 1922 and 1947. In the 1947 Uniform Regulations of 2 May 1947, the words “Enlisted men” are replaced by “Persons” in the above statement. The 1978 U.S. Navy Uniform Regulations removed the Balloon Pilot insignia from the authorized list of aviation breast insignia.

Whats wrong with that? Why is that the kiss of death? He may do very well and reach his dreams. Needs of the service may intervene but if he finishes top of his class those chances are greatly reduced.