• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B Texan II enters service at NAS Whiting

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
All joking aside, is there a reason I shouldn't be wanting to go to TW-5 now? With the pace they way it is right now, I'm not projecting to leave PCola until the fall, and the Texan keeps showing up, making my odds better. VT-3 now, 6 and 2 to follow.

In the past, the reasons I heard against Whiting were:

-Whiting's Course Rules were more complicated vice CC. Makes for a steeper learning curve.
-WX in Corpus is slightly better flying wise
-Socially, TW-5 is worse because most folks are married

Points 1 & 3 are completely retarded reasons not to go to a place. Pcola > CC based on everything I've heard. Also, most folks are not married in TW-5, not sure where you heard that. There may be more, but it's definitely not most (note during my time there). Also, course rules may be slightly more difficult, but certainly not tough. If you're having troubles with course rules, your troubles certainly will not end there.

Reactions: Van

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
Course rules were not that complicated. It was just like memorizing an EP.

agreed. Much was made of all that going in and I really didn't think they were that difficult. Not to mention the best primary squadron is at Whiting (VT-2 BTW)

careerO-3

pilot
That's what I mean. I'm assuming the seat is the same as the T-6A seat, which had a completely integrated survival pack. All that crap in the vest was in a seat pack that deployed after your time on mr toad's wild ride was over. All we had was a nifty harness rig with shoulder and seat attachments.

Different fittings, koch fittings vs frost fittings, in the t-6a they use the air force gear.

Random Task

pilot
That's what I mean. I'm assuming the seat is the same as the T-6A seat, which had a completely integrated survival pack. All that crap in the vest was in a seat pack that deployed after your time on mr toad's wild ride was over. All we had was a nifty harness rig with shoulder and seat attachments.

When I did DJET, this class of T-6B dudes were there also. The instructors made a differentiation between the A seat and B seat.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
The weather in Corpus during the winter is straight up heinous. And the local talent is FAR better in Pensacola than Corpus.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
True, but just because a bunch of 2's are twice as better than all the 1's walking around in CC isn't sayin' much.

Maybe during the winter, but during the summer the skirt on Pensacola Beach is incredible. Corpus gets a little imported ass around spring break, but sucks otherwise.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
All well & good re: the Texan (II) ... but riddle me this, sports-fans:

In the Texan (II) ... how DOES one fly a PPEL over 4-Silo Farm w/ the canopy open ... ???

Hmmmmmmm ... ????
:)

vt1stud.jpg

BTW ... Pilatus ... Raytheon (now Hawker) ... Tucano ... Canada ... Switzerland ... HOW DARE ANYONE CALL THIS MISBEGOTTEN HYBRID A 'TEXAN' ... ???!!!???!!!

Please feel free to pick the 'real Texan' out of the two airplanes pictured ... :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
When I went through VT-27 and VT-31 in 1994 and 1995, Corpus was a shit hole. Pensacola was less of a shit hole. Having just completed a tour in Pensacola, it has improved....mainly the beach life, ten fold. There is actually more talent in P-cola than there used to be. It's not exactly San Diego, in Pacific Beach, but it's not Korea either!! If it came down to P-cola vice Corpus for QOL, I'll take P-cola.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Better tacos in CC. Better beaches nearby at NASWF. Neither Whiting nor Corpus is superior. Unless you've got a pressing reason to go to one or the other (girlfriend, family), you might just as well flip a coin.

CC's course rules are very simple - head east until you hit water, turn left for the north working areas, right for the south, memorize a few landmarks for the course rules home and the Waldron and Cabaniss patterns...that's about it. But it's not really a reason to go there.

Seriously, flip a coin. Fate will intervene, and the universe will unfold as it should.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
All ... that's as in ALL ... of the beach cottages @ Pensacola Beach used to be constructed out of concrete blocks ... seriously.

Mold ... damp clothes/uniforms in the closets ... bugs ... window A/C's ... no garages ... lousy bars (but they had alcohol) ... lousy restaurants ... but lots of 'chicks' lookin' for a husband ... life was good. :)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Roger the above comments and thanks. TW-5 it is for this kid. Still a dice roll for squadron, but whatever. In the meantime, I'll be at the bar.

Also, any reason for the VT-3 hate? Or just ball busting?