• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B Texan II enters service at NAS Whiting

UF_ME

@ Mechbound - Awesome high res photos. I like the combination of Texans and Mentors, especially in the sunset (or rise)

T6BTxnMechBound

@ Mechbound - Awesome high res photos. I like the combination of Texans and Mentors, especially in the sunset (or rise)

Thanks .. have a lot more as 22 years at this location has offered the chance ..... the pics are facing west .... sunset .... standing outside the T6B hanger office spaces ....

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Alright, here's my stupid question. Those middle doors close at the end of the cycle, I get that. And it seems they are open on the deck when the T-6 is parked. Where the hell are they in Toaster's 3rd pic (T-6 on final)?

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Alright, here's my stupid question. Those middle doors close at the end of the cycle, I get that. And it seems they are open on the deck when the T-6 is parked. Where the hell are they in Toaster's 3rd pic (T-6 on final)?

I think you said it yourself, they close at the end of the cycle. That goes for gear going up and down, so you don't have two big doors hanging in the wind, and possibly hitting stuff on the ground.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
So why are they down when the T-6 is parked on the flight line?

The hyds bled down from the engine being off for long enough and gravity took over.

*Again assuming it works the same way as a T-45.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So why are they down when the T-6 is parked on the flight line?

I don't have any experience with T-6's but another poster above mentioned that the hyd pressure eventually peters out and the doors droop open if the plane hasn't flown in a while. In the T-45 the maintainers would have us drop the doors after shutting down so they could access more stuff inside the plane.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
I don't have any experience with T-6's but another poster above mentioned that the hyd pressure eventually peters out and the doors droop open if the plane hasn't flown in a while. In the T-45 the maintainers would have us drop the doors after shutting down so they could access more stuff inside the plane.

K'ville only (emergency gear handle, right?).

Meridian either wipes out (to check for hyd 1/2 hardover and counter flow or whatever on hyd 2), or does nothing w/r/t hyds (which we were told not to do anymore). Still if the jet hasn't flown in a bit (or if the maintainers drop them) gravity takes over and the doors will be down.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
cool...I figured it was a maintenance thing, but I was unaware that you could manually control those specific doors from the cockpit. Thanks man, good luck in the RAG.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
K'ville only (emergency gear handle, right?).

Meridian either wipes out (to check for hyd 1/2 hardover and counter flow or whatever on hyd 2), or does nothing w/r/t hyds (which we were told not to do anymore). Still if the jet hasn't flown in a bit (or if the maintainers drop them) gravity takes over and the doors will be down.

Word came out before I left to stop doing the wipe out after shutdown. Also, I was actually only asked a couple times to drop em, usually that would be one of the first things the maintainer did after we got out. Time to continue purging now useless T-45 knowledge...

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Well you can't 'control' them persay from inside the cockpit. The inner doors open to allow the gear to drop, then retract closed (as discussed above). The cycle reverses for the gear to go up. As for 'controlling' them, if you pull the emergency gear door handle the inner doors will stay open. If that handle isn't fully seated, it is possible a plane could take off and not get a positive up/locked on all 3 gear and the door. After a rash of unsafe gear indications maintence tried to blame the situation on pilots either not fully seating the handle, or resting gear on the handle. From the pilots perspective neither was possible. The relationship b/w the two seems correct though; they would say the opposite.

Mx: "Stupid pilots. Hanging gear from the Emergency Gear Handle" Pilots: "Stupid Mx. Can't fix the jets, and blaming it on us."

Comparable to all the IPs commenting on the great Mx vs Ops grudge.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I have worked in both departments. In helo land, there are "stupid AW's" to blame stuff on as well, so we have a triangle of love. There is a grudge...Ops wants to fly 'em and Mx wants to fix 'em (and not fly them, unless they need to get into a window). It has and will always exist.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
It isn't a maintenance thing in the T-6. The inboard doors are open in those pics because of what was mentioned before; hyd. Px bled off after engine shut down. The speed brake will sag sometimes too. The only other time the inboard doors would stay down is if the emergency landing gear handle was pulled. We don't drop the inboard doors for maintenance after landing or anything like that.

Nice pics BTW Mechbound. You have a thing for 017? (It's in most of the pics.) That was my first flight plane, but we had a pre-start malfunction and had to switch to the backup (018).