• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

T-6B Texan II enters service at NAS Whiting

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
There is a great write up called "Florida Welcomes Texans" in the US Navy Airpower special edition of the Air Forces Monthly magazine. Well done with some great pics. Three B models were delivered Jan 5th 2010 to TRAWING 5 presumably with that new airplane smell.. (The BN of the one in the pic above isn't listed so there must be more than 3 in town by now?)

By my last count there's about 20 or so. They take up the first 20 spots on A line (25 spots per line), and have started on the first 4 or 5 of B line.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Contract instructor pilots? Believe it. They've taken over the sim world and there's plenty waiting for the flying side of the house to cave under manning pressure.
It won't happen tomorrow, but I see it in 5 yrs or so.

Doesn't the Army do it like that?

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Contract instructor pilots? Believe it. They've taken over the sim world and there's plenty waiting for the flying side of the house to cave under manning pressure.
It won't happen tomorrow, but I see it in 5 yrs or so.

Any idea if the contract pilots would have some experience in faster, more maneuverable, fixed wing glass cockpit - ejection seat equipped aircraft?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Any idea if the contract pilots would have some experience in faster, more maneuverable, fixed wing glass cockpit - ejection seat equipped aircraft?

Many of the contract jobs on the market require so many hours in type, and a certain number of NVG flying hours etc . . .Typically this means they catch people coming off of active duty, in the reserves, or recently retired.

AJTranny

Over to the dark side I go...
pilot
None
I don't see why you we need that. I think glass and a few more knots wouldn't be hard for any competent pilot to transition to. Ask the P3/Helo guys that have been flying T6s in Pensacola for the past seven years.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I think glass and a few more knots wouldn't be hard for any competent pilot to transition to.

True dat. Glass cockpits are so nice because they are easier, IMO. Once you get the pages and the buttonology down, it's so much nicer.

How much faster does the T-6 typically fly? Wikipedia says Vmo=316, with typical cruise speed around 220. Sure, it's fast for a trainer, but even the mighty Orion routinely does faster than that; no need for fast mover time, unless I'm missing something.

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Is this the first class to go through VT-3 with the Texan? I thought they've been training with the T-6B for a month-ish now. Ground school for a month first?

Oh, and saw a pair on the ramp at MVC a few weeks ago. VERY f'in cool up close.

Yep, first class started Apr. 19 and flew May 18.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
With this airplane being much more capable than the good old Turbo Weenie (speed, ceiling, maneuverability, cockpit layout, ejection seat, etc), are they going to start detailing more TACAIR guys down there to instruct?

I wouldn't know about that of course but the Air Forces Monthly piece says that ..."the transition team and senior leadership are looking at ways to save money by possibly adding a Strike Top-off phase."

It directly quotes a Lt Cdr from TW-5's FITU as saying...

"We might be able to download some flights from the T-45 to T-6. We're looking at stuff like TACTURNS, a 4g manoeuvre. The T-34 can't do that . We can start doing these early training sorties and save cost per flight hours in the T-45 strike pipeline. If we do that, and we are looking into that right now, then we are talking some significant savings."

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
There's a strike top-off phase in the MPTS already. Tacform in primary would have been fun.

Tacform? Hell, I would have been happy with CRUISE Forms. Those along with the combo maneuver PA flights have been cut from the syllabus. I flew cruise for about 5 minutes during F4005, and that was it. Having even a modest intermediate syllabus for tacair seems to make some sense. T34 to T45 has to be a monster leap.

Does anybody know why TW-5 expects the transition to the T-6B to take 5 years to complete? They're on pace for receiving 100 planes a year.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
All of these things could already have been yours, if you gents had just gone to Vance. Cruise forms, 6G's regularly, Over the top stuff in formation....just go to the dark place and it will all be available to you...I got halfway to my Tac-Form checkride when they told me "good job...that was your last flight. Enjoy corpus."