• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Sweater

Is it retarded for a SNA to wear a SWO sweater?

• Yes

Votes: 58 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Can one of the Mods determined who voted "NO" on this poll?

Must be some mischievous miscreants, perhaps in the hope of inspiring a young, motivated, but misguided hard-charger to wear one :)

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
While I agree completely that such a garment should never be worn with brown shoes, perhaps those misguided few are the ones who, like me, desire to wear the garment itself. It looks ever so warm and cozy...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
To see who's in the 7%. Are they Flight Students or winged Aviators/NFOs? Are thye trying to giveout bad gouge to see if someone will actually follow that gouge.

It was close to 50/50 I wouldn't care, but since it's so one-sided, I am very curious as to who has the opinion that a SWO sweater is a good idea for a flight student.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
To see who's in the 7%. Are they Flight Students or winged Aviators/NFOs? Are thye trying to giveout bad gouge to see if someone will actually follow that gouge.

It was close to 50/50 I wouldn't care, but since it's so one-sided, I am very curious as to who has the opinion that a SWO sweater is a good idea for a flight student.

If you must know, I was one of the bunch. The SWOter is just so stylish, much like SWOveralls. :D

Renegade One

None
I am very curious as to who has the opinion that a SWO sweater is a good idea for a flight student.
Okay…fair, but I feel this is going to go south for me. Frankly, nothing new here…I, too, was "one of the bunch".

It's a frakin' sweater…authorized piece of uniform…not sure how it ever got the "SWO" label. Wear it…don't wear it…I don't care. It didn't come out until I was already pretty long in the tooth, but I bought one and wore it with my 'FO Wings leather name tag when the temps made it seem a reasonable choice. YMMV.

I'm sure that doesn't respond AT ALL to your basic issue about "would I wear one in API/flight school". I dunno…just never came up. But as "that guy" who shelled out the beans to buy a set of AWGs from Abbott's while I was still a "NAOC" checking into VT-10 because the Skipper said "you guys are authorized to wear it!"…I probably would have. I was a bit of a uniform geek. Never got a pink for it.

Authorized uniforms are just that. I don't know why there's so much angst nowadays about brown shoes, flight jackets, "dips" in garrison caps, "my father's belt buckle", yadda yadda yadda. Are these things actually graded criteria?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
R1 raises an excellent point. Get some aviation working greens and wear them instead. If someone tries to correct you, throw a knife hand in their face and say "not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone!"

Renegade One

None
R1 raises an excellent point. Get some aviation working greens and wear them instead. If someone tries to correct you, throw a knife hand in their face and say "not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone!"
Well, I'm not actually recommending that…nor a pith helmet either.:)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Well, I'm not actually recommending that…nor a pith helmet either.:)
Back in the 80s on Dodge we used to wear khaki shorts and pith helmets. Why? Because we could and the store on Diego Garcia had thousands of pith helmets they sold for a buck each.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
When I was stashed at my ROTC unit post-commissioning, I thought it would be stylish to rock a khaki combination cover with my khakis...and brown shoes. I didn't know any better. I was stopped by my XO, a Rhino guy, and told I could either ditch the cover or the shoes. No way was I going to get rid of my beloved brown shoes!

I came in the next day wearing my pisscutter, complete with one hell of a dip...had to pay penance to the brown shoe gods...

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
....I thought it would be stylish to rock a khaki combination cover with my khakis...and brown shoes. I didn't know any better.
Hmmm, I've been retired a long time, but this was a very normal & common summer Aviation dress uniform throughout my career.:)
"Hinge"!
LCDR Hugh Magee   VA-44 - 1969.jpg
BzB