• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

SWO Sweater

Is it retarded for a SNA to wear a SWO sweater?

• Yes

Votes: 58 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Renegade One

None
... QD watch is a force protection thing, so why the hell would you be in a dress uniform for it?
Just me…but I think you may be confusing "Base Gate Guard", "Base Security" cadre, "Pier Access Guard" (and maybe even more layers) with "QD Watch". I think the last is mostly about protocol, visitor greeting, etc.
If the QD is where you think FP resides…well, you've missed some better options.

Renegade One

None
I wore a Bridge Coat all the time on TR when I had to stand OOD In Port in cold weather. It was that or freeze my ass off as it was the only thing I could wear with SDBs.
Me too. In Port OOD from balls to 0400 with SDBs and bridge coat. Same boat too.
KBay's Common Sense Solution: Wear a functional, vice "traditional," uniform when standing your watches.

(But, since we're dealing with the Department of the Navy, I'll just take my common sense elsewhere...)
I agree with all of you…strangely enough…and will challenge anyone to find a more "functional" piece of uniform on a cold-ass QD watch than a Navy Bridge Coat. Just like HALPilot and BigIron said...

A borrowed Bridge Coat saved my life one evening...as I made the foot trek from Pier 12 to the old NEX onboard NOB NORVA. Jeezus….cold as I've ever been in my life...

Renegade One

None
I would imagine the ship's First Lt. and his deck apes had a s**t hemorrhage when they got wind of two complete external paint proposals!:eek:
BzB
Not that anything like that has ever slowed down a "great idea".

"Skipper…this would be totally AWESOME…what if we pull in to [fill in your fave o'seas liberty port] wearing (whatever) or with the ship painted (whatever)!"

"Then, we could do a fly-over of the town the day before pull-in and have divisions of jets dispense "First Night Party" invitations from their speed brakes!"

[Hint: One of these stories is historically factual…];)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Not that anything like that has ever slowed down a "great idea".

"Skipper…this would be totally AWESOME…what if we pull in to [fill in your fave o'seas liberty port] wearing (whatever) or with the ship painted (whatever)!"

"Then, we could do a fly-over of the town the day before pull-in and have divisions of jets dispense "First Night Party" invitations from their speed brakes!"

[Hint: One of these stories is historically factual…];)
Please say it was the invites.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You all need to buy/make this patch:

$(KGrHqJHJCYE+520e2bhBQYrOk2o0g~~60_35.JPG

available on ebay for $8 + $2 S/H.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just me…but I think you may be confusing "Base Gate Guard", "Base Security" cadre, "Pier Access Guard" (and maybe even more layers) with "QD Watch". I think the last is mostly about protocol, visitor greeting, etc.
If the QD is where you think FP resides…well, you've missed some better options.

In theory I agree with you, but considering now QD watchstanders are often armed, your point is moot.

Pags

N/A
pilot
In theory I agree with you, but considering now QD watchstanders are often armed, your point is moot.
Our standard complement of QD watchstanders is not usually armed. But when the FP condition merits it additional armed watchstanders are added to the watch.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Talk of a new det site being Jacksonville...

How the hell does that work? Would you go out to the Warning area? I was trying to work high-spins for a FCF a few years ago and JAX was helpful, but with all the .mil airspace, it was still going to be a challenge.

If it did happen, everyone would need to head to St. Augustine and mob that place for that one dickhead in the tower. If you still had them (and he was on duty), I'd say go pee on the tower with your whiz tubes, too. But alas...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Base out of Cecil, use the MOAs and Warning areas for PA and Forms, and use OLF Whitehouse for solos.

Of course, what do I know, I'm not at Whiting...