• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS SWO Board 10 Feb 20

Jbyrne89

Highly speculative question: I'm on this board as well, but have just been offered a wonderful opportunity to do some work that would keep me busy until the first week of August or so. While I would love to accept the offer, I am also mindful that my doing so might coincide with admittance to OCS, and perhaps a start date before August. If that were to be the case, and my start date at OCS was in June or July for example, I would have to pass on the work offer.
Does anyone know the likelihood that selection dates for this board will be BEFORE August? Or is it more likely that those selected on this board will be slotted into classes starting later in FY20 and early FY21?

so, I’m in a similar spot. I was asked to work on a senate campaign that would keep me busy until early November (which I turned down hoping that OCS will work out). From what I’ve heard, you can request a specific ship date but that whether or not you get it will depend on the needs of the Navy and availability of seats in each class for prospective SWOs. Admittedly, I’m not an authority on any of this and learned it from a guy I went to school with who was previously a SWO. If I’m wrong please correct me haha

exNavyOffRec

Highly speculative question: I'm on this board as well, but have just been offered a wonderful opportunity to do some work that would keep me busy until the first week of August or so. While I would love to accept the offer, I am also mindful that my doing so might coincide with admittance to OCS, and perhaps a start date before August. If that were to be the case, and my start date at OCS was in June or July for example, I would have to pass on the work offer.
Does anyone know the likelihood that selection dates for this board will be BEFORE August? Or is it more likely that those selected on this board will be slotted into classes starting later in FY20 and early FY21?

What did you put for date available?

HSalt

Some of those selected on the November board are getting July dates. If it were me, I would take the offer and keep myself occupied in the meantime. The selection rate is not 100% and you might as well get a little extra income.

Just do the right thing and give your employer at least a two week notice before you ship out.

sldm992

Some of those selected on the November board are getting July dates. If it were me, I would take the offer and keep myself occupied in the meantime. The selection rate is not 100% and you might as well get a little extra income.

Just do the right thing and give your employer at least a two week notice before you ship out.
I agree. Take the job because it’s not guaranteed that SWO will work out, at least now. Might as well have some contingency plan just in case. Any employer would understand if you have to leave for military so don’t worry

GAhnee

I was worried about this happening after I posted about my experience in the Nov board conversation. I don’t want others to start overthinking the situation. The fact that they are still holding this board is a good sign if you ask me. I don’t think anyone should panic/ worry about it. Stay focused, stay positive, and let the process play out. If your as competitive as you can be you have nothing to worry about. Wishing the best of luck to everyone on this board!
I think my main concern with this, is that I have a lower end GPA and graduate a month after the board meets. Turns out you should take college seriously and go to class for your first two years. Who knew?

Acsantosus

I think my main concern with this, is that I have a lower end GPA and graduate a month after the board meets. Turns out you should take college seriously and go to class for your first two years. Who knew?
I don’t know what your GPA is but I will say that to the best of my knowledge the board takes into account the “whole person process”. Meaning that if you have a low GPA for example but your last 1-2 years of school have been all A’s. Hopefully your OR had you address the early years in your personal statement. You should have nothing to worry out. Your OAR is pretty high and depending on what else you have in your package a lower GPA is not going to prevent your selection. Good luck!

n0rthstar

Honestly, I think people are unnecessarily worried about your post. It seems as though people are under the impression that the boards are now drastically more selective instead of recognizing that those selected will likely just have a later OCS date into FY21. This is especially relevant for this board, because it explicitly states that it's selecting for FY20/FY21.

I may be wrong, but I imagine if you're competitive, you're sitting in approximately the same boat you would have been in the first place.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I have had candidates with lower GPA's who rec'd a N before they graduated, then turned around and resubmitted then rec'd a Y

GAhnee

nothing really, the only thing that changed was that their last terms grades came in and they rec'd their diploma, the fact they graduated when there is a low GPA kind of ensures they can ship to OCS as opposed to being selected then tanking a classes and becoming an issue.
This is kind what I was assuming was how it’s done. I’m obviously hoping for the best, but I can always apply again so I’m not necessarily overly concerned.

Nicholsq

FMF DOC
I got some good news today! My age waiver has been approved and I will be on this board.

Good luck to all the other applicants! I'm going to just keep running and studying Appendix B in the meantime.
Congrats....when was your package submitted if you don't mind me asking. Got a friend that's waiting on a waiver as well.