• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Survival Gear and Preparation...

FlyinRock

In my recent deployment to Uganda, I took along a water purifier that worked to perfection. It is the Steri-Pen Classic. I got it at Bass-Pro and have found others on eBay. I loaded mine with Lithium batteries and treated ALL the water I drank on deployment and it worked to perfection. I shit you not!
I am so impressed with them, I bought 2 more for the home huirricane kit. The classic is a bit heavy and bulky, size/weight about like a bottle of Tabasco sauce but I'll make damned sure it goes with me on every trip in the future. If you don't have good water to drink you'll be in deep shit before long.
My unit will purify about 600 gallons before i need to replace anything. Ample for a survival situation. Cost less than $75
Rocky

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
In my recent deployment to Uganda, I took along a water purifier that worked to perfection. It is the Steri-Pen Classic. I got it at Bass-Pro and have found others on eBay. I loaded mine with Lithium batteries and treated ALL the water I drank on deployment and it worked to perfection. I shit you not!
I am so impressed with them, I bought 2 more for the home huirricane kit. The classic is a bit heavy and bulky, size/weight about like a bottle of Tabasco sauce but I'll make damned sure it goes with me on every trip in the future. If you don't have good water to drink you'll be in deep shit before long.
My unit will purify about 600 gallons before i need to replace anything. Ample for a survival situation. Cost less than $75
Rocky

Is that the UV light thing? I thought it was cool, but I didn't know anybody who had one. Now I do. Now I'll probably buy one. Thanks.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Is that the UV light thing? I thought it was cool, but I didn't know anybody who had one. Now I do. Now I'll probably buy one. Thanks.

You know with the proper knowledges, you can sit water in containers out in the sun for a day or two and the same UV purification takes place. :icon_wink

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Seen the video of quik-clot vs. pig arterial bleeding, saw the black marks on the skin all around the wound cavity at the end where the 2nd/3rd degree burns scorched the piggy.

Good for bacon, but I think I would rather use a 1-handed tourniquet if possible.

Of course, if it comes down to it, I suppose I will take what I can get vice bleeding out.

this vid?

busdriver

None
something to remember with quickclot, yes it burns the ever loving shit out of surrounding tissue, IF you get your hands on the old stuff. The newest variety has supposedly fixed this problem. A tourniquet works, and with modern medicine it isn't the amputation sentence it used to be.

In short, get with your local doc and get his opinion of when to actually use whatever it is you have, but quickclot is invaluable, you can't tourniquet a bullet hole in your left ass cheek that nicks an artery. A saw ammo pouch will hold everything you need for combat trauma for one, whether you can really apply all that to yourself is another story.

FlyinRock

You know with the proper knowledges, you can sit water in containers out in the sun for a day or two and the same UV purification takes place. :icon_wink
I might get real thirsty in a day or two! The Steri-Pen takes about 40 seconds for a half liter and about 90 seconds for a liter. The only requirement is to utilize clean water, that is filtering out the dirt, trash, etc using a T shirt or close woven material. Panty hose makes a good filter but I don't know many pilots who wear them in the field. But, they are great to wear in the winter under wool pants!!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm confused by this "Quick-Clot burns you" thing. The medics who were teaching us how to use the stuff specifically said it didn't cauterize the wound like the old stuff, just very quickly clotted it.

Pags

N/A
pilot

Then why can't you drink water from a sunny mountain stream? Or why if I leave a bucket of water out in the sun, it just ends up getting scummy?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Rocky

The ultimate wish when drinking untested water. :)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
I'm confused by this "Quick-Clot burns you" thing. The medics who were teaching us how to use the stuff specifically said it didn't cauterize the wound like the old stuff, just very quickly clotted it.

FWIW, as far as I understand, the stuff isn't hot IOT cauterize the wound, it is just very exothermic while it is reacting with liquids to form the clot.

busdriver

None
Also, it's the original quikclot formulation that gives off lots of heat, the newer stuff is supposedly "fixed."

Lawman

None
Also, it's the original quikclot formulation that gives off lots of heat, the newer stuff is supposedly "fixed."

It will still cause serious damage if it comes into contact with anything that isnt the wound... Like eyes. Hense why you do not want to open it with your teeth like you see in the movies.

busdriver

None
Very true, they also make a "combat gauze" that has the agent embedded into it. I imagine that would help keep the little granules under control, but I haven't felt the need to actually open any of mine just to see what they look like.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Very true, they also make a "combat gauze" that has the agent embedded into it. I imagine that would help keep the little granules under control, but I haven't felt the need to actually open any of mine just to see what they look like.

That stuff should have the new formulation in it. The new stuff is way less exothermic. 105*F tops, if I recall. They're like sponges that you pack the wound with.

Stearmann4

I'm here for the Jeeehawd!
None
Unfortunately, I've found myself enexpectedly a member of the ground force, and this is what was most useful: (at least in the desert)
1. Light sources (Phantom light, Petzl around my neck, and a small mag light)
2. a 1qt "Pakteen"(Camelbak) of water on the side of my vest
3. Signaling devices

I've collected AARs from our guys who have found themselves in the same spot (unfortunately) and can PM more detailed information as well as a class I made to teach common sense flight gear set up for survival.

We also have very specific requirements on our vests and flight uniform as to where stuff is stored.

Almost forgot, the true savior of the event; a small fleece cap I kept in one of the pockets on my vest. After all the moving around and sweating, I started shivering like a puppy sh*tting razor blades. The "right angle" cap - cuz' it makes everything right, saved the night and probably me.

I had food on me, but never thought for a second of slowing down enough to eat it. I'm glad I had the qt of water. Running and being (really) scared, my mouth felt like it has a spoonful of dirt in it the entire night. You just have to discipline yourself to not drink out of your Camelbak while you're flying and use a water bottle, etc

Pt2; Make all the important pouches on your vest (PRC-112, GPS, Med, Strobe) left, or non-shooting hand accessible. When you're on the move, I guarantee you would rather cut off a finger than take your hand off your weapon (rifle if you're a helo guy) while you're fumbling around for a signalling device, etc. Bottom line, you don't want your "killing hand" to ever have to leave the weapon grip.

MR-