• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Unless you hit the engine or the pilot. That's what got von Richthofen. One .303 British round through the heart.

200px-Mvrredbaron.jpg

You sure it wasn't Australian? The controversy has been long waged over whether it was a Canadian pilot (Capt Roy Brown) who was in pursuit of the Red Fokker Triplane or one of several Australian Anti-Aircraft machine gunners who all fired at the distinctive red aircraft. Granted the bullet was likely made in the UK so you could say it was "British" after all.

MasterBates

At least I did not take a picture.. Or the "Things that have been seen, CANNOT BE UNSEEN" cat would be making an appearance.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That's a serious AW addiction right there. . .might be time for an intervention.:eek:

Or a new construction project for MB.:D

In my bachelor days, I always wanted to combine an ejection seat with a toilet so that not only would it be visually striking, but functional (ie pull ejection handle to flush). Significant other that rules the domestic side of my domincile isn't keen on military decorations of any kind so I'll have to think about it at the office.....now MB could do it in his Puma with his metalworking skills.

CAVU

just livin' the dream...
None
Great summary and I am curious how much the syllabus has changed if at all since 2006:

- T-2 mothballing and the Growler starting to come on line.

- Is VT-86 selecting ECMOs for either EA-6B or Growler pipeline or is Growler now it?

What is the typical length of time from first sim to winging for Navy ECMO and strike/fighter types?

Mustang83

Professional back-seat driver
None
T-45's in full swing,
1st stud to pick Growlers winged last Friday.
Navy types are selecting both Prowlers and Growlers now, but Prowler #'s are steadily decreasing.
I started API Jan 08, plan to wing if I get ECMO, late May 09, late July if I get Hornets.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great summary and I am curious how much the syllabus has changed if at all since 2006:

- T-2 mothballing and the Growler starting to come on line.

- Is VT-86 selecting ECMOs for either EA-6B or Growler pipeline or is Growler now it?

What is the typical length of time from first sim to winging for Navy ECMO and strike/fighter types?

The pipeline selection is now:

Strike: EA-6B's (Navy & Marine Corps) and B-1B (AF)
Strike-Fighter: Boeing (Navy & Marine Corps) or F-15's (AF)

The Navy guys & gals selected for Growlers will find out during ATM after the Weaps check ride.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
6 months for Primary and Intermediate...ask Rob about advanced...

beaverslayer

pilot
So I realize that I'm thinking about step 437 when I've just barely gotten past step 1 (final select SNA), but I'm really curious about some things. I've been looking around on this site and others trying to find out as much as I can about the various models of the F/A-18, since that is my dream assignment.

I know that the main difference between the E/F models are single vs double seats, but what are the pros and cons of the different arrangements? Do they (in general) receive different types of missions? I.E. ATA rather than ATG?

On another note, for those of you guys that have flown one or the other: do you have a preference? Are there clear advantages or disadvantages to one or the other? Again, these are questions that just aren't published anywhere that I can find.