• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
For those curious about the acquisition process and where JSF stands in it: click on the link and check out the chart. From there you might have to use the google quite a bit depending upon how much or little you already know now, but you can gain an understanding of where the program sits and where it has to go next.

Edit: Forty pages worth of acronyms and another 150 of definitions...

Is there a "you are here" sticker I can use to figure out where we already are?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Once we've established our presence, you can start hanging shit on the wings and throw the LO out the window.

What's LO?

Interesting opinions by the way. Last semester I took a course nearly entirely focused on the Defense Acquisition Process - it was pretty interesting so its cool to be able to remember what I learned there and then see what you all are saying about this program.

Lawman

None
What's LO?

Interesting opinions by the way. Last semester I took a course nearly entirely focused on the Defense Acquisition Process - it was pretty interesting so its cool to be able to remember what I learned there and then see what you all are saying about this program.

Low Observability (Stealth).

Like he said, once we kill all the enemy radars and missile sites you could fly biplanes with bombs on them and not worry about the ground threat.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Like he said, once we kill all the enemy radars and missile sites you could fly biplanes with bombs on them and not worry about the ground threat.

Ironically many biplanes would be LO, all that fabric and wood at such low speeds would be pretty hard to pick up.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Is there a "you are here" sticker I can use to figure out where we already are?

Milestone B was Oct 01, LRIP was approved in Spring 06, and I believe the SDD contract runs through 2013 or so (all those are from memory - I think they are pretty close but offer no guarantees). Note: I linked to the most current version of the chart, but the JSF was initiated under older versions, so don't look for a perfect matchup of terms/positions, etc.

For those really interested in the program's issues try the reading below - please note that DOD has the opportunity to respond to GAO's recommendations and their response is included in an appendix.

JSF GAO report Mar 07

Congressional Research Services Oct 07 report

JSF GAO report Mar 08

Lawman

None

"Minimize noise impact"..... are they out of their F'ing minds! Its Eglin AFB. Thats like living next to a fire department and bitching about the sirens. Then again you could build an airport on Mars and somebody would be stupid enough to build a house next to it and complain about the noise.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yea until the guy on the ground points his AK skyward and lets a rip tearing your precious fabric plane to shreds. :D

If you read some of the personal accounts of WWI pilots you would be surprised at just how much punishment some of those planes could take for being wood and fabric. The same with the British Hurricane (metal frame but largely wood and fabric skin) and Mosquito in WWII. The bullets often passed right through causing little damage.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or the accounts of the Night Witches in Russia. Female pilots who flew biplane bombers at night. They shut down the engine to glide over German positions avoiding visual and acoustic detection to drop a couple bombs ruining Werhmact crew rest then airstart and fly home.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or the accounts of the Night Witches in Russia. Female pilots who flew biplane bombers at night. They shut down the engine to glide over German positions avoiding visual and acoustic detection to drop a couple bombs ruining Werhmact crew rest then airstart and fly home.

Very similar to what the North Koreans did during the Korean War, they used older prop planes to harass allied troops and hit supplies at night. The USAF jet fighters were too fast for these very slow moving prop planes so they called in the Navy. Guy Bordelon, the only Navy ace of the war, got all 5 of his kills at night bagging those 'Bedcheck Charlies' at the end of the war in his F4U-5N Corsair.

Story of CDR Bordelon's kills

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you read some of the personal accounts of WWI pilots you would be surprised at just how much punishment some of those planes could take for being wood and fabric. The same with the British Hurricane (metal frame but largely wood and fabric skin) and Mosquito in WWII. The bullets often passed right through causing little damage.
Unless you hit the engine or the pilot. That's what got von Richthofen. One .303 British round through the heart.