• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

Lawman

None
Contract Proposals for 6th Generation Fighter as a Follow On to F-22/F-35

Boeing

skull001.jpg

Lockheed-Martin

TIE_interceptor.jpg

Northrop Grumman

X-wing_s01.jpg

I think we may be getting a little ahead of ourselves with this one....

FLY_USMC

pilot
in my humble opinion the A thru C models bought little that wasn't already available on the A-6, A-7 & F-14.
If I read this right, your saying the A through D Hornet wasn't needed, SSOO since I can say this with "nearly" pure anonymity, you're either an old steam gauge sim instructor who still thinks the A-4 is the end all/be all of jet aircraft and using the HUD is a crutch, OOORRRR, your f_cking smoking crack, so which is it?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I knew this thread wouldn't get 3 posts further without you picking up on that....:)
Then I beat ya .... as it didn't even get 1 post further .... beware the wily Bogey. :icon_wink

The A-4 Skyhawk. The finest tactical jet anyone's ever mounted up ...

A4's Forever!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I'm curious as to what the Boeing "sixth generation" will be. I'm thinking UCAV. I guess Boeing is saying the Navy should save some money so it can afford the really good stuff in 2024.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
I'm curious as to what the Boeing "sixth generation" will be. I'm thinking UCAV. I guess Boeing is saying the Navy should save some money so it can afford the really good stuff in 2024.
I was actually pretty serious about the Super x 3 Hornet, I remember years ago watching one of those Super Hornet roll out videos (on vhs, lol) and they were talking about the future of the bug all the way out to Block IV which, from the artists conception, was a blended wing body... But this was 10-11 years ago, and I haven't found any other information since.

Heres some semi official info on what the (coming online) Block II+ Super Hornet looks like
http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2007/03/13/212600/ultra-hornet.html

RBI grants you a non-exclusive licence to access and use the Materials for your personal purposes. You may not reproduce or distribute any part of the content for commercial purposes.

Nose

pilot
If I read this right, your saying the A through D Hornet wasn't needed, SSOO since I can say this with "nearly" pure anonymity, you're either an old steam gauge sim instructor who still thinks the A-4 is the end all/be all of jet aircraft and using the HUD is a crutch, OOORRRR, your f_cking smoking crack, so which is it?

F-18 A-D with a combat load carried less ordinance than an A-6 (Go ahead, make the Pk/jet to DMPI ratio argument, I'll counter that too), was underpowered, didn't carry enough gas (so we went from 1+40 cycles to 1+15 or less, had almost no bringback. It's big selling point was that it was ready for PGMs, but then they hung the LANTIRN on the Tomcat and the Hornet wasn't much more than a short legged CAP.

It is easy to land on the ship and great in a knife fight. We do one of those a lot, haven't done the other in 30+ years.

I'm disappointed that you feel you need anonymity to propose your points and I don't think you should lob F-Bombs at your elders!:D

Huggy Bear

pilot
F-18 A-D with a combat load carried less ordinance than an A-6 (Go ahead, make the Pk/jet to DMPI ratio argument, I'll counter that too), was underpowered, didn't carry enough gas (so we went from 1+40 cycles to 1+15 or less, had almost no bringback. It's big selling point was that it was ready for PGMs, but then they hung the LANTIRN on the Tomcat and the Hornet wasn't much more than a short legged CAP.

It is easy to land on the ship and great in a knife fight. We do one of those a lot, haven't done the other in 30+ years.

I'm disappointed that you feel you need anonymity to propose your points and I don't think you should lob F-Bombs at your elders!:D

I won't compare E-2's and Awacs because I have never sat in either. Unless you have flown A-6's, F-14's and F-18's your arguments are academic. In Afghanistan and Iraq the hornets went everywhere the tomcats did and employed more variety of ordnance than the tomcats. F-18's employed all J-weps and tomcats just got Jdam in time for Iraq.

freshy

Genius by birth. Slacker by choice.
pilot
Boeing has a plan to sell generation "4.75" Super Hornets (as opposed to gen. 4.5 we have now) to tide the Navy over until a 6th generation Fighter comes out in 2024 (which I'd assume would have to be a Super-Super-Super Hornet to make that timeline - Engineering Change of Proposal must be the golden ticket for defense contractors :D)

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene... Generation Fighter With Block 3 Super Hornet

It's funny. This is the exact stance the Marines have taken with regard to the "super" hornet. Let's skip the whole "super" hornet thing and get the next generation fighter, the JSF. I dunno, I think the supers will be around for a long time to come. The Navy is the one with the money...so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

FLY_USMC

pilot
I won't compare E-2's and Awacs because I have never sat in either.
Well thought out:)

I will lob F-bombs, anywhere and everywhere:)

I stand by what I said, and lets be honest, anyone who throws the A-7 into the mix is a retard.

I chose my anonymity statement based on Fog's numero uno post count. For all I know he's COMNAVPACSINWESTLEADDEVILDOG and didn't want to get wailed on too hard.