• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Stupid questions about the Rhino (Super Hornet)

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
I didn't mean for this to be a who has the better airplane thing. Just my blood boiled a bit when I heard that someone went to the CO crying. Were talking tears down the cheeks crying because he didn't get his first choice. Plenty of stories about people getting mad after selection, and saying stupid ****, which makes them that guy. But a military officer crying in the COs office over selecting a jet that wasn't cool enough makes him that guy with a bag of chips.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
BigWorm said:
(Worm's post)

Look at it this way, if it's being discussed on here, his future squadron will know for sure, and if it's true, and if they're worth a d@mn, he'll get his a$s handed to him daily.

MRGkp04

None
Updated VT-86 Summary (Universal MNTS)

I've been a long time reader of this site but never done any posting. Since I'm just sitting around waiting for orders I figured I'd update whats going on in 86 now since the universal syllabus is now in use (and has been so for awhile), and hopefully it will help current and incoming studs. Most of the information im PatUSMC's post is still relevant, however, there are now different numbers of flights in some of the blocks, some different checkrides, and the biggest change is now where selection is. Ground school hasnt really changed. No strike fighter except for Re-attack covered.

Air Navs-2 Flights, AN-2 End of Block (try to get a x/c if you can)

RST's-4 Sim Events, starts with RST-0, RST-3 is end of block. These are your introduction to radar navigation. Get in the sime and run it again and again. I had over 50 hours before I got in the plane, and I still could have used more. Work on getting your winds on the first leg.

RN's-3 Flights, RN-3 is a check ride. These are your radar nav flights where you find out how perfect the sim radar is. HIGHLY recommend an observer hop before you fly. These are the same routes you flew in the sim.

Low Levels-2 Flights, NO checkride anymore, just EOB on #2. Should be more in my opinion because most studs (including myself) dont look outside enough.

STS (Strike Timing Sim)-1 Sim Event, your introduction to the exciting world of high level timing. You will probably be relatively clueless, everyone in my class was. Listen to your instructor and get the most out the techniques they show you.

SRS (Strike Radar Sim)-1 Sim Event, you do high level timing, then run through the entire strike route. Though you obviously cant see on the visual legs, the instructor will tell you what he sees on the computer so you have an idea of where you are.

Strikes-3 Flights, Strike 3 is now a check ride.

CST (Composite Strike Sim)- 3 Sim Events, CST-3 is a checkride, and it is a show-and-go, meaning you dont have the route before hand, the instructor gives you the required chart and you fly it. These can be tough so practice. Also, the instructor usually makes you rediculously late to the entry point, just to illustrate how much time you can save using geometry.

Comps-5 Flights, Comp-5 is a checkride (show and go). These are the most fun flights like Pat said. You only get 5 now and the checkride is a LONG day. You come in early to plan and the instructor gives you your route, you do the timing and make the charts, then you fly it. CHECK THE WX FIRST! Make sure you can fly the route, then start the planning.

Reattack Sims-4 Sim Events. This is the newest part of the universal syllabus. All jet studs now learn basic air-to-air. They took away two sims from the old syllabus, so practice practice practice! If you arent in the sim for at least 5 hours on sunday, you arent trying hard enough! Get help from S/F guys ahead of you, and if you think you are on the weak side, do your runs with people who have a better grasp than you.

Reattack Flights-2 Flights. Your first reattack is an EOB, the 2nd is a checkride(!). Thats why I said practice. In general, you seem to have more time than in the sim. Its all about the low notch too...brief it. Also, practice your high tacans, you dont want to bust a good flight because of an approach.

SELECTION! After all those events you select. Guys who select fighter will continue on with the fighter syllabus. Airforce Strike selectees get winged. Navy/USMC Strike selectees move on to the T-2 syllabus

T-2 Basic Instruments-3 Sim Events. The T-2 Sim is OLD SCHOOL, but it gets the job done. In BIs you will do some in pilot mode to improve your scan, then go to NFO mode, navigate to the MOA and shoot an approach.

T-2 EPs-2 Sim Events. As advertised, you will be in NFO mode and have EPs thrown at you. Make sure you know them.

T-2 Radio Intruments-4 Sim Events. In RI's you will be in NFO mode, takeoff, navigate, and shoot an approach, much like T-6 instrument sims. Keep an eye on the fuels! And watch the fuel. Dont forget to check the fuel. But you still will, and we all have. But by the time you get flight side it should be engrained in your head.

T-2 Fam Flights-3 Flights, Fam-3 is a checkride. Again, fuel, approaches, and comms are the big thing. Pull some G's in the MOA to get you ready for BFMs.

T-2 Section Weps-2 Flights. You do a low level with wingman. Your fam procedures and section procedures are the most important part, the pilots will help you nav it pretty good, unlike T-6 low levels. Be sure you give estimated fuels each leg in your calls.

T-2 Division Wep-1 Flight. Now you are a 4 ship instead of two. Practice the wagon wheel pattern in a parking lot until you dont screw it up. Lately they have been using an oil rig in the whiskey area vice going to the range, so the charts havent been needed, but do the chart anyhow because you never know.

T-2 BFM-6 Flights, BFM-6 is a checkride. Here you get to learn the basics of dogfighting. The important things are: Fam procedures (fuel, point to points to W-155 entry). Section procedures (wingman calling out joinup speeds-do it the point of annoyance and they tell you to stop, make sure you are on the correct side for the break 5-7 nm prior to intial). Tac Turns-practice these with your partner a lot. They cant really bust you for not knowing everything thing about dogfighting, but if you screw up your turns, fam, or admin procedures the instructors will not be happy.

So thats pretty much the flow of the new syllabus. Anyone who has any questions about any individual block can ask me. Let me leave off with some things that all studs at or going to 86 should follow.

1. Get in the sim. A lot. You should be spending hours there, log them all in your junk jacket.

2. Talk to your PAs at least once a week and get them to sign your junk jacket. I had a great PA who was always willing to help, most are. When you run into trouble, tell them and they can help you.

3. Failing a flight is not the end of the world. When you have a bad day, dont let it eat away at you, and try and bounce back. Geez I might have the record for failed flights. Keep on hooking and jabbing. That being said:

4. Attitude and work ethic is EVERYTHING at VT-86. If you are busting your ass, instructors are more willing to go out of their way to help you. Keep your chin up, know your EPs, and practice your briefs. For the most part, a good brief is followed by a good flight.

5. Good luck to current and future 86 studs. Remember if you have any questions ask me and I'll try to help you out best I can.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good post, interesting to see how things have changed in just a few years. Any word on what might replace the T-2's and when? Good plane, just the basics and plenty good enough ;).

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
[slight course correction/threadjack]

VT-86 didn't exist when I went through VT-4 (pilot STUD guns and CQ).

We interfaced (that word had not even been invented yet :)) with the VT-10 NFO STUDS on a couple of "solo" gun pattern hops --- i.e., putting Aviator STUDs in the same A/C with NFO STUDs in the gun pattern !!! WOW !!! LOOK OUT !!!

It was GREAT .... all of us loved it (almost like a "real crew" in our young, skulls full of cottage cheese worlds) .... and the pilot STUDs really, really tried to do well and "look professional" for the NFO STUDs .... give them confidence in us and "look" like we knew what we were doing.

A watershed in our training ... both seats .... and we all loved it.:)

[/slight course correction/threadjack]

MRGkp04

None
Well from what I was told, using the low notch changes the settings of the filter so that it will pick up stuff that moves slower (or something to that effect, im a strike guy!). The default setting is medium. If you use the low notch though, your target will appear faster, and will not pull the appear/disappear job nearly as much. I guess the tradeoff is that you have a chance of picking up other slower aircraft since you change the filter settings of the radar, but out in the whiskey area there really isnt too many other planes kicking around (usually). When I was going through reattacks, several advanced fighter studs and and instructor recommended using the low notch. It was noticeably better when I did use it (although I had all of two air to air flights), maybe a fighter guy can explain it better though!

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Well from what I was told, using the low notch changes the settings of the filter so that it will pick up stuff that moves slower (or something to that effect, im a strike guy!). The default setting is medium. If you use the low notch though, your target will appear faster, and will not pull the appear/disappear job nearly as much. I guess the tradeoff is that you have a chance of picking up other slower aircraft since you change the filter settings of the radar, but out in the whiskey area there really isnt too many other planes kicking around (usually). When I was going through reattacks, several advanced fighter studs and and instructor recommended using the low notch. It was noticeably better when I did use it (although I had all of two air to air flights), maybe a fighter guy can explain it better though!

Alright... I was thinking of a tactical maneuver referred to as the "notch" which is generally classified... thought for a second they'd fit that into the VT-86 syllabus!

[disregard unless you're curious about radar]

You're roughly correct in what you're talking about... I'll try to clarify. With radar, you're facing the problem of detecting a big, solid object (a plane) by throwing electrons at it. Unfortunately, there's an even bigger solid object out there called the ground. Even if your radar isn't pointed downward, it's not a laser beam. There will be energy which "spills out" and returns to your dish (sidelobe return)... so you always face the problem of false returns which clutter your radar display.

Part of the solution is doppler processing. If you ever watch the military channel, you hear about "look down-shoot down" radars being a huge development. What they do is filter out any returns which don't have a doppler shift (i.e.-- the object it's returning from isn't moving toward or away from you).

How you do that depends on a number of factors... but how much faith you have in your radar receiver is part of it. Can your radar accurately distinguish between a zero doppler return and a 20 knot? Or will there be some ambiguity, simply because it isn't that precise? So they set doppler "notches" which are user-selectable... that way you can tell it "anything below x knots closure we'll assume is just ground return".

The plus to using a low notch is that you're going to have the maximum number of returns possible show up on your radar screen (the target is unlikely to be filtered out). The downside is that you could just end up with a sh!t-ton of false returns which clutter your scope... "birdies" or "ghost trackfiles".

Clear as mud??

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Forget the JSF buy Super! Super Hornets, Says Boeing

Boeing has a plan to sell generation "4.75" Super Hornets (as opposed to gen. 4.5 we have now) to tide the Navy over until a 6th generation Fighter comes out in 2024 (which I'd assume would have to be a Super-Super-Super Hornet to make that timeline - Engineering Change of Proposal must be the golden ticket for defense contractors :D)

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/gene... Generation Fighter With Block 3 Super Hornet

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Very odd. Regardless of how Boeing has to posture to fend off LM, one would think that JSF just has way too much momentum behind it.

We'd be much more likely to hear about the Marine Corps finally breaking down and buying E/F's as a stop gap than the Navy buying some weirdo Hornet v4.798 so they can skip the JSF.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
The "4.75 generation" F/A-18F, if purchased, would ensure that the Navy has spent 90% of its carrier a/c budgets for the past 30 years on F-18's. The lower maintenance rate on Hornets notwithstanding, in my humble opinion the A thru C models bought little that wasn't already available on the A-6, A-7 & F-14. And at $90MM per copy, the E&F models will likely seem cheap compared to the 4.75.